Beef Tea

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah but I mean proper beef tea where you have to leave chopped beef in a sealed jar and boil it and extract the juice. Sounds good to me.

muser

that does sound interesting never heard of such a thing.. I enjoy beef so imagine itd be hard not to enjoy this. I do generally have bovril on toast though

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I dont want to live in a world where people think beef tea is nice. We fought the Germans so we wouldn't have to drink beef tea anymore. I was brought up by a parent who remembered rationing, and Bovril wasn't allowed in our house, nor was cooking up sheeps heads for soup.

Aside from that, it just sounds gross but I'm not too big on soup either.

grizzleb

I dont want to live in a world where people think beef tea is nice. We fought the Germans so we wouldn't have to drink beef tea anymore. I was brought up by a parent who remembered rationing, and Bovril wasn't allowed in our house, nor was cooking up sheeps heads for soup.

Aside from that, it just sounds gross but I'm not too big on soup either.
Yeah, I never want to try beef-tea or any other meaty drink, but OTOH soups are amazing.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Thirties mountaineers used to drink something called Mummery's Blood (named after their Victorian hero) - "'equal parts navy rum and Bovril, served boiling hot. Its effect on both mind and body is nourishing, warming, strengthening; it lowers angles, shortens distances, and improves weather'". Apparently Murray and Donaldson shared a pint of it to fortify themselves for the final couple of peaks of the Greater Cuillin Traverse...

viktorvaughn

Thirties mountaineers used to drink something called Mummery's Blood (named after their Victorian hero) - "'equal parts navy rum and Bovril, served boiling hot. Its effect on both mind and body is nourishing, warming, strengthening; it lowers angles, shortens distances, and improves weather'". Apparently Murray and Donaldson shared a pint of it to fortify themselves for the final couple of peaks of the Greater Cuillin Traverse...

that sounds amazing, i love weird old school things like this..

slowtrain

Navy rum is a misleading term, it is actually much weaker than straight 'normal' rum being that it is mostly just water

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Navy rum is a misleading term, it is actually much weaker than straight 'normal' rum being that it is mostly just water

That's grog, isn't it? Watered-down rum, I mean. AFAIK 'navy rum' is just a label some rum mfrs like to put on their bottles because it makes it more traditional and old-timey, though I guess some of the older rum brands probably did officially supply the Royal Navy or whatever back in the day.

Some gin distillers do a 'navy-strength' version that's stronger than their regular gin.