sus

Never mind that Logan was supposed to be losing his mind in the first series but has apparently just 'got better' over the course of a few years. Now I'm no geriatrician but that strikes me as fairly implausible.

I'm still watching it because the acting and scripting are both great, but yeah, it's impossible to completely ignore all this stuff that was built up to be a big thing and then forgotten about.
TV writing logic these days seems to be that each season needs a new gimmick for the arc. But this means that previous arcs start to feel meaningless—and the latest arc too, by extension—because it never adds up; all that time invested in setting up the geriatric thing is just left behind; all the efforts of the siblings one season are just discarded and it's a fresh start the next season. Whereas good writing should always be relating back, tying in the past, making everything you've experienced load-bearing and meaningful, rather than arbitrary.

I'd agree with this. In fact, I've just finished the last episode and so the following will contain some very general and mild spoilers for Succession and other shows in a way too.
I can't reply yet because I'm not caught up! But I will come back to this

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
TV writing logic these days seems to be that each season needs a new gimmick for the arc. But this means that previous arcs start to feel meaningless—and the latest arc too, by extension—because it never adds up; all that time invested in setting up the geriatric thing is just left behind; all the efforts of the siblings one season are just discarded and it's a fresh start the next season. Whereas good writing should always be relating back, tying in the past, making everything you've experienced load-bearing and meaningful, rather than arbitrary.
One of the biggest flaws in the writing of Game of Thrones, I thought. Got worse as it went on and the show diverged further from the books, I guess.

Reactions: sus

IdleRich

IdleRich

I can't reply yet because I'm not caught up! But I will come back to this
If it makes a difference, I didn't talk about the plot or even what happened, I was just saying what I thought about the tone. In summary, without spoiling anything I hope, the ending suffered for me in that seemed they felt obliged to "go big" and make it something of a grand finale which was at odds with what you - for me correctly - identified as their strength, ie the micro-writing. So for me it was a bit disappointing that at the end they just weren't doing what they do best. And, ironically, I feel that if they had concentrated on smaller details it might have ended up being grander.

Reactions: sus