Francis Bacon: A Brush with Violence (2017)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Screenshotting an essay I read last night about Bacon. (From About Modern Art: Critical Essays 1948-2000 by David Sylvester.)

Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 14.13.24.png
Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 14.13.27.png
Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 14.13.30.png
Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 14.13.37.png
Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 14.13.41.png
Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 14.13.43.png

sus

Absolutely garbage doc I was dreading clicking this thread in case you liked it Version I wasn't sure our friendship could take it

sus

I read a book about him once... wasn't that good. It was written by this guy who had discovered that his uncle (or something), mainly a painter and decorator but a part-time rent boy (I think), was a peripheral figure on that Soho fifties scene and wrote a kind of biography of his life over that time. Basically (reading between the lines) I think it was a few anecdotes stretched out to make a book and it tried to make the uncle a more central character than he was. I did like the story at the start about the main character meeting Bacon for the first time though and him (Bacon) being introduced as a painter, and the uncle, having no idea who he was, said "Oh really, me too".
Good Woody Allen bit. "oh I just love Bacon." "You do? I thought the Jews had a thing about pork"

version

Iain Sinclair's new one's about Bacon and Soho:

In Pariah Genius, literary giant Iain Sinclair follows in the footsteps of photographer John Deakin, whose chronicles of Soho life - and the world of Francis Bacon and his friends - have so influenced our perception of that generation's work.

In this bold fictionalisation, Sinclair enters the underworld of Deakin's life and imagination, pursuing his subject across continents, in dive bars, and bedrooms. The result is an engrossing, utterly unique portrait of a man who some felt was a fallen angel, and others, the devil himself.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Weird bit of synchronicity - I've seen tons of people on Facebook comparing the new royal portrait to Bacon's famous screaming pope.