What is Dissensus' favourite Metallica LP?

I think it's a close run thing between Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning. Master of Puppets is more consistently thrilling, but Ride the Lightning includes Fade to Black and sounds truly out there when spangled on microdots and crash-mixed with 93 hardcore.

D

droid

HMGovt said:
I think it's a close run thing between Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning. Master of Puppets is more consistently thrilling, but Ride the Lightning includes Fade to Black and sounds truly out there when spangled on microdots and crash-mixed with 93 hardcore.

Id go for 'Master' or 'And Justice for all' (despite the bizarre production).. most of Ride the lightning stinks of Megadeth IMO...

nomos

Administrator
Some kind of monster

I can't say I'm a fan of their music, but I thought the documentary was fantastic.

autonomicforthepeople said:
I can't say I'm a fan of their music, but I thought the documentary was fantastic.

That's midway down a pile of DVDs I have to watch, I think you've just promoted it to nearer the top (I've read mixed reviews you see, but if it gets a Dissensite Seal of Approval, that's good enough for me.

Dubquixote

Submariner
metallica rulez!

i just wanted to say that. ...and justice is definitely the sentimental favorite for me, but master of puppets is truly epic.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
This is where we need those stupid headbanging smilies they have on dogsonacid and the like.

But, Master of Puppets, although I haven't listened in about 6 years or so.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Metallica sound OVERRATED to me but i must confess there are some catchty tunes in almost every of their albums. If I had to choose probably Ride the Lightening but a very well compiled best of would be enough for me.
Thrash Metal and Death Metal threads to be started soon!

ciao da francesco

Last edited:

Jim Daze

Cant say I've ever really listened to an album end to end but that recent film about them 'Some Kind Of Monster' is excellent.

redcrescent

...And Justice For All.
Getting this on a shitty cassette at a street stall in Cairo as an impressionable 12 year-old was a real musical epiphany. I was living in East Africa at the time (1988), and music was very hard to come by. Anyone going to the US or Europe would leave with huge wants lists and return with as many tapes as they could get, mostly Metal, hardcore/grindcore and hiphop.
I remember the way I would gather with friends to listen to these amazingly exotic artifacts. Most of the time we'd be up in someone's room listening to whole albums, end-to-end, sometimes three or four times in a row, without uttering a single word. Or ride out on our BMX bikes and listen to things on a beat-up tape player somewhere outdoors. You'd be looking forward to these sessions for days and weeks, and talk about the music for months afterwards.
Now I look around me and there are stacks and stacks of unopened CDs and unplayed vinyl, and a lot of times it's just, 'Ho-hum, another one.'
What a change, and not necessarily one for the better!

redcrescent

droid said:
'And Justice for all' (despite the bizarre production)
It IS very trebly indeed. I dunno, but I think the almost total absence of bass on that record was the very best tribute to the then recently deceased Cliff Burton.

Dubquixote

Submariner
ha ha no talking about metallica. only self-referential post-everything hipster rock is allowed. or safer yet just sticking to grime... (cue rockism thread)

redcrescent

Dubquixote said:
ha ha no talking about metallica. only self-referential post-everything hipster rock is allowed. or safer yet just sticking to grime... (cue rockism thread)
Oh, do be fair. It's called Dissensus for a reason, and there's room for everyone.

redcrescent

As much as their music meant to a very young me... judging from the abominable quality of post-1988 Metallica releases (and after what those greedy bastards did in the anti-Napster lawsuit business, unforgiveable!) that one star rating is spot on, IMHO.

mms

sometimes
Dubquixote said:
i was just kidding, having noticed the rare and scornful 1 star rating that metallica earned ;)

thats cos slayer are better, and testaments first album 'the legacy' .
i heard a really good breakcore mash up version of reign in blood recently, on tasty red vinyl.
megadeth were pretty bad tho, poor dave mustaine.

Dubquixote

Submariner
yea megadeth never really lived up to their legend. they're much better in ringtone form...

going back to the absence of bass on metallica recordings, i can't say it ever bothered me because the natural context for listening to metal (back in middle school days) was always my little bedside clock radio with complete crap speakers. that little thing never sounded so big as on fridays from midnight to 2 am during the death metal show on local college radio!

ripley

Master of Puppets, on lovingly-bootlegged, second generate cassette tape.

of the kind that MADE THEM POPULAR SO THEY COULD FUCKING AFFORD TO NEGOTIATE THEIR COPYRIGHTS, AND EVENTUALLY MAKE MONEY OFF THEM AND SUE THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THEM POPULAR IN THE FIRST PLACE THROUGH SPENDING HOURS COPYING AND COMPILING AND SHARING THEIR TUNES. argh. not bitter at all there.