Moving Shadow - the full-length single-artist albums

blissblogger

If one was to listen to the whole chronological selection thing, it would be an arc of rise, peak, decline (and other D-words like disintegration directionlessness decay)

But it's possible that twilight-era gems would emerge and also overlooked tracks on B-sides or what-have-you from within the peak might get their moment. Divorced from the larger genre's arc of decline - the overall depressing state of drum and bass - some of the latterday Moving Shadow output might be freed up and acquire stand-alone listenability.

I am thinking I am going to take the plunge later this week.

Still chances are quite good I'll lose interest at exactly the point I did during the original historical sequence.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This came out in 1992 but I feel like I should be playing PS1 (or maybe Quake era PC) listening to it

blissblogger

Did this project stall?

I did get all the way to about 1997 and more or less the same thing happened in the relisten as during the real-time following the label - I just couldn't continue with it once the sound got to be bongos and that kind of thing.

I mean there was a few nice things - and I had a bit more enjoyment / appreciation of Flytronix or the latterday E-Z Rollers stuff.

But I couldn't make it to the 21st Century output.

The last tune that I think is flat-out amazing is part of that superslick moment - it's by a member of Aquasky. But it's has this kind of colossal sound, it does sound aqueous - but also a bit like 10cc goes drum & bass!

Whereas the flipside is the kind of keybs-ripply snooze that turned me off the label.

blissblogger

Moving Shadow, to be fair, did also put out some harder stuff in the late '90s - the Dom & Roland, which I was quite taken with then but hasn't really endured with me.

Moving Shadow also did a very gnarly techsteppy track that I think was commemorating the 100th Release - Rob Playford and Goldie, "Distorted Dreams" I think it was called. Actually rather unpleasant to listen to.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Moving Shadow, to be fair, did also put out some harder stuff in the late '90s - the Dom & Roland, which I was quite taken with then but hasn't really endured with me.

They did a very gnarly techsteppy track that I think was commemorating the 100th Release - Rob Playford and Goldie, "Distorted Dreams" I think it was called. Actually rather unpleasant to listen to.

no not distorted dreams, it's dom and current affairs (dj manita) drones. one of the best techstep tunes to everhave been made. Smokes that calix record mentioned upthread which is aggro for the brighton mandem (fun for 10-20 mins, but a whole album is a bslog, not paranoid enough.)

The title on the Youtube clip is wrong, you can look it up on cogs.

Unless you mean the flip, rob and goldie - the shadow (process remix)

or you mean shadow 100-x, dom and rob, distorted dreams.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
distorted dreams is alright but it always felt a bit too 80s in the mixdown, almost not claustro enough.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
most unpleasant techstep tune to listen to is this I think, neptunian frozen drones, proper angular step on face riddim. german bizniz!

love it, goes even harder than Swans and most gabba.

mixed_biscuits