Do I like dubstep?

mister matthew

amusing if it is keven martin, remember reading on someones blog a while ago that they were just waiting for him to make some dubstep stuff.

mms

sometimes
mister matthew said:
amusing if it is keven martin, remember reading on someones blog a while ago that they were just waiting for him to make some dubstep stuff.

well... new album on rephlex soon i think

Last edited:

[b]racket

mister matthew said:

Last time i caught the Bug [with Warrior Queen] play live he dropped a couple of really ruff dubstep tracks...Was chatting to him at one of the DMZ pubsessions were he told me about the new Rephlex album. Got a lot of respect for Kevin Martin. I love his Techno Animal stuff...

Badmarsh

Y'all be shocked with what DJ Distance has been cookin up - some really really tasty music to come from him - my suggestion is to check his set at Destructive in December - it's gonna be only his productions pretty much - and having had the pleasure of hearing all his new stuff - it's well worth getting down to the rave.

We will kick of next year with a Distance release - as is traditional now at Hotflush!

Oh and look out for a dude called Ronson...a south-side take on breakstep or underground breaks or whatever its called...

Badmarsh

Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Now that Dubplate forum is fucked, can we do another one of those 'forthcoming releases' lists?

Apart from those already mentioned here we have...

Tectonic 003 - Loefah & Skream '28 Grams/Fearless', which I reckon is gonna be one of the heaviest releases of the year. dropping soonish. followed by a 4-track EP from Random Trio.

Still waiting for ITAL002. Any news there?

Plasticman album due to drop on Rephlex in November last I heard

Loefah album due on Tempa at some point

anyone care to expand?

loefah album not due for a while btw...

nomos

Administrator
Badmarsh said:
Y'all be shocked with what DJ Distance has been cookin up - some really really tasty music to come from him - my suggestion is to check his set at Destructive in December - it's gonna be only his productions pretty much - and having had the pleasure of hearing all his new stuff - it's well worth getting down to the rave.
I picked up Boka3 recently and I'm in love with 'Saints and Sinners.' Definitely a new brighter shade of dark emerging there and in other rare bits (eg: Macabre's 'Lift Off' and Boxcutter's 'Sunshine'). It's not light like post-Bukem skittering DnB muzak light. It's still got a some illness in the underpinnings. Very excited to hear what else Distance has in store.

joenice

Miriam Gonzalez lover....
Badmarsh said:

We will kick of next year with a Distance release - as is traditional now at Hotflush!
Agreed...agreed and agreed.

Distance has some fireworks going on right now. No joke.

mister matthew

[b]racket said:
Last time i caught the Bug [with Warrior Queen] play live he dropped a couple of really ruff dubstep tracks...Was chatting to him at one of the DMZ pubsessions were he told me about the new Rephlex album. Got a lot of respect for Kevin Martin. I love his Techno Animal stuff...

yeah, talented and versatile guy isn't he. 16/17 were good too as i recall, and i liked the second Curse of the golden vampire LP from a couple of years ago or so, the one that was more on the metal tip. Interesting how he has had fingers in a lot of pies; dhr, the justin broadrick/godflesh milieu, razor-x and the bug stuff and now this...

him making some nasty dubstep tracks seems like a match made in heaven really

Last edited:

Paul Hotflush

techno head
Reza, sorry I haven't sent you that record man. The TPs all got swallowed up and I only got 3 finished copies. The rest are either at distributors or in a warehouse in Essex! I'll hit you up when I get some more.

Plasticman

DonRuba said:
Since Plasticman is on the Rephlex Compilation I've thought that he's definitely dubstep, and as we all know his tunes "Cha" and "Cha VIP" have been hugely popular to spit bars over on the grime scene. But what, that isn't dubstep? I'm confused. "Request Line" sounds more like grime to me than "Cha". I mean, "Request Line" isn't that far from tunes like Gype, is it?

I've never made Dubstep.

Request line has a Sub Bassline - as do 90% of Dubstep productions. Cha never had any sub at all, it is 75% mid range making up the tune, which is textbook for grime production. The fast tempo beat pattern in Cha is also very much a grime thing. It is also a straight up 8 bar production - which is exactly how grime started out, 8 bars of on loop, then 8 bars of another, with very few variations along the way. Cha was designed for MC's to spit over, whereas Request Line was designed to stand alone as an instrumental track.

I can see your confusion here, but it sounds to me as most people's confusion as to what my sound actually is all boils down to the fact I play regularly at FWD. Just because I play there, it doesn't make me a Dubstep producer.

I would agree that most of the tracks on the first Rephlex comp were not grime, but all of my productions for that album were grime which I had designed to appeal to a more IDM / electro audience.

blissblogger

Blackdown said:
i thought the term was descriptive and came from Matt Jam Lamont saying 'i dont play any of that grimey garage...'. Hip hop was using the term long before Dillinjah's 'grimey' adopted it, it's on a Gangstarr LP from about 1998. it was just a term for musical description.

i think the first people to use grimy was Onyx, they used to go on about their grimeeee style of shouty hoarse mcing and the grimeeeee sound, it was sort of comically overstated darkness/menace (but i liked them, anyway). that would have been 93. they had a song that was big that was quite moshy in vibe, the hook was 'let the boys be boys', and the whole feel of it is quite proto-grime and proto-crunk, that sort of lurchy bombast feel. the video showed a black-and-white moshpit.

anyways i reckon the word's just been floating around since then

and it's a great term, it totally captures everything about the music -- the grim grey streets of east london thing, the hoarse-coarse vocals, the lo-fi sound, the dirty grubby cheapness of everything to do with the genre.

reza

Paul Hotflush said:
Reza, sorry I haven't sent you that record man. The TPs all got swallowed up and I only got 3 finished copies. The rest are either at distributors or in a warehouse in Essex! I'll hit you up when I get some more.

No worries Paul, nice one - been playing the CD anyhow...