AI music

version

I know we've got the other thread but one discussing the impact on music in particular could be interesting, YouTube's already flooded with people playing about with it, like those Kanye things @maxi found.

There's a bit in that Scratcha interview Corpse posted where he mentions he's been playing AI stuff on his show then talking with the listeners about it, also that Timbaland upped a clip recently where he said he'd never got to work with Biggie until now then plays some tune he's made with AI vocals.

The tune's ok, something of a novelty, but it's thrown up all sorts of ethical questions. The comments are split between people saying it's sick and hailing the future and people saying it's fucked, inauthentic and should be left alone.

@ishmaal6813
2 months ago
Dope and sacrilegious at the same time

version

The other thing Scratcha said was people are obviously gonna use ChatGPT for lyrics. The next stage of ghostwriting.

wektor

The other thing Scratcha said was people are obviously gonna use ChatGPT for lyrics. The next stage of ghostwriting.
Well, it might have to get a little bit better before that happens lol

Where I think the game's at currently is not these insanely large models that take entire clusters of A100s to run, but the small models which you can run locally.
You can fine-tune them to suit your personal needs (based on your own data!) and run without connecting to the cloud.

ie. You have a phone app that helps you write lyrics (based on your own lyrics) which I think is a way more fun and ethical brain extension than utilising 50% of entire internet (lazily) scraped.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's interesting ATM with the drake Vs Kendrick beef cos tracks keep coming out that are either leaks or AI generated

And you see people's opinions switch based on which they think is which

So a Kendrick fan for example will say a leak is vicious and then when it seems like it's AI say oh you can tell it's not what he'd have written, or vice versa...

And the atmosphere of mistrust and conspiracy around it, so some ppl are saying Kendrick has "leaked" a diss to see what the response is and is claiming it's AI cos the response was bad

Or they're saying drakes team did an AI Kendrick verse and "leaked" it to make Kendrick look bad

Aside from this stuff though I think it's interesting cos it shows how important VOICES are vs. lyrics. At least with some artists. The voice is an intangible you can't pinpoint the appeal of and these AI covers show how important it is. But also, maybe certain voices are just what we pinpoint as good because they've been associated with popular music...

sus

Holly & Matt were at the Whitney Biennial this year

large_holly_herndon.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I presume it's cos everyone's using the same programs but all the AI art I've seen (as far as I'm aware) is immediately recognisable as AI art.

And as soon as I clock it's AI art I have no interest in it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's interesting to me that we (it seems) need to feel there's a consciousness behind art in order to appreciate it AS art

Even though electronic music is obviously generated to a large extent BY the machines, it's being at least tailored and cultivated by a person

It would be truly uncanny to read e.g. A perfect novel "by Dostoevsky" that hadn't been written by somebody, with (apparently) all the moral and spiritual content of Dostoevsky. Could we possibly take it as seriously? And why not, if it's lessons were wise and it was artfully done?