Bibliophilia day with Nigel Burch

woops

is not like other people
1689031049643.jpg

Two of the most remarkable eyebrows in all of Hackney belong to Nigel Burch. When not performing with his Fleapit Orchestra he is a key figure on the book dealing scene, with an eye on every bookshelf from here to Leytonstone Wetherspoon's. I was recently fortunate enough to be invited for a tour of his library, at his home a throne's toe away from the Elderfield public house.

1689031049715.jpg1689031049721.jpg1689031049721.jpg
Mr. Burch corresponded with Charles Bukowski in the 80s and has hand-written and -typed letters like the above, some with illustrations.
1689031049673.jpg
He also has an extensive collection of "Hank"'s first editions including this rarely sighted example.
1689031049678.jpg
That brings us to Bukowski's favourite, John Fante, who is also well represented.
1689031049688.jpg
As an admirer of German Expressionism, Mr Burch has a number of books from the movement and around, frequently with a heavy drinking theme. The above is by one Hans Fallada.
1689031049684.jpg
David Markson was an American writer who, before becoming an adventurous experimentalist, wrote these two pulp works for cash. I'm a fan of Markson's Reader's Block and sequels. I'm sure this cover art alone will be appreciated by many here.
0.jpg
Perhaps most impressive to me was this complete set of Atlas Press' Printed Head series, complete with slipcase, a limited edition including works by such heroes as Harry Mathews, Benjamin Péret and Atlas Press' own Alistair Brotchie (RIP). This amazing artefact was discovered on a park bench by an associate of the now owner.
After much admiration of these and many other treasures (including books and journals featuring BS Johnson, WS Burroughs, Alfred Jarry, Leonard Cohen etc, etc) we adjourned to the aforementioned Elderfield where Mr Burch consumed 2 pints of Landlord.