The violence must end!

D

droid

sure, but so do Palestinian leaders (if not Palestinians, a distinction that could also be made for Israelis) & every bit as cynically, not to mention other Arab leaders who are always willing to fight to the last Palestinian but could care less about them otherwise.

& the Israelis of course have an advantage in military force but the Palestinians aren't helpless victims & painting them as such does them no favors.

I'm not painting them as anything, nor have I mentioned the arab states. All im saying is that in IR (also in real life to some extent), actors that have an overwhelming advantage in one area tend to exploit it. In Israels case this is observable through their consistent resort to force and subversion of, or refusal to negotiate.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I'm not painting them as anything, nor have I mentioned the arab states. All im saying is that in IR (also in real life to some extent), actors that have an overwhelming advantage in one area tend to exploit it. In Israels case this is observable through their consistent resort to force and subversion of, or refusal to negotiate.

one of my points was that you didn't mention the Arab states & ithat it's an important omission to make.

another point would be that that single overwhelming advantage masks equally overwhelming disadvantages in other areas - surely the Israelis wouldn't be compelled to take such a hard line if it was not a tiny island in a vast sea of Arabs.

I was also struck by your statement "with no one to restrain Israel" - surely Israel is in fact quite restrained *EDIT - to be clear, b/c of among other things international outcry/pressure* compared to Russia in Chechyna? or Central America in the 80s or numerous vicious civil wars in Africa? or what have you? not that I'm saying that it would be better if they were more vicious or that the military response isn't disproportionate, just that let's put this in perspective.

D

droid

one of my points was that you didn't mention the Arab states & ithat it's an important omission to make.

You state:

sure, but so do Palestinian leaders (if not Palestinians, a distinction that could also be made for Israelis) & every bit as cynically, not to mention other Arab leaders who are always willing to fight to the last Palestinian but could care less about them otherwise.

Violence is not the reflexive resort of Palestinians. There are mountains of evidence to show that they have been far more willing to negotiate than Israel has been over the last 30 years.

And what do the other Arab states have to do with the statement I was responding to? The last time an 'Arab' state used violence against Israel was in the first gulf war.

another point would be that that single overwhelming advantage masks equally overwhelming disadvantages in other areas - surely the Israelis wouldn't be compelled to take such a hard line if it was not a tiny island in a vast sea of Arabs.

Israel has had an overwhelming advantage in terms of force against all other states in the region since the 70s if not earlier, and of course this idea of Israel fighting against a 'sea of (hostile) Arab states' is a perennial myth. Nearly all the states surrounding Israel have either been absorbed into a regional framework dominated by the US (Egypt, Jordan), have shown a willingness to accept Israel in return for territory (Lebanon - and recently Syria), or have been neutralised as a military threat (Iraq). That leaves Iran, which despite the rhetoric and support for Hezbollah, have displayed far less hostile intent to Israel than Israel has to Iran.

I guess though that it is fair to say that some form of hostility from neighbouring states (or their populations) is an occupational hazard of colonialism.

None of this in anyway mitigates the appalling behaviour of many of these states with regard to Palestinian rights.

I was also struck by your statement "with no one to restrain Israel" - surely Israel is in fact quite restrained *EDIT - to be clear, b/c of among other things international outcry/pressure* compared to Russia in Chechyna? or Central America in the 80s or numerous vicious civil wars in Africa? or what have you? not that I'm saying that it would be better if they were more vicious or that the military response isn't disproportionate, just that let's put this in perspective.

So Israel was 'restrained' in the early wars in Lebanon when they tore the country to shreds and leveled Beruit? Restrained in the imprisonment (and torture in many cases) of aout 700,000 Palestinians since 1967? Restrained in Gaza when they bombed an imprisoned population that head been under siege for years? Speaking of perspective - Apartheid South Africa was certainly 'restrained' in comparison to Nazi Germany, but what does that tell us?

I take your point, but Id add that its always possible to point to other conflicts as being worse or more brutal, but without context you end up comparing apples to oranges. Obviously global public opinion does have an effect on Israels policies, but mainly in relation to how it effects US perception of their actions. Israel is not restrained in any way by the UN, and I don't think its too ridiculous to state that the only state that could restrain them has chosen not to - and in fact supplies them with massive military aid despite their actions.

