hucks

Your Message Here
Deserving of its own thread, surely.

So, five questions.

1) What will the score be?

3-1 Aus. Sadly.

2) How many tests will Flintoff manage?

I reckon 2 - the first two.

3) Will there be anything as funny as Gary Pratt running out Ponting?

No. Nothing that funny has ever happened before or since.

4) Do you have Sky Sports?

5) Can I come round and watch?

Ta

don_quixote

Trent End
1) 2-2. draw at cardiff. england win at edgbaston and headingley. aus do both the tests in london.
2) all five
3) i doubt it
4) no :(
5) n/a

fuck off not being on normal telly. another summer down the pub all day...

crackerjack

1/ 1-1, with the weather taking 1 and the other 2 decided by the lack of quality in both bowling attacks

2/ 3 - the first 2, and the 5th in a wheelchair when he's brought back in a desperate win-at-all-costs strategy and is still england's most potent bowler

3/ gary pratt turning up in the crowd at the trent bridge test and waving at ponting, who immediately gets himself out

4/ yes

5/ course, mate, bring beer, drugs and sausages

S

simon silverdollar

Just read that Brett Lee can't make the first two tests... so i reckon england could win at cardiff.

crackerjack

Just read that Brett Lee can't make the first two tests... so i reckon england could win at cardiff.

i've just backed em to a big fat tenner, hell yeah

it's also gonna be cloudy there (it's wales, right), which means it should be a good venue for anderson - still think the games where he gets it right are the only ones England have a serious chance of winning

how much difference does lee make these days?

S

simon silverdollar

how much difference does lee make these days?

i think he makes a pretty big difference- he looked by far their best bowler in the game against the england lions, and his reverse swing was deadly. Stuart Clark looks like he's lost it - bowling around 78mph. Mitchell Johnson is quick, but doesn't seem to swing the ball all that often.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
England to win 2-1...Anderson and Swann to star with ball...Strauss, Bopara and Swann with bat... Katich for the Aussies...

don't have Sky Sports :( internet stream + TMS, hopefully...

don_quixote

Trent End
ok, anyone know of any decent pubs in north london, 30 mins walk max from st pancras, that will be showing every ball of the cricket on thursday?

S

simon silverdollar

ok, anyone know of any decent pubs in north london, 30 mins walk max from st pancras, that will be showing every ball of the cricket on thursday?

the Doric Arch (previously the Head of Steam) pub is just outside euston station and surprisingly very nice (looks like a bit of a dive outside). they always show the cricket.

so does the One Tun on Goodge st, but may be that's too far.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I know next to zilch about cricket, but is it feasible that England & Wales will lose 5-0 as Glenn McGrath predicts?

I'm not interested in the cricket so much as beating the Australians. Tiddlywinks, cricket, thermonuclear war - makes no odds the game, s'long as we beat the b8stards. *

* Apologies to all Australians reading - I do like a lot of things about your country, but if you can't be offensively jingoistic about sport, then what is the purpose of sport?

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
it's not much of a ground is it? is this where sobers hit six sixes (and that one's gone all the way to swansea")?

The six sixes was at St Helen's in Swansea, presumably the same one where Swansea used to play glorious rugby before the f8cking regional team thing cam ein.

hucks

Your Message Here
I know next to zilch about cricket, but is it feasible that England & Wales will lose 5-0 as Glenn McGrath predicts?

Sure it's possible but it's unlikely. I would say it was very unlikely, were it not for the fact that 5-0 was exactly the score last time round.

Re: beating the Aussies. What was awful was that for so long they were just better than us at everything, even football (3-1 at Upton Park on Rooney's debut). My own take is that since the Rugby World Cup, then the last home Ashes, plus the Beijing olympics, it's more of a proper rivalry now. That takes some of the irrational hatred out of it (for me).

Plus Hayden has retired. And McGrath. But Ponting is still there, duking it out with C Ronaldo for the title of Man You Most Like To See Lose.

crackerjack

and the big symbolic opening ball is......absolutely nothing. outside off, left by strauss, repeat second ball.

Johnson's not as fast as I assumed

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Re: beating the Aussies. What was awful was that for so long they were just better than us at everything, even football (3-1 at Upton Park on Rooney's debut). My own take is that since the Rugby World Cup, then the last home Ashes, plus the Beijing olympics, it's more of a proper rivalry now. That takes some of the irrational hatred out of it (for me).

Plus Hayden has retired. And McGrath. But Ponting is still there, duking it out with C Ronaldo for the title of Man You Most Like To See Lose.

I think my jingoism has been reawakened by watching the Lions-South Africa series. Watching with my father, I went from trying to calm him down midway through the first half - "Dad, they're not bastards and they're not cheating. That was a fair call, actually." to screaming at the TV screen "That fucking Springbok bastard deserves a good kicking, the cheating cunt!" by about midway through the second half.