Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i like sully. should i comb this thread to find more like him?

Interesting thing about Sully is that he is the only one of these nu-garage producers I've heard who really nails his drums - they're swingy but solid. The thing is, they sound great but essentially also sound like 'old' 2-step beats. So I'm not sure how much 'future' is in there - but who cares? He's a great producer.

I wonder if the tempo that some of these producers are writing at effects how good the 2step beats sound? Presumably some of it is close to dubstep speeds...

I almost think the 'future garage' thing is harmful to a lot of these producers since you inevitably are drawn to compare it with the original 2step/garage - and you find a lot of things missing. It's like when luka was talking about burial in the other thread - I can see where he's coming from and I even agree with what he said somewhat, but I also think it's a case of trying to find something in burial which isn't there, though it is is in his influences i.e. joy, happiness, fun party music.

jimitheexploder

Sully really does nail his drums.

Bigging up the Keysound crew like, but Kowton nailed it too on his 12".

And they both did it at slower tempos, which I guess leaves a nice bit of space to get a groove going that has that ballance between unpradictable funk and propulsive drive.

Its a tough ballancing act no doubt.

EDIT!

Saying that 'Jackmans Rec' by Sully on Frijso Beats has a pretty swung garage beat and that pretty damn close to 140 and the flip isn't far off either. Sully's just a badman haha...

Last edited:

Tim F

Interesting thing about Sully is that he is the only one of these nu-garage producers I've heard who really nails his drums - they're swingy but solid. The thing is, they sound great but essentially also sound like 'old' 2-step beats. So I'm not sure how much 'future' is in there - but who cares? He's a great producer.

Yeah I think what is quite noticeable about Sully is precisely that solidity that you mention - the drums really bang. I think a lot of this stuff really is post-Burial to the extent that the 2-steppy beats are deliberately light, flimsy even, presumably so as to maximise the music's delicate, atmospheric qualities (perhaps in reaction to the bam-bam-bosh-bosh of so much dubstep). Which is not what 2-step back in the day actually was like by and large (with some exceptions).

FairiesWearBoots

Yes! thats totally my experience with some of this newer stuff, I like it it but I am looking for an updated 2-step sound
(like many, for me, it was primarily those fresh 2-step beats I was into)
and SOME of the new producers dont seem to focus on the drums

I want that solid 2-step beat because it makes me want to dance,but if I listen to some of these newer tracks in a mix, the beat is sometimes SO scattered that it gets lost in the synths & melodies and then the groove is gone

Not sure if that makes sense? I want El-B drums (but not always with his dark vibes, I want light & dark)??

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Sully's 'Track Side/ Duk St Dub' was one of the most underrated dubstep singles of the last year in my opinion, surprised it didn't get more attention

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I wonder if the tempo that some of these producers are writing at effects how good the 2step beats sound? Presumably some of it is close to dubstep speeds...

tempo is crucial.

the slower you are the more room there is to 'swing' your hats, ie find space to shuffle them off the grid and between the 16ths. At 140bpm it is possible but much harder to make it noticeable. sully works at 130-135 and Kowton well below 130, often as low as 120 (where you kinda need a 4x4 to get any kind of propulsion, rather than 2step). more info on swing and skip here.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Brakles & Shortstuff going back to back at the Sonic Router party last weekend was a real treat. Hyetal even came out to replace an injured Jack Sparrow at the last minuet. Then to throw a massive curve ball Gemmy played loads of UK Funky, that might have been the result of technical dificulties though haha.

That Funky tune with the Sonic Pinball samples Gemmy played has been stuck in my head since saturday-amazing track

joe.dfx

who knows...
The thread has me more confused then ever.

I've kind of always thought/felt that the genre classifications were more for Jurnos/NME to hype something for three weeks and move on and that we (the djs/producers/listners) didn't give a shit about if some was genre X or Q or whatever silly title someone came up with. This thread is quite evident that this isn't the case?

And I think it's not too big a leap to say that most of this stuff, if played to people outside our circles, would just be considered house music (or techno) all these classifications do is bring divisive attitudes when in reality we should just be putting them all together and creating what we want, and not by some dividing genre lines, but by what we actually like and enjoy. I thought that was the point?

I really don't care where anyone is from. But that's probably because I'm stuck in the middle of america and I kind of have to have that attitude. If I was from South London, I guess I'd have to claim my ends as some kind of point of reference if nothing more then the historical context.

All I got is Prince, Bob Dylan, and RSE. and i dont like any of that shit ; )

Sully's 'Track Side/ Duk St Dub' was one of the most underrated dubstep singles of the last year in my opinion, surprised it didn't get more attention

AGREED!

duke st dub is soooooo good! when that vocal fully kicks in with the bassline it's pretty damn near perfect imo.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
The thread has me more confused then ever.

I've kind of always thought/felt that the genre classifications were more for Jurnos/NME to hype something for three weeks and move on and that we (the djs/producers/listners) didn't give a shit about if some was genre X or Q or whatever silly title someone came up with.

Totally disagree with this, and think that peope need to move past that kind of attitude.
(You yourself sound like you are starting to, from the rest of your post, so that's cool).

gumdrops

1st hessle show on rinse is a good one.
lots of good tracks.
this track at 31mins is great.
excellent programming.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
Our 1st event is this week @ Grammaphone, Shoreditch on Thursday.

9pm-2am

Deep Teknologi
Bok Bok
Skipple
Me
Young & Fly

Hosted By Shizzle

£5 After 10pm, free b4.