more Daily Mail absurdities

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"The sugar coating on this fatality is so saccharine-thick that it obscures whatever bitter truth lies beneath. Healthy and fit 33-year-old men do not just climb into their pyjamas and go to sleep on the sofa, never to wake up again."

Oh really, Dr Moir?

"Another real sadness about Gately's death is that it strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships. Gay activists are always calling for tolerance and understanding about same-sex relationships, arguing that they are just the same as heterosexual marriages. Not everyone, they say, is like George Michael.
Of course, in many cases this may be true. Yet the recent death of Kevin McGee, the former husband of Little Britain star Matt Lucas, and now the dubious events of Gately's last night raise troubling questions about what happened."

You hateful, snide, cheap, sneeky fucker, Moir

He really should be shot. But as we see time and time again, it only needs one 'oppportunity' for the veneer of tolerance slip and for everyone to see what is really underneath. "Tolerance"* is strictly conditional for lots of people.

Did I imagine it, or did I read in the papers that someone was seriously suggesting that Gately may have died because he smoked a spliff that night?!

* 'tolerance' is SUCH a patronising word, but you know what i mean.

Last edited:

PeteUM

It's all grist
Not much love for Moir on Twitter today, as you may be aware. Stephen Fry tweets:

"I gather a repulsive nobody writing in a paper no one of any decency would be seen dead with has written something loathesome and inhumane."

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
this is just brilliant on so many levels:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Mr-Blobby-theme-park-ravers-trash-site.html

'The ravers should have more respect for Mr Blobby. He was a hero to a lot of kids and the thought of them taking drugs and having all-night raves in his house is completely disrespectful.'

From the comments

First Alesha Dixon replaces our beloved Arelene Philips, and now Mr. Blobby is forced to live under such conditions, isn't it time that the BBC, a publicly-funded corporation I might add, acknowledges its duty and treats its ex-employees with more care and responsibility, I weep at the thought at what the future beckons for future britons.

crackerjack

From the comments

First Alesha Dixon replaces our beloved Arelene Philips, and now Mr. Blobby is forced to live under such conditions, isn't it time that the BBC, a publicly-funded corporation I might add, acknowledges its duty and treats its ex-employees with more care and responsibility, I weep at the thought at what the future beckons for future britons.

Is Chris Morris writing these comments?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"Sooo...would Mr. Blobby's house be the BEST place or the WORST place to take a hit of acid?"

A question worthy of consideration.

crackerjack

Jesus. Twitterers have been tracking the subtle headline shifts in this page, from this (original headline seen bottom right, under Femail Today); to this, though that has now reverted to this.

Basically the Mail must be sat there realising they've fucked up, wondering how best to make nice without eating a big handful of their own shite.

jenks

thread death
They seem to be on a bit of twitter hiding today!

Recently the twitter cycling community went for TV chef James Martin after he basically admitted to running a group of lycra lads off the in a Tesla electric car.
It went to the PCC but the complaints were rejected on the basis that they weren't empowered to censure his particular brand of fuck wittery.

Moir used to write amusing and quite waspish restaurant reviews for the Telegraph but here she seems so out of her depth.

He died because he was gay apparently.

This is an apt and speedy response:

http://www.dailyquail.org/2009/10/jan-moir-why-theres-nothing-natural.html

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Moir used to write amusing and quite waspish restaurant reviews for the Telegraph but here she seems so out of her depth.

V true, but it's terrifying that Moir should be out of her depth commenting on the death of another human being....

And yes, Chris Bryant is certainly the silver lining to all this. What does he have to say? Probably "It's all ruined!".

crackerjack

]The official statement.

Full statement by Jan Moir (via Ian Burrell)

Some people, particularly in the gay community, have been upset by my article about the sad death of Boyzone member Stephen Gately. This was never my intention. Stephen, as I pointed out in the article was a charming and sweet man who entertained millions.

However, the point of my column-which, I wonder how many of the people complaining have fully read – was to suggest that, in my honest opinion, his death raises many unanswered questions. That was all.

Yes, anyone can die at anytime of anything. However, it seems unlikely to me that what took place in the hours immediately preceding Gately’s death – out all evening at a nightclub, taking illegal substances, bringing a stranger back to the flat, getting intimate with that stranger – did not have a bearing on his death. At the very least, it could have exacerbated an underlying medical condition.

The entire matter of his sudden death seemed to have been handled with undue haste when lessons could have been learned. On this subject, one very important point. When I wrote that ‘he would want to set an example to any impressionable young men who may want to emulate what they might see as his glamorous routine’, I was referring to the drugs and the casual invitation extended to a stranger. Not to the fact of his homosexuality.

In writing that ‘it strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships’ I was suggesting that civil partnerships – the introduction of which I am on the record in supporting – have proved just to be as problematic as marriages.

In what is clearly a heavily orchestrated internet campaign I think it is mischievous in the extreme to suggest that my article has homophobic and bigoted undertones.”

Now let that be an end to the mischief.:rolleyes:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
The official statement (as it should have been):

"The entire article on his sudden death was written with undue haste because I am greedy and hateful. I am a disgrace. I will never write a word for publication again."

john eden

male pale and stale
The official statement (as it should have been):

"The entire article on his sudden death was written with undue haste because I am greedy and hateful. I am a disgrace. I will never write a word for publication again."

"in my honest opinion" you are completely correct Matt. Moir's article certainly "raises questions" about her being a hate-mongering bigot, and I would certainly not want any impressionable young queer bashers or journalists to be influenced by her writing.