avant-classical massif!

sadmanbarty

why is it a funny place?

on dissensus on one of the 'best of the year' threads there was a year when john eden's whole list was oto gigs he'd been to. so that's one reason.

another thing is that us british are very squeamish about being- and embarrassed to be- middle class, so there's a self-awareness to going somewhere life cafe oto.

its got a funny name, it sounds like the old motorolla jingle.

its got funny music that sounds like pots banging.

its a hipster hub.

its a sign of gentrification in dalston so there's more self-awareness there.

luka

Because it's the London home of a curiously conservative and creatively moribund avant garde

sadmanbarty

i suppose its a symbol of a pacified counter culture. a culture that used to demand so much, now they're happy to go there every two months, drink craft beer and watch aged men make silly music.

luka

Ben Watson has got a good thing about what the wire and oto have done to codify and commodity a certain notion of the avant garde which then never evolves but just keeps performing it's same safe set of gestures

sadmanbarty

its a dad's hangout. its a man cave. and the people in attendance are smart enough and self-aware enough to be uncomfortable with that

luka

My favourite shows I've seen there was art ensemble of Chicago when I was on acid Peter brotzmann when I was on acid and Shabaka Hutchings when I was on acid with groupname for grapejuice

I'm been to some duds too

luka

None of that lot make remotely silly music. I tend to just go to the Jazz stuff as a rule. I like live music.

sadmanbarty

when i was 12 or 13 i'd go there a lot and they'd stamp my hand on entry.

when i'd go to school the next day i'd tell all the other kids that i'd been to a club. try and pass it off as something infinitely cooler than it was.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
when i was 12 or 13 i'd go there a lot and they'd stamp my hand on entry.

when i'd go to school the next day i'd tell all the other kids that i'd been to a club. try and pass it off as something infinitely cooler than it was.

that's the period of your life that beagle is always referring to? before you got into drill and all that?

sadmanbarty

that's the period of your life that beagle is always referring to? before you got into drill and all that?

beagle (who is 100% luke) is reffering to when i first joined dissensus and i'd always post these internet rappers and get all enthused about whatever subgenre fact magazine had decided to champion that week.

one of the rappers was this guy black kray who a couple of years later crowley put in a list of hot new rap, so i felt somewhat redeemed.

luka

Barty is as convinced I'm Beagle as everyone was convinced I was Barty a few years back. Conspiracy theorists.