D

droid

Stability and justice -- not absolute values.

Justice for who? Regimes which are found towards the authoritarian end of the spectrum may offer little in the way of legal equality. Application of the law may be pretty arbitrary. Justice serves the elite not the masses. Still the society in question may well be relatively stable given the likelihood of violence towards any who oppose the status quo.

Sure, and it all depends on how you define both (highly nebulous) terms, and how long a view you take. I was thinking in terms of intra-state conflicts such as NI, SA or Israel/Palestine.

I also wanted to get in on this whole gnomic thing that's been going on here recently.;)

D

droid

Just another note on this - As I said, I think that the strategic disadvantage of Israels' position has been largely nullified under the present circumstances. Where they do have a genuine disadvantage is in the arena of diplomacy and credibility in terms of negotiations.

vimothy

yurp
I'm not sure if "restrained" is an analytically useful term here. Israel is certainly constrained in various ways.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

Violence is not the reflexive resort of Palestinians. There are mountains of evidence to show that they have been far more willing to negotiate than Israel has been over the last 30 years.

1) I'm talking about leaders not the population at large & 2) so long as we're clear that's it's cos negotiation is more likely to bear fruit for them than armed conflict & not cos they're just inherently more open to negotiation than the (violent, negotiation-subverting) Israelis - tbf perhaps I should have just read this from your first post on the matter.

And what do the other Arab states have to do with the statement I was responding to? The last time an 'Arab' state used violence against Israel was in the first gulf war.

do they not have a major,. if not the prime, role in making sure that causes which drive the causes of violence (josef's 2nd tier) continue to exist? by refusing to aid the Palestinians or to take any of them in except in places where the govt is too weak to keep them out (& even there both countries eventually kicked the PLO out at gunpoint).

Israel has had an overwhelming advantage in terms of force against all other states in the region since the 70s if not earlier, and of course this idea of Israel fighting against a 'sea of (hostile) Arab states' is a perennial myth. Nearly all the states surrounding Israel have either been absorbed into a regional framework dominated by the US (Egypt, Jordan), have shown a willingness to accept Israel in return for territory (Lebanon - and recently Syria), or have been neutralised as a military threat (Iraq). That leaves Iran, which despite the rhetoric and support for Hezbollah, have displayed far less hostile intent to Israel than Israel has to Iran.

I guess though that it is fair to say that some form of hostility from neighbouring states (or their populations) is an occupational hazard of colonialism.

no it's not a myth. jesus christ. I didn't say "hostile Arab states" I said sea of Arabs. that's not to meant to be derogtary before you get your dander up. tho it's true that it's more nuanced - there have always been relatively good relations with Jordan for example. I'm also dubious about your assertion about Egypt (Mubarak, sure, but how much control does his regime have) & surely you understand why being "accepted" in return for bribes of land isn't exactly something to leap for joy about - tho I'm sure the Israelis will continue do it if it makes sense - they're nothing if not pragmatic.

& where's the home empire then that the pied noirs will go back to when this all comes crashing down? I find flippant remarks about colonialism to be pretty specious - especially as if any of the neighboring Arab states could give two shits about the Palestinians other than as a public relations tool - another fact that has mountains of evidence behind it.

So Israel was 'restrained'...Speaking of perspective - Apartheid South Africa was certainly 'restrained' in comparison to Nazi Germany, but what does that tell us?

you know what I meant. & I stand by it. you don't have to list off Israel's sundry crimes mate...I'm well aware of them, my dad's a rightwing religious Israeli nutbag...of course the Nazis have to get dragged into it. I dunno tho, what do you think that tells us, since you brought it up?

