Addiction

polystyle

In the evening ...

It's true, booze fuels terror and despair, you could combat it quite easily by not drinking, the big thing is...the boredom of routine, or more specifically in my case, no routine. So, what now? What will I do for hours this evening? When I studied, I had purpose. I wanted to get 100% and win and go further. Without that, it's...a void. You get wasted, devolve to bonhomie, waste another night, then another day. The worst thing is days off, when you have no way or idea how to productively fill them. So you start drinking. This gets hellish very fast.

I hear this and it's definitely a part of the day's anxiety - what do you do in the evening ?
As free lancer I have gone through this stuff, most days you can deal ,
but some days you just think 'wtf else can I do to make this time worthwhile ...'.
And it feels like an easy slope off into the night.

Make a project, something to focus on, something worth battling for but boredom and fear are the mind killers.
Resist them as best you can.
You still have time.

Not like my man who I hinted at in earlier post on thread.
He's getting thin.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I hear this and it's definitely a part of the day's anxiety - what do you do in the evening ?
As free lancer I have gone through this stuff, most days you can deal ,
but some days you just think 'wtf else can I do to make this time worthwhile ...'.
And it feels like an easy slope off into the night.

But resisting some days has got to be a good start, no?

I'm interested - did this feeling intensify when you felt you ahdn't achieved anything (either work or something outside it), or was it entirely independent of feelings of achievement?

zhao

there are no accidents
sounds like i am, and my addictions are, the exact opposite of what people are describing.

boredom is not only never an issue, the opposite: i jump out of bed at 7 AM, no matter how tired, to work on shit because i'm so damn excited by all the things to be done. and getting high is always, without exception, an enhancement to the rush of creativity. sitting around watching TV or sleeping is the last thing i want to do while stoned: such a waste of a good high!!!

and this of course has its downside... i push myself past the point of exhaustion all the time, addicted to the excitement, the adrenaline... smoke way too much when i'm working on music... and feel like i'm burning my candle at both ends sometimes...

in short, i think i'm a workaholic.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Reminds me of a great 'opinion piece' in The Onion a few years back: the guy wrote something like "You know how some people are workaholics - like they're addicted to work? Well the funny thing is I'm a bit like that with booze! I guess you could me a 'boozaholic'...."

massrock

:slanted:

Apart from easily amused.

OK, what about soldiers who can't stop deserting their posts?

Oh never mind. :)

zhao

there are no accidents
hey what happened to the feldman ringtone!

but speaking of easily amused, the "everything is a joke" and "life is all just a laugh" attitude really bothers me. people that are not capable of being serious for just one second, and talk about something that they CARE about (because, presumably, there is nothing that they care about). people with zero depth who make a stupid joke out of EVERYTHING.

which may or may not be more of American thing, or just a entertainment culture thing,

the trouble with these people is that their cities have never been bombed and their mothers have never been told to shut up.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
people with zero depth who make a stupid joke out of EVERYTHING.

I know people who do this and I can confirm that it isn't indicative of a lack of depth. It's indicative of a lot of very grizzly and painful depth that they choose to ignore as a means of coping.

One of my friends, an infamous antihero to his friends with reckless abandon and seemingly inexhaustable amounts of luck, is like this. His character is so larger than life and self-destructive that he is verging on self-parody when he meets new people. In fact, he once told me "You only have problems when you think about them."

He is this warped, fearless frat boy type whose personality eclipses everybody elses'. He is also intensely homophobic. I suspect he is a closet homosexual. I also suspect that his personality has become so large, that he has begun to fear and obey it himself.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
sounds like i am, and my addictions are, the exact opposite of what people are describing.

boredom is not only never an issue, the opposite: i jump out of bed at 7 AM, no matter how tired, to work on shit because i'm so damn excited by all the things to be done. and getting high is always, without exception, an enhancement to the rush of creativity. sitting around watching TV or sleeping is the last thing i want to do while stoned: such a waste of a good high!!!

and this of course has its downside... i push myself past the point of exhaustion all the time, addicted to the excitement, the adrenaline... smoke way too much when i'm working on music... and feel like i'm burning my candle at both ends sometimes...

