DAW questions thread

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Reaper query, cos I know some of you use it. I'm trying to render a track to .wav, where i have put a mastering vst over the whole track, that brings the master level up to -0.1dB when I use one of the presets on the vst (not trying to do anything exact at present, just see how it sounds).

When it is rendered however, there is loads of digital distortion on the resultant wav file. The only thing I can think of is that for some reason it's somehow not registering the effect of the vst on the master track, but I have no idea why. Any ideas?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Reaper query, cos I know some of you use it. I'm trying to render a track to .wav, where i have put a mastering vst over the whole track, that brings the master level up to -0.1dB when I use one of the presets on the vst (not trying to do anything exact at present, just see how it sounds).

When it is rendered however, there is loads of digital distortion on the resultant wav file. The only thing I can think of is that for some reason it's somehow not registering the effect of the vst on the master track, but I have no idea why. Any ideas?

Is there a normalize button? In Logic when you press 'export' there comes up a series of functions - i.e. export to wav etc and one of those is 'do you want this normailsed' and you want that turned off, otherwise it overloads everything. In Logic anyway, hope it's the same for Reaper.

hint

party record with a siren
Quick question - do ppl here use transient designers to make the drums punch through the mix, or just the 'traditional' compression etc?

I use the release section on Logic's Enveloper to either clip sounds short (when cutting) or get a blown-out drum sound (when boosting). Never got good results from playing with the attack settings.

I was taught an old Hip Hop trick years ago with the hardware Transient Designer where you put the kick and snare through a channel each and cut the tails really short, then compress / distort / whatever and then mix these processed versions back in under the original sounds. Much better way of getting more attack rather than just boosting the attack on a transient designer.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
thanks for the replies guys (he says, a month later)!

that hip hop trick sounds good, a version of parallel compression, sort of, except with chopping the tails too? Put my drums thru parallel compression at the weekend for the first time and they sound WAY punchier.

Still having issues with rendering and bouncing. Thanks for the reply Sloane, not sure it is about normalisation though, cos it seems to do weird things when I render (either ignoring mastering processing, or screwing things up in arpeggiators...argh), whereas bouncing always turns out OK...