Hyperpolitics

version

I dunno about the framing of the 90s as "post-politics". I know there's this sense that nothing happened and people weren't as politically engaged, but clearly things were happening and politics never went away. That being said, I suppose you have to try to come up with a language to discuss things and this idea of "hyperpolitics" appearing after that is a bit more convincing.

All the critiques of post-politics recognized the separation between “politics” and “policy.” On the one hand, politics named the formation of a collective will that determines what society would do with its surplus materials. Policy, in turn, relied on the execution of that will. In the 1980s and 1990s, when the politics of crisis steadily turned into a crisis of politics, these two moments underwent a mutual estrangement. The determination of the collective will was relegated to a mediasphere addicted to novelty and run by public-relations experts, while the execution of policy was handed over to unelected technocrats. In the widening of this separation lay the seeds of a transition from post-politics to hyperpolitics....

Rather than concrete results or new social relations, this political tendency seems to mark its influence by its ability to reproduce its frenetic form of activity, something it has had special success doing at nonprofits, in the media and in an increasingly digital public sphere—not to mention in the minds of those who consume these cultural products. Hyperpolitics comes and goes, like a neutron bomb that shakes the people in the frame but leaves all the infrastructure intact—an awkward synonym rather than an antonym to post-politics.

(@chava If you're still reading the Houellebecq then don't read this unless you're not fussed about spoilers.)