Benny B's Nursing Home Gramaphone Listening Club

luka

Benny B has devoted his life to exploring the world of pre 1960 recorded music. no one knows more about the ancient history of recorded sound and he has agreed to share his arcane knowledge with us.

Benny Bunter

People talk about hearing elvis at the time like it was music beamed in from another planet. It's hard for us to understand that nowadays listening to hound dog or even something like mystery train, but I think this could take you there.

Uultra-minimal, Elvis' acoustic is a barely audible bassy thrum, scottie moore's clip-clop plucked guitar marks the rhythm, while Elvis spectral voice soars and swoops, both right in your ear yet far out into the cosmos at the same time. Magical

Benny Bunter

It's that slapback echo thats on eveything that really sends shivers through my spine on that, and a lot of the early Sun records stuff. And the wordless falsetto parts just transport me to another dimension.

Like you said on the other thread, what appeals to me in this musics are the ululations, wails, grunts and screams.

Benny Bunter

Looking at the sleevenotes to the howlin wolf cd i've got

'Its sound is a molten blur...chaotic yet right on time. The effect is an auditory fever dream, heightened by Wolf's paranoid lyrics:
Well, somebody knockin' on my door...'

Benny Bunter

Seriously though, anyone who doesn't immediately get all-over body goosebumps listening to that is dead inside afaic.