PDA