Music

woops

is not like other people
Dissensus, as far as I am aware, emerged from a spirit of celebration, not of some partisan taste, but (despite the umbrella) something we all share, and yet none of us is any closer to a definition. What is it? Birdsong, the rush of air through foliage, the babble of a stream? Crackling of embers provides percussion. At length chant is codified in a myriad. In the background, a single sinewave tonic, well beyond.

We gathered here to enthuse - differences dissolving, endless iterations all subsumed in the chorus. We never knew what we would call it, and so we united under an ironic banner, reducing ourselves in infinity. We have here the most eloquent and the slowest of stumblers, gazing on each other in mock disbelief.

Can you hear that sound? A sketch of harmony, a dogged refusal to cease? The grime in the gutter that contains a cosmos.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was thinking about this at lunchtime

At first I thought "organised sound"

But then I thought "that would include language, even at it's most basic, and is someone saying "hello" music? Is someone saying "that's 2 pounds 50" a minuet?

Some might sayyyy that poetry is a sort of music, however

In which case, is music *consciously* organised sound?

If you loop any short audio clip after several loops you'll begin to hear it as music, you'll hear it's rhythm and the "melody" of the different pitches of sounds

The conscious organisation, then, is perhaps the person who looped it-- but since ANY loop can become music is the organisation (no longer conscious, no longer INTENTIONAL anyway) the listeners?

Perhaps that's the answer. Music is (in the widest sense) what we perceive in sound as rhythm and melody

I should get back to work

version

I was thinking about this at lunchtime

At first I thought "organised sound"

But then I thought "that would include language, even at it's most basic, and is someone saying "hello" music? Is someone saying "that's 2 pounds 50" a minuet?

Some might sayyyy that poetry is a sort of music, however

In which case, is music *consciously* organised sound?

If you loop any short audio clip after several loops you'll begin to hear it as music, you'll hear it's rhythm and the "melody" of the different pitches of sounds

The conscious organisation, then, is perhaps the person who looped it-- but since ANY loop can become music is the organisation (no longer conscious, no longer INTENTIONAL anyway) the listeners?

Perhaps that's the answer. Music is (in the widest sense) what we perceive in sound as rhythm and melody

I should get back to work

yeah music = speech - text. at least roughly - i reckon it's a kind of super-developed version of the pitch and intonation parts of speech (the aural bit that doesn't contain textual info)

-- Sean Booth

okzharp

isn't poetry the sound of one hand clapping?

yknow that idea that if you play babies mozart it calms them and it helps their cognitive development? it was assumed that mozart had some rare delicate harmelodic cadence that fired the synapses. I remember reading that someone did a mega study on it and they reckoned that actually it's because the phrasing in mozart's melodic runs mimic human speech, so playing mozart to a baby is like playing them a densely layered conversation.