I take your point, but Id add that its always possible to point to other conflicts as being worse or more brutal, but without context you end up comparing apples to oranges. Obviously global public opinion does have an effect on Israels policies, but mainly in relation to how it effects US perception of their actions. Israel is not restrained in any way by the UN, and I don't think its too ridiculous to state that the only state that could restrain them has chosen not to - and in fact supplies them with massive military aid despite their actions.

that's exactly what I intended, to put it in context. you're perhaps thinking by "restrained" I meant morally justiifed. I just meant they physically have the ability to inflict greater damage & they choose not for a variety of reasons, some of which have to do with outside influence, others with segments of their population or other self-serving interests.

D

droid

1) I'm talking about leaders not the population at large & 2) so long as we're clear that's it's cos negotiation is more likely to bear fruit for them than armed conflict & not cos they're just inherently more open to negotiation than the (violent, negotiation-subverting) Israelis - tbf perhaps I should have just read this from your first post on the matter.

Yeah. Sure.

do they not have a major,. if not the prime, role in making sure that causes which drive the causes of violence (josef's 2nd tier) continue to exist? by refusing to aid the Palestinians or to take any of them in except in places where the govt is too weak to keep them out (& even there both countries eventually kicked the PLO out at gunpoint).

I dont believe so. Again, Im not ascribing any kind of noble aims to Arab states with regard to Palestinians. How exactly could they aid the Palestinian cause without resort to violence against Israel? Sure there are srong arguments for normailising the status of Palestinian refugees in Arab states, but there is considerable resistance to this from within those same communities as they fear it will mitigate against their (rightful) claims and right to return.

no it's not a myth. jesus christ. I didn't say "hostile Arab states" I said sea of Arabs. that's not to meant to be derogtary before you get your dander up. tho it's true that it's more nuanced - there have always been relatively good relations with Jordan for example. I'm also dubious about your assertion about Egypt (Mubarak, sure, but how much control does his regime have) & surely you understand why being "accepted" in return for bribes of land isn't exactly something to leap for joy about - tho I'm sure the Israelis will continue do it if it makes sense - they're nothing if not pragmatic.

It was remarkably close to the kind of rhetoric that is usually pumped out to justify Israeli aggression. Sorry for misreading you.

You can be dubious about my assertion about Egypt - but what happened with relations between Israel/Egypt after the Yom Kippur war? And has anything significant changed since then?

Pragmatism is the name of the game for everyone...

& where's the home empire then that the pied noirs will go back to when this all comes crashing down? I find flippant remarks about colonialism to be pretty specious - especially as if any of the neighboring Arab states could give two shits about the Palestinians other than as a public relations tool - another fact that has mountains of evidence behind it.

Er.. it wasnt a flippant remark. Israel is an almost classical example of a colonial state - not imperial. And as mentioned above, there is huge popular support for the Palestinian cause in neighbouring states, even if this is not reflected by their governments. As for the 'when it all comes crashing down' remark... :rolleyes: are you suggesting that Im advocating such an outcome?

you know what I meant. & I stand by it. you don't have to list off Israel's sundry crimes mate...I'm well aware of them, my dad's a rightwing religious Israeli nutbag...of course the Nazis have to get dragged into it. I dunno tho, what do you think that tells us, since you brought it up?

Er... did I compare Israel and Germany? Im quite baffled by your outrage here... what it tells us is that such comparisons are always at hand and almost never useful, as the contexts are often completely different

that's exactly what I intended, to put it in context. you're perhaps thinking by "restrained" I meant morally justiifed. I just meant they physically have the ability to inflict greater damage & they choose not for a variety of reasons, some of which have to do with outside influence, others with segments of their population or other self-serving interests.

No... I was simply unclear as to what you meant. I wasnt taking it in a moral context at all. You mentioned Chechnya and I think lebanon was a reasonable comparison as there was a similar scale of destruction.

I think you're misinterpreting my position here somewhat Padraig... sorry if I havent been clear.

padraig (u.s.)

I dont believe so. Again, Im not ascribing any kind of noble aims to Arab states with regard to Palestinians. How exactly could they aid the Palestinian cause without resort to violence against Israel? Sure there are srong arguments for normailising the status of Palestinian refugees in Arab states, but there is considerable resistance to this from within those same communities as they fear it will mitigate against their (rightful) claims and right to return.

the original question was about causes of violence & causes of those causes, in which context I was putting the Arab states. alright perhaps there's not much they could do but there's one thing they could stop doing - using the Palestinians as a goad to incite their own ppl & score pr points to take themselves in power.

