luka

Seems a few years older than the average drill MC which helps I think. Adds a bit of a force, makes it seem real not just some kid chatting shit.

It's the kids who actually live the life. I think it's the big adults who look like they're pretending.

forclosure

Dutchavelli is Stefflon Dons brother

also looking through some of his older stuff hes got a track called "John wayne" that was whatever and hes got a track with Professor Green

i do like the red suit hes got on in the video

luka

https://pitchfork.com/levels/axl-beats-drake-travis-scott/amp/#click=https://t.co/1KT4ZMRXz2

Marked by no-frills rapping and nightmarish production, Chicago drill music traveled around the globe at the speed of the internet throughout the last decade. Eventually, Brooklyn rappers tried on the style—though at first their take was little more than a sad imitation of the sinister sound established by Windy City rappers like King Louie and Chief Keef, and beat makers like DJ L and Young Chop. It took an unlikely producer from the international drill outpost of London to help the New York City borough’s street rap scene craft its own character: AXL Beats.

Arriving on the scene in late 2016, AXL combined the grim core of classic Chicago drill records with the sliding 808s and manipulated vocal samples of UK grime. He started selling his cinematic instrumentals on YouTube, and eventually became the producer of choice for Brooklyn rappers, crafting several of the borough’s signature tracks. Thanks in part to AXL’s beats, Brooklyn drill has become a self-sustaining ecosystem with its own lingo and attitude. And bold-name types are taking notice: Both Drake and Travis Scott released their own AXL-produced tracks in December.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

This kind of beat shows the JA influence in UK drill. The usual I don't know nothin caveats aside I don't think you'd get basslines like this in US rap.

Basslines with a sort of dub feel

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Man all this stuff sounds shit on my Bluetooth speaker and great on my noise cancelling headphones. Need some decent speakers stat

sadmanbarty

b side are always in that warehouse. i don't know why. it's not even close to cool. looks like some north greenwhich industrial estate.

version

This beat is >

This guy is from Coventry and sounds like j hus (Gambian connection) and this tune is an anthem

I'm v impressed with the UK production standards these days some of the beats are crazy

luka, what did you think of this one?

luka

YouTube shoved it down my throat when it first came out and I thought it was rubbish but it sounds alright today