Well, at least you're getting your work done and you seem to be enjoying it. You might need to take more breaks, but I think if you were technically an addict you wouldn't be enjoying your work so much.

nomadthethird

hey what happened to the feldman ringtone!

but speaking of easily amused, the "everything is a joke" and "life is all just a laugh" attitude really bothers me. people that are not capable of being serious for just one second, and talk about something that they CARE about (because, presumably, there is nothing that they care about). people with zero depth who make a stupid joke out of EVERYTHING.

which may or may not be more of American thing, or just a entertainment culture thing,

Yeah that's what I find is true about many American men, tbh... they can't take anything seriously, all they do is quote fucking Cartman or Will Ferrell or whatever. I avoid those people like they're the plague.

swears

preppy-kei

No, I think this is a good attitude if the humour is actually insightful and funny. If life is inherently meaningless and ideas like purpose, free-will and objective morality are illusions, then you might as well have a good ol' larf. I think it's quite noble and honourable when someone is a sharp wit, it's a service to humanity. Concepts like "depth" and "caring" are overrated.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Quite right. It's wrong to assume that to be a deep thinker you have to be po-faced, or that humour is inherently flippant or frivolous. In fact I think the gut-wrenching, tear-jerking, laugh-until-you-hurt reaction to something truly hilarious is one of the most sublime emotions you can experience.

And even a little chuckle about something modestly amusing helps us all get through the day.

smoking.png

Last edited:

nomadthethird

No, I think this is a good attitude if the humour is actually insightful and funny. If life is inherently meaningless and ideas like purpose, free-will and objective morality are illusions, then you might as well have a good ol' larf. I think it's quite noble and honourable when someone is a sharp wit, it's a service to humanity. Concepts like "depth" and "caring" are overrated.

Well, I can't pretend I'm always serious in what I say and that I'm not having a laugh with myself sometimes either...

luka

I think it's quite noble and honourable when someone is a sharp wit, it's a service to humanity.

thats certainly true. you have a responisbility to entertain. but it does get very wearing when people only ever try and be funny. in fact, it begins to attain a tragic dimension.

swears

preppy-kei
Well, yeah. It's self defeating, being funny all the time isn't funny by definition, it's annoying. I was just trying to wind up zhao. ;)

I don't really think caring is overrated, "depth" is a vague one, tho.

I have to admit I am suspicious of people who moan about irony, apathy and ennui all the time, as if everything would be fine if everybody else was as committed and passionate as they are. A lot of the world's ills are the fault of people who care way too much: about nationality, race, religion, what other people do with their own genitals, etc...

zhao

there are no accidents
no one is saying a sense of humor is bad.

it is the "unable to take anything seriously" privileged brat attitude that pisses me off. it comes from people systematically insulated from the real

NO. there are many things in life, and many things happening in the world, that one should treat with respect and consideration.

(sickboy's example is not exactly what i'm talking about)

Concepts like "depth" and "caring" are overrated.

i expect that from someone who hates himself and by extension everything else.

but not everyone is like you. some people care deeply. some people have a purpose in life. some people behave purposefully, consciously, with passion, respect and consideration.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
I have to admit I am suspicious of people who moan about irony, apathy and ennui all the time, as if everything would be fine if everybody else was as committed and passionate as they are.

well yes, the world CERTAINLY would be better place if people cared more about the 200+ species of frogs disappearing from the rain forests each year, what is happening in the Congo, etc, etc, etc, etc.

the moral relativism at the heart of your stance is one propagated by consumerism: it's all meaningless so just forget everything and have a laugh/cheeseburger (as long as the horrible things are not happening to your own privileged self)

A lot of the world's ills are the fault of people who care way too much: about nationality, race, religion, what other people do with their own genitals, etc...

becoming enslaved by ideology and "caring" are not exactly the same thing, and you should not confuse the 2.

Last edited: