sus

She's like Botticelli's Venus except instead of standing facing you to be looked at as object, she is a subject looking out at the sea like Friedrich's Wanderer above a sea of fog—looking out at eternity and the renewing force which lives inside her womb

sus

Barangrill is really funny she's a rich and famous cityslicker driving around the countryside in her Rolls Royce and she stops at a barandgrill and she's like, Wow. Everyone's so real here, everyone's so enlightened, humble makes pure. But there's that undercutting of the fantasy: "You *think* she's enlightened... It's just a trick on you / Her mirrors and your will"

Also love "You want to get moving & you want to stay still"

I think the gatefold nude is actually very important. Because this is her "strip it down, get back to nature" album, and nudity is so strongly associated with authenticity in the 60s. (@blissblogger says a lot of smart stuff about this w/r/t body hair in his intro to Shock & Awe, as a contrast to glam values/aesthetics.) Just Joni and her dog in a cabin in the mountains type deal. And it's about living out that myth and also deconstructing it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What do you mean by that third?

she's an eclecticist. musical centrism. bit of folk, bit of jazz, bit of trad pop, post-war angst. Her best album is precisely when she's most tied to a folk tradition, but its still read through the prism of artistry. but folk music isn't about artists. True folk music I mean. not as a genre.

As someone who is tied to a certain folk tradition it is kind of awkward to talk about her. Is she a pop artist or the bard of her community? I def think the former, ultimately. Which is why its ironic that she disses free music. Surely you don't want to live under a medieval communitarian society?

sus

she's an eclecticist. musical centrism. bit of folk, bit of jazz, bit of trad pop, post-war angst. Her best album is precisely when she's most tied to a folk tradition, but its still read through the prism of artistry. but folk music isn't about artists. True folk music I mean. not as a genre.

As someone who is tied to a certain folk tradition it is kind of awkward to talk about her. Is she a pop artist or the bard of her community? I def think the former, ultimately. Which is why its ironic that she disses free music. Surely you don't want to live under a medieval communitarian society?
That makes sense / I can see where you're coming from but also. Why does she have to be either a pop artist or a folk bard?

sus

I guess you didn't say it was a problem for her you said it was a problem for her fandom when they try to talk about her. That's true.