Mexico

BareBones

wheezy
around christmas 2009 there were loads of posters on the tube advertising a jeremy clarkson book with a slogan/quote saying something like "shakespeare? i'd rather poke my eyes out". My mate defaced one of them so that it said "culture? i'd rather drive a mercedes around pointlessly."

luka

That's the argument you said spengler makes. The land itself imposes a shape on its people

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think it's not quite the same, as he was talking about the USA and the descendents of European settlers, whereas many people in modern Mexico are descended partly or wholly from the original native inhabitants. And a lot of their beliefs weren't stamped out but sublimated into a very syncretic kind of Catholicism.

Plus of course it's possible to learn about your ancestors' beliefs from books or the Internet or whatever. I'd guess this is somewhat analogous to far-right groups in Northern Europe calling themselves the "Sons of Odin" or fetishising the Knights Templar.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Of course, on a poetic level it's hard not to think of Burroughs' line about how America "is not a young land. It is old and dirty and evil, before the settlers, before the Indians".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Titty-Twister club in 'From Dusk Till Dawn' that turns out to be built on top of an Aztec pyramid.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Horror movie stuff
100% not surprised it's Tepito, infamously the black market neighborhood and long (like, for centuries) associated with all manner of crime

it's always the example I use when telling people Mexico City isn't a place to fuck around unless you really know what you're doing

strangely it's very close to the zocalo (i.e. the Palacio Nacional etc) and the Zona Rosa (affluent/tourist/gay neighborhood) so it's easy to stumble on unawares

then again, here in Chicago we famously had one of the country's worst housing projects - Cabrini Green - about a mile from the Loop for decades

padraig (u.s.)

having said that, and acknowledging the staggering level/form of violence, power of the narcos and lack of state control in swathes of the country

it's too easy too to get a Sicario type impression of the country as just a chasm of severed heads etc

Mexico has always existed to some extent that way in the American psyche - lawlessness, violence, poverty - which isn't untrue but is one-dimensional and incomplete

let it never be forgotten that drug violence as presently constituted was kicked off by Calderon (two presidents past) declaring war on the cartels in 2006

largely as a way to drum up support/legitimacy following a very narrow electoral victory over Lopez Obrador (aka AMLO, longtime lefty and current prez)

not that everything was peachy keen before that, but the narcos - to my understanding - kept it among themselves to a much larger degree

and it spiraled totally out of control - both shattered the status quo into an endless churning sea of ever-increasing sea of savagery, and exposed fundamental weaknesses of the Mexican state

padraig (u.s.)

having said that

that shit with Chapo's son was fucking wild

narcos shooting down helicopters and shooting up cop/military columns isn't new, but taking over a whole city - not a tiny town up in the hills - like that is

padraig (u.s.)

sidenote on the Spengler/land/heritage side

there are Mexican Nazis or similar. it's wild. I never ran into any but a Mexican antifa type skin explained it to me once.

it's been many years but iirc the types

1) regular white (i.e. claiming only "Castilian" heritage) Nazis

2) more interesting - claiming that the mestizo union of European + indigenous is the master race - la raza cosmica of Jose Vasconcelos in place of the Aryan

they are both very fringe to my understanding, but do exist

on a more casual note you can buy Nazi stuff - shirts, copies of Mein Kampf, etc - from street vendors in Mexico City without anyone blinking

tho that has to do with ignorance I think, there being very few Jews in Mexico

luka

I went through a degenerate phase of watching YouTube videos about California's prison system and its either north or south Mexicans that side with the ayran nation and other white prison gangs

luka

You get the same thing in drill with the juju men. The baths that confer invulnerability. The magical rings.

luka

People who live in a world of violence and death and crime often turn to the Occult for protection. The standard gods don't really do the job.

padraig (u.s.)

re: the altar of skulls - is there genuine religious/spiritual/mystical sentiment behind stuff like that or is it just intimidation tactics?
both, depending on context, tho in this case probably just the former, given the occult overtones and that it wasn't publicly displayed

in general there's almost definitely an element of genuine belief in narco folk Catholicism, Santa Muerte etc

luke is pretty on the money as to the psychology of it, I think

reminds me of a line in a William Gibson book in re voodoo (paraphrasing) "you know this works man, it's street religion: you go to the gods who get job done"