sadmanbarty

Mumble rap's penchant for fourth world and even British folk revival-esque instrumentals. Its lyrical content pertaining to animals and nature.

Pastoral futurism: mumble rap's combination of the pastoral with futuristic auto-tune and rhythms. Alkaline's transhumanist obeahman persona. The films avatar and annihilation.

Folkloric creatures in the popular imagination: Game of Thrones, online 'trolls', the popularity of unicorns for kids these days, Jordan Peterson talking about dragons and all that, goblin nonce

Midsommar

Amazon, Apple, twitter's bird logo

Luke talks about the pastoral language of capital; branches, revenue streams, etc.

Online streaming, 'the cloud'

Pattycakes

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=14846

I've talked about all of this as counteracting our current notion of the future being one of environmental calamity.

Luke suggests it ties into the nationalist resurgence and celebrating cultures (often mythologised) history.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
patty's tune.

personally i would commit a massacre if this ever came on in the woods, but that's me.

luka

Tying my interesting ethnic folkways thread together with flute motifs in Migos' tunes might be a bit of a stretch? It was largely to do with white (though not exclusively white) identitarianism and how that is reliant on mythologised histories of clan-fathers and warlords and pure ethnic origins. The Aryan homeland and so on. It is history informed by role playing games and fantasy fiction. It emerges largely as a consequence of whiteness itself supposedly being under threat (The Great Replacement. ) and as a response to the 'rootless cosmopolitanism' we all exhibit, even, I suspect, those who work on the land. The perceived inauthenticity of our lives. Blood and soil.

luka

Tying my interesting ethnic folkways thread together with flute motifs in Migos' tunes might be a bit of a stretch? It was largely to do with white (though not exclusively white) identitarianism and how that is reliant on mythologised histories of clan-fathers and warlords and pure ethnic origins. The Aryan homeland and so on. It is history informed by role playing games and fantasy fiction. It emerges largely as a consequence of whiteness itself supposedly being under threat (The Great Replacement. ) and as a response to the 'rootless cosmopolitanism' we all exhibit, even, I suspect, those who work on the land. The perceived inauthenticity of our lives. Blood and soil.

Because there is no living tradition in many of these places the musicians are forced to recreate it and it becomes, in their hands, this swollen steroidal version of itself, more informed by computer games and Hollywood than by history. This is the problem that white identitariansim faces. Although it's not possible to say whiteness is contentless, it's traditions were decimated by the industrial revolution, urbanisation, capitalism, the entertainment industry and so on. So it is left in the position of having to invent its traditions, in the way that modern paganism is invented from the ground up.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
children singing pathological unrequited love song kitsch that they hadn't experienced was a big thing in turkey in the 90s.

if anything this signifies the death of soul, whilst conversely being the most soulful (in terms of signifiers) music. it's also why it's cringe.

blissblogger

it's another phase or wave in the Religious / Magical Revival that started back in the 19th Century, in response to industrialism

there was a resurgent wave of it in the late Sixties, early 70s - the Aquarian Frontier as Theodore Roczak

then in the 90s there was all that angelology - books about angels

it never really stops, but it seems to intensify - perhaps with each wave of alienation caused by a new technological regime installing itself, bringing disruptions etc

modern ways of life = disenchantment of the world etc etc , something's missing, hole in the soul, science can't explain everything etc etc

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
he must have been 11 when he recorded this. around 99.

I'll try do a rough translation

I passed the front of the housing blocks last night
I wanted to see you for the last time
before you upped and left here
I wanted to hear your voice for the last time.

the doors were closed the curtains were folded
the rooms were dark the lights were off
I left, hopeless and humiliated, with my head bowed
I wanted to die, bitter at and disavowing my fait.

those wedding memories came alive in my eyes
I wanted to return to those hours
When I didn't see you for the last time
I wanted to terminate my life right there

vomit. this is the logical endpoint of soul. 11 year old boys singing the most disgusting feudal nostalgic shit. totally unrealistic today.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
in the 70s the pathological love song was the proletarian drinking soundtrack the differing ethnicities congregating in the meyhanes and pubs of istanbul forgetting their differences (or glassing each other) for a night. there was an innocence there which made sure it was not full scale kitsch even if it seemed sentimental to serious music connoisseurs. less a return to the rhythms of nature but bitter class resentment.

however in the 90s this genre was adopted by conservatives who were now repenting for their past degradation and taking advantage of the expanding middle class engendered by state privatisation. that's when it becomes the most conservative genre (next to western classical) in turkish music.

Both types of love song use the melismatic religious style of singing which developed in those regions from the 10th century onwards. however the difference is the 90s versions have to become (hyper)melismatic to show how performative they are. a nature which never existed.

70s love song:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What exasperates me about westerners approach to this is they can't recognise when a melody or vocal performance in the phrygian mode is disgustingly cloyingly beautiful or has some restraint and lets a deeper cosmic beauty shine. they just want the kudos of being spiritual without putting in the work. they are actually on the same page as islamists here.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Because there is no living tradition in many of these places the musicians are forced to recreate it and it becomes, in their hands, this swollen steroidal version of itself, more informed by computer games and Hollywood than by history. This is the problem that white identitariansim faces. Although it's not possible to say whiteness is contentless, it's traditions were decimated by the industrial revolution, urbanisation, capitalism, the entertainment industry and so on. So it is left in the position of having to invent its traditions, in the way that modern paganism is invented from the ground up.

i think this will increasingly end up as a global development not just a white one.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
here i can understand some accelerationist ideas. not as an idea or a political constitution to be enacted, like the left accelerationists and land types, but a dynamic of capital having to constantly multiply itself into infinity. which is why i found the whole left accelerationism craze a few years ott. like, uh, accelerationism is alreadyhappening? what more do you actually want?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
we were joking about it and all but i wouldn't be surprised if taliban techno becomes a legit thing in the next 10 years. obviously by techno i don't mean techno the genre here.

luka

i think this will increasingly end up as a global development not just a white one.

I was talking to you a little about pan-Turanianism (itself an obsolete term rescued from 19th century race science) and Tengrism. It's all of a piece.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah, tengrism doesn't exist in the cultures of any of the turkic speaking peoples today. or at least not in any statistical number we can qualify. islam and small pockets of christianity and buddhism.