luka

Have a listen to this one with Taze and the top Brooklyn guy. Taze is obviously much better but also just want to communicate what it is about Taze I like

luka

All the Brooklyn drill lot are West Indian I think. More so than the Lobdon lot. Seen some comments saying Taze is Sheff Gs cousin. Anyway

luka

Relevant in that according to barti the big difference between Chicago drill and uk drill, apart from tempo, is the tresillo Rythm, the dancehall pulse. He said David drake was too dumb to notice this fundamental difference but it would help explain why the Brooklyn lot use the uk template and producers

CrowleyHead

Yeah, you know the Brooklyn Drill rappers are all West Indian b/c they never act like it. Every Brooklyn Rapper who's ever affected a patois has no trace of that ancestry, it's a fundamental law. It's why you never heard Biggie speak in that accent beside one verse.

Also gonna take umbrage w/ this "Taze > Sheff G" talk both these men are doing the fundamental idealized versions of each areas flows for drill.

<iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hQV2OA62qUA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one a beat jack from a Moscow 17 record, can't remember which but it takes the Migos Triplet while allowing for a lot more swing than the London tautness.

luka

Its a scientific fact that zoo goes up four or five levels when Taze comes on for the simple fact that the energy transmission is much more direct, a lot less 'lossy'

I don't think Taze has the platonic uk drill flow either. I think it's it's own thing. I think of Bartys favourite Mizormac as being more archetypal. Or the Moscow lot. Flatter and more linear.

CrowleyHead

It's been a while since I've listened to Moscow so their unique qualities are lost on me these days. Their deaths and I think Loosescrew tried doing the afroswing thing at the end of last year. A lot of demoralization happened tail end of last year so when the new tunes popped up I missed a lot of it.

Anyway I hear more Loski in Taze than MizOrMac. Rather early Loski before the flows became formulaic. Trilliam had a theory that aside from MizOrMac one guy was writing for most of the Harlem camp and I've wondered about that given the loss of life in Loski's rapping.

sadmanbarty

listen to the snares on this. that is the underlying emphasis of most drill rapping.

taze and russ really hammer this home. they stick most rigidly to it. that's why they're so (excuse the pun) funky.

but you can hear it in subtler forms in most drill rapping.

the brooklyn drill stuff can't do this because it's in triplets. those lil silva/taze emphasis are based on dividing each beat by 4 whereas triplets divide each beat by three.

mizormac is the tholonious monk of drill. he's taking that taze/russ thing but warping it, dropping it in all weird parts a bar and all that. if taze is dancehall drums, miz is jungle drums.

sadmanbarty

the brooklyn drill stuff can't do this because it's in triplets. those lil silva/taze emphasis are based on dividing each beat by 4 whereas triplets divide each beat by three.

african drums do a great thing of doing that lil silva rhythm but then chucking a triplet over one beat of the bar.

the way drill rappers duck and dive between the taze flow and triplets mirrors this.

sadmanbarty

it's like when some tribe or kurdish militia liberates some village from isis and they all do these highly camp dances in celebration.

luka

I love the stamping one. Stamping on some poor cunt when he's down. Wicked dance. And the stabbing one when he's on the ground, that's my favourite

sadmanbarty

I love the stamping one. Stamping on some poor cunt when he's down. Wicked dance. And the stabbing one when he's on the ground, that's my favourite

during our bottle-of-jameson's-every-time-i-pop-round-era you had your psychedelic robe on with your eye motif trousers and you put on an elephant man and did a great stamp to it.

you do it all the time.

luka

That's the log-on dance. Log on
And step pon chi chi man
It's the step pon bit you're acting out