Unused story ideas you can use

sufi

lala
It's weird, I saw a puff piece about the Canticle one yesterday but didn't read it. I'm assuming they are similar themes?

I think in sci-fi or fantasy a sort of decayed world is a particular branch right? Like often the reader can recognize the remnants of a civilisation from the mystified descriptions of the characters - a clue that their world is a post-apocalyptic version of ours.

Will have a look at those links anyhow thank you
Yeah it's a theme
tbh I havent read further than the wiki page for C4L, it's a cool title tho, i might like to read that puff piece of which you speak

i also read some accounts of the battle of monte cassino that somehow inspired it which are fairly grim

sufi

lala
Yeah it's a theme
tbh I havent read further than the wiki page for C4L, it's a cool title tho, i might like to read that puff piece of which you speak

i also read some accounts of the battle of monte cassino that somehow inspired it which are fairly grim
ac0f1fa3b9850580f6c505a4ee60a0b7.jpg
all hail the glory of the bomb

IdleRich

IdleRich
One thing I've always been fascinated by is those storage unit things where people pay for a room in which they can store all their stuff they don't immediately need. Mainly crap I suppose but it can be absolutely anything. And that mystery always intrigued me, I wanted to fit one into a story but wasn't sure of the best way to do it.

Problem is, I'm watching Unit 36 from that Guillermo del Toro and it takes these places as a jumping off point - still I think there are so many places you could go with this that there is still plenty to be done, so I mention it here seeing as the rest of my suggestions were so fruitful.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Phone call from a dead man like in Seconds, but there must be all kinds of modern updates on that now...
Or a character receives a phone call from another character while that character is sat there just across from them, very clearly not using a phone, in fact being completely silent, just learing at them unpleasantly, like in The Lost Highway. I found that scene very creepy.

(I wonder, though, if AI tech is good enough these days that you could convincingly fake such a scenario in real life? Or you wouldn't even need that, if you had a sufficiently good human mimic. Which possibilities makes the idea a whole lot less creepy, of course.)

catalog

One thing I've always been fascinated by is those storage unit things where people pay for a room in which they can store all their stuff they don't immediately need. Mainly crap I suppose but it can be absolutely anything. And that mystery always intrigued me, I wanted to fit one into a story but wasn't sure of the best way to do it.

Problem is, I'm watching Unit 36 from that Guillermo del Toro and it takes these places as a jumping off point - still I think there are so many places you could go with this that there is still plenty to be done, so I mention it here seeing as the rest of my suggestions were so fruitful.
I was getting youtube shorts from some guy who buys those those lockers when they've been unclaimed fof some time and in one he found a safe, got it open, but I think it contained a vial of dust or something like that

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was getting youtube shorts from some guy who buys those those lockers when they've been unclaimed fof some time and in one he found a safe, got it open, but I think it contained a vial of dust or something like that
Probably sprinkle blood on it and it will reconstitute and come back to life... actually maybe don't do that.

They kinda wasted the idea on the thing I watched. Good build up but very bad ending, crappy cgi ending.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Or a character receives a phone call from another character while that character is sat there just across from them, very clearly not using a phone, in fact being completely silent, just learing at them unpleasantly, like in The Lost Highway. I found that scene very creepy.
I guess a lot of people do. This scene is more famous and often seen as more disturbing than the more obviously creepy one when they receive a video through the post that someone has recorded of them sleeping. When Lynch goes for surreal horror it doesn't always work, but this time he successfully landed some weird blow against normalcy that is very effective. Although most people probably can't exactly explain why it makes the hairs on the back of their necks stand up.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I guess a lot of people do. This scene is more famous and often seen as more disturbing than the more obviously creepy one when they receive a video through the post that someone has recorded of them sleeping.
Sure - in one case you've got a horrible invasion of privacy and the supposed sanctity of your home, but it's achieved (presumably) with a tiny hidden camera, which is a pretty mundane piece of technology - while the other actually violates a pretty major law of reality.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes... but we know we're watching a movie and directors can violate the laws of reality with impunity. How does he make this one so affective (and effective) when so many times it isn't?

When they said "Izzy whizzy let's get busy" it broke the laws of reality but not many say they found it chilling.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When they said "Izzy whizzy let's get busy" it broke the laws of reality but not many say they found it chilling.
I dunno man, I still sometimes awake in the dead of night, drenched in cold sweat, with those dread syllables from the Necronomicon swirling round and round in my head, threatening to drag me down once and for all into the nethermost realms of nightmare and madness...

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
From a team meeting detour this morning

A psychotherapist working within a public healthcare system for traumatised patients has intentions of harvesting a psychic woodland made up of their safe-space tree archetypes

We were talking about threat perception, how any reference to innocent vulnerabilities can lead to inappropriate subject re nippers and anything sacred has almost been removed from the world. Creating a deeper sense of dread would require a different form of malevolence and manipulation. Taps into ecology, risk, will, without any direct explanation of the therapist’s intentions