Roots of Grime

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Listening to some So Solid Crew from 2001 and was thinking about the music that fed into grime — dark garage, garage in general, crunk, US rap, dancehall...

Wiki​

The first grime track is often debated. Some will credit Pay As U Go's "Know We" or So Solid Crew's "Dilemma" (both were released in 2000), however, "Eskimo" by Wiley (produced in Christmas 1999,[23][24] but released in 2002) and "Pulse X" by Youngstar (released in 2002), a member of Musical Mobb, are also often considered to be contenders.[25][26][27][28] Dizzee Rascal personally claimed his song "Crime", released in 2000, was the first grime song.[29] DJ Slimzee and DJ Karnage have also suggested "Year 2000" (released 2000) by Wiley as a contender.[30] Other tracks that were among the first to be labelled as "grime" include "Ice Rink" and "Igloo" by Wiley, "Creeper" by Danny Weed, and "Dollar Sign" by Sticky featuring Stush.[16][31][32]

Never heard this Dizzee tune before, v sick indeed

shakahislop

i had a really intense passionate hammered argument with a girlfriend in williamsburg in lucky dog on new years eve 2017 about whether the grime guys were influenced by US hiphop, i can't even remember what side i was on now, and she was a d&b girl, she didn't care about grime whatsoever or know the first thing about it, but it got very bitter, she stormed back to my flat and threw all my clothes out the dresser and all over the floor and we fell asleep before midnight

phil.

Some Jamaican roots & contemporary American influences:

Anthony Red Rose - Tempo prod. Peego & Fatman w/ King Tubby Allstars (1985)
Creeper's grandfather

Jah Shacka - One Dub (1992)
proto-eski

Steely & Clevie - Street Sweeper (1999)

Ludacris - Phat Rabbit prod. Timbaland (2000)
Personally prefer this one to Wiley's "Rollout" remix

Keak da Sneak - Freakalistic prod. E-A-Ski (2003)

I've got a folder of "Yankee Grime," grime freestyles over American beats, "Still Tippin" got a ton of play, same with "Big Pimpin," and "Hustlin." Durrty Goodz freestyled over "Shook Ones." (and ofc there's stuff that's more grime-y like Timbaland's beats for Missy & Luda, "B R Right," etc.) Be interested to hear more of people's thoughts on the flows from the US that work in grime, feel like that's under-discussed compared to "Wow, this does sound like a Timbaland beat."
In this interview (around 2 mins) Dizzee says he likes Jay Z, Busta Rhymes, Ludacris, E-40 & Peedi Crakk. Learning he was an E-40 fan was like, a Usual Suspects moment for me.

phil.

Thanks luca! that's absurd, whether or not someone likes E-40 is borderline like a replicant test for me.

We probably outta get some Dipset in here, but I can't think of any Dispset-sounding grime or grime-y Diplomats tunes rn, all I can think about is that bit in DJ Targets book where Dizzee says he's gonna be a better MC than Jim Jones and they laugh it off.

This post is relevant/interesting too, didn't he used to do the same thing with a coupla broken beat tracks? Wish someone would do like a gridface thing with Slimzee and catalog all his setlists.
Quite a lot of it. Slimzee used to play firefox Buck Rogers at 33 etc.

Sub Focus - Juno is basically 8 bar, just at 170 and with the fastplod dnb beat.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
same guy who used to bang on about how guys making choppage tunes from Finland couldn't be tr00 junglists now reps UK funky type music from Kiwiland ffs.

Ugh, let dance music history discourse die cos it never escapes bizarre patriotism, even in its nuum guise.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
grime was at the tail end of non-internet life so even that with all its localisms had to internationalise.

version

Some Jamaican roots & contemporary American influences:

Anthony Red Rose - Tempo prod. Peego & Fatman w/ King Tubby Allstars (1985)
Creeper's grandfather

Jah Shacka - One Dub (1992)
proto-eski

Steely & Clevie - Street Sweeper (1999)

Ludacris - Phat Rabbit prod. Timbaland (2000)
Personally prefer this one to Wiley's "Rollout" remix

Keak da Sneak - Freakalistic prod. E-A-Ski (2003)

I've got a folder of "Yankee Grime," grime freestyles over American beats, "Still Tippin" got a ton of play, same with "Big Pimpin," and "Hustlin." Durrty Goodz freestyled over "Shook Ones." (and ofc there's stuff that's more grime-y like Timbaland's beats for Missy & Luda, "B R Right," etc.) Be interested to hear more of people's thoughts on the flows from the US that work in grime, feel like that's under-discussed compared to "Wow, this does sound like a Timbaland beat."
In this interview (around 2 mins) Dizzee says he likes Jay Z, Busta Rhymes, Ludacris, E-40 & Peedi Crakk. Learning he was an E-40 fan was like, a Usual Suspects moment for me.

phil.

Did not know Dizzee Rascal was a DJ Assault fan (RBMA 2016)
Because they don’t know. They don’t know that Three 6 Mafia started all this crunk shit, that eventually became trap. They think Atlanta is where all that shit come from, and it kind of comes from Memphis. But I was into that then. When I was making Boy in da Corner, I was listening to, “Ass, titties, ass and titties, ass...” [laughs]
They got it from DJ Assault, from Detroit anyway
, that was just a remake, but that whole crunk sound was just dark. But it was the same tempo as garage, what was going on over here.
Imagine when Timbaland made “Is That Your Chick?” Remember that? For Jay Z. That’s where “I Luv U” come from. It was a cross between that and “What’s Your Fantasy?” [by] Ludacris. The call-and-response with a girl and all that shit there. That was my take on both of those tracks, but when they came out they were both odd tunes. They were different for the day, innit? But they were the tempo that we was all used to here, because of garage and then especially the darker side of garage. Like I said, like... Musical Mob when all that kind of stuff started to get a bit bouncy and a bit darker. That was more us.
No clue on the source for this one
I actually really like DJ Assault - a Detroit a ghetto tech DJ, who's produced good music that's influenced me a bit.

Don't think I've ever heard a grime set that crossed over into ghettotech, or the other way around. If anyone has some please link, I'm dying to hear that blend.

While we're at it here's another '00s rap track that fits the thread
Daz Dillinger & Bun B - Feel It (2004)

wektor

even skimming through the music from atlanta from that period you can find a lot of very obviously sonically related tracks

anticipating rustie?