You can be dubious about my assertion about Egypt - but what happened with relations between Israel/Egypt after the Yom Kippur war? And has anything significant changed since then?

aside from Sadat getting offed, no - what I mean is that everything's (relatively) hunky-dory as long as the massively corrupt & pretty brutal secular regime stays in power - which is a precarious thing yunno - Mubarak's 80 yrs old. what I'm about dubious that the masses of urban poor in Cairo & wherever have been "brought into line" with any U.S. policy. e.g. not something Israel would be wise to bank on.

Er.. it wasnt a flippant remark. Israel is an almost classical example of a colonial state - not imperial...for the 'when it all comes crashing down' remark... :rolleyes: are you suggesting that Im advocating such an outcome?

alright if you want to make that differentiation. I think it's a problematic one, given that the questions of who was there "first" & who has "more" of a right to be there are both so loaded - the relation of Israel to the territories sure but not Israel itself - you see the difference I'm getting at?

roll your eyes all you wish, I dunno what you're advocating...which brings us to...

I think you're misinterpreting my position here somewhat Padraig... sorry if I havent been clear.

fair play then.

D

droid

the original question was about causes of violence & causes of those causes, in which context I was putting the Arab states. alright perhaps there's not much they could do but there's one thing they could stop doing - using the Palestinians as a goad to incite their own ppl & score pr points to take themselves in power.

Well sure - its the classic use of an external threat/enemy (imagined or otherwise) to control populations as beloved by authoritarian and democratic governments alike...

aside from Sadat getting offed, no - what I mean is that everything's (relatively) hunky-dory as long as the massively corrupt & pretty brutal secular regime stays in power - which is a precarious thing yunno - Mubarak's 80 yrs old. what I'm about dubious that the masses of urban poor in Cairo & wherever have been "brought into line" with any U.S. policy. e.g. not something Israel would be wise to bank on.

Again, I agree with the broad thrust of this. Things may change in the near future, but as long as the dollars and arms keep flowing, Im sure another strongman will be found - thats not to say that things wont eventually boil over.

alright if you want to make that differentiation. I think it's a problematic one, given that the questions of who was there "first" & who has "more" of a right to be there are both so loaded - the relation of Israel to the territories sure but not Israel itself - you see the difference I'm getting at?

Well I dont really take 2 thousand year old claims seriously myself, and the waves of Jewish immigration, gaining momentum from the late 1800's on have been well documented, and of course there has been a small Jewish population in Jerusalem for centuries, but I dont think there is any serious debate over the fact that arabs occupied the land prior to Zionism.

But yes, its less about 'rights' at this stage and more about compromise. My original point was that the Palestinians (despite the use of terror) have shown a willingness to compromise. For whatever reasons, Israel has not.

fair play then.

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

padraig (u.s.)

But yes, its less about 'rights' at this stage and more about compromise. My original point was that the Palestinians (despite the use of terror) have shown a willingness to compromise. For whatever reasons, Israel has not.

then the pertinent question - & relevant to josef's original question about violence - would seem to be what, precisely, are those "whatever reasons" & why are they making Israel reluctant to make compromises.

D

droid

I think that's a tale for another thread :D - but it does bring us back to my original statement. A major reason why Israel won't compromise is because they don't have to compromise, they have massive military superiority over their adversaries, and they have learned that they can achieve their maximal aims through force - so why would they throw away this advantage? Im not making a moral judgment on the character of Israel here btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

vimothy

yurp
But can they really? I'm not so sure it's that straightforward. Looking, for instance, at Leb 06 and Gaza 08 would seem to suggest the opposite. Also, how would compromise diminish their military capability?

D

droid

But can they really? I'm not so sure it's that straightforward. Looking, for instance, at Leb 06 and Gaza 08 would seem to suggest the opposite.

Well, I think it's a valid point to make that the paradigm is shifting.

I'm not sure Israel has gotten the message though.