Rolling (though slowly, I'd imagine) Gaming Thread

mixed_biscuits

zhao

there are no accidents
sorry for n00b question need buy present for a 10 year old girl today or tomorrow, so a fast response will be appreciated:

XBOX or PS3 ?????

matt b

Indexing all opinion
sorry for n00b question need buy present for a 10 year old girl today or tomorrow, so a fast response will be appreciated:

XBOX or PS3 ?????

For a 10 year old, as much as it pains me to say so, an Xbox, unless she goes around expressing an interest in media-hub technology and the like.

alternatively, get a Wii

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
OK, apologies in advance for starting up this tired old debate, but why are PS3's better than Xbox's? I played a PS3 a couple years ago and compared to the Xbox that I own, it was shit.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
OK, apologies in advance for starting up this tired old debate, but why are PS3's better than Xbox's? I played a PS3 a couple years ago and compared to the Xbox that I own, it was shit.

It's better from a hardware point of view (both in spec and reliability), but that doesn't count for much. The Xbox has better games & online infrastructure, and despite being less powerful than the PS3, games often look better on the 360 as developers know it has a larger user base and spend more time optimising games for it.

matt b

Indexing all opinion

One's not better than the other.

Gaming is only one aspect of PS3- I got mine mainly as a media hub (internet TV etc).

cobretti

One's not better than the other.

Gaming is only one aspect of PS3- I got mine mainly as a media hub (internet TV etc).

omg nonono ps3 is teh suckzors etc etc

I'd say the PS3 is better for media purposes than the 360, the xbox has a fit playing most filetypes, and doesn't have a bluray drive either. PS3 has built in wireless too.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
omg nonono ps3 is teh suckzors etc etc

I'd say the PS3 is better for media purposes than the 360, the xbox has a fit playing most filetypes, and doesn't have a bluray drive either. PS3 has built in wireless too.

The only other gamer I know IRL had a PS3, so I just copied him.

hint

party record with a siren
The only other gamer I know IRL had a PS3, so I just copied him.

This is the best tactic - buy what your friends have so that you can join forces against the hordes of 14 year old Americans.

cobretti

Jesus Christ. I've read about this, but I'm yet to watch it for spoiler reasons. Not sure how I feel about the biggest release of the year kicking off with this, viewed out of context the Daily Mail etc are going to have a field day.

CoD Modern Warfare 2 intro spoiler

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Jesus Christ. I've read about this, but I'm yet to watch it for spoiler reasons. Not sure how I feel about the biggest release of the year kicking off with this, viewed out of context the Daily Mail etc are going to have a field day.

CoD Modern Warfare 2 intro spoiler

I watched about a minute of it the other day. I'm interested to hear how Infinity Ward justify it (beyond their pathetic 'it shows how evil they [the MW2 enemies] are' excuse).

It suggests to me how little game writers have grappled with the thorny issue of interactive violence in any meaningful way

hint

party record with a siren
I watched about a minute of it the other day. I'm interested to hear how Infinity Ward justify it (beyond their pathetic 'it shows how evil they [the MW2 enemies] are' excuse).

It suggests to me how little game writers have grappled with the thorny issue of interactive violence in any meaningful way

I only watched the first part too and it looks like they allow you to participate in this sequence, which suggests that they're trying do something interesting. Pointing out that if players were asked to do this as "the good guys" they wouldn't think twice, perhaps?

Not sure how significant that might be in these post-GTA times, though.

Aren't there also going to be warning screens which encourage you to skip certain sections if you're easily disturbed? Hard to tell how much of this is just to enhance the hype until we get the chance to play it ourselves.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I only watched the first part too and it looks like they allow you to participate in this sequence, which suggests that they're trying do something interesting. Pointing out that if players were asked to do this as "the good guys" they wouldn't think twice, perhaps?

Yeah, had this moment of wondering whether the guy would participate, and the moral dilemmas that might invoke in a player, but

1) I reckon most people will just go in all guns blazing (it's only polygons, innit and plenty of COD4 players are well gungho).

2) games are generally shite when dealing with moral dilemmas (for example, Uncharted 2 attempts this at a couple of points, and it's fucking laughable).

There will be a media shitstorm, without a doubt.

don_quixote

Trent End
he was pretty fucking awesome on cm97/98 though. kannedy bakircioglu never did reach his potential though.

somehow everton sold him for £4m as well!!

Pestario

tell your friends
I know it's no modern warfare but I'm addicted to rhythm paradise on ds haha. I can easily burn 2 hours in one sitting which is worrying when each mini-game is only about a minute long

as you were...