I'm so bored of art vs non-art

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I just want to hear the music of the universe, the cosmos. how is this possible? and yet still engage in fraternal bonding.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
humans are just boring. i don't hate them, i don't dislike them, i'm not repulsed by them, I don't fear them, i don't seek to transcend them, so in that sense I don't really have anything in common with elitists. they're just the same old same old. nothing bloody changes. the stars and galaxies change more than these lumps of boring flesh and water.

mvuent

Void Dweller
humans are just boring. i don't hate them, i don't dislike them, i'm not repulsed by them, I don't fear them, i don't seek to transcend them, so in that sense I don't really have anything in common with elitists. they're just the same old same old. nothing bloody changes. the stars and galaxies change more than these lumps of boring flesh and water.

it seems like it's impossible to convince people that one or the other is better. it's just so obvious to them which is the Aim of art that they never acknowledge the split. that's sort of what I was trying to get at with this thread http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=14889 but I framed it in kind of a boring way.

luka

I guess the answer is for you to either stop believing in art or stop believing in non art, or stop believing in both simultaneously. Pretty easy and always nice when the solution to a problem lies on your own hands.

luka

Let me quote something Pattycakes said on here a few weeks back

"Ernst Schoen once praised the the unsurpassable noblesse of fireworks as the only art that aspires not to duration but only to glow for an instant and fade away. It is ultimately in terms of this idea that the temporal arts of drama and music are to be interpreted, the counterpart of a deification without which they would not exist and yet that degrades them. In the face of the means of mechanical reproduction, these considerations seem obsolete, yet the discontent with these means may nevertheless also be a discontent with the emerging omnipotence of the permanence of art that runs parallel with the collapse of duration. If art were to free itself from the once perceived illusion of duration, were to internalise its own transience in sympathy with the ephemeral life, it would approximate an idea of truth conceived not as something abstractly enduring but in consciousness of its temporal essence. If all art is the secularisation of transcendence, it participates in the dialectic of enlightenment. Art has confronted this dialectic with the aesthetic conception of anti-art; indeed, without this element art is no longer thinkable. This implies nothing less than that art must go beyond its own concept in order to remain faithful to that concept. The idea of its abolition does homage by honouring its claim to truth.

Nevertheless, the survival of undermined art is not only an expression of cultural lag, that ever sluggish revolution of the superstructure. The source of arts power of resistance is that a realised materialism would at the same time be the abolition of materialism, the abolition of the domination of material interests.min its powerlessness, art anticipates a spirit that would only then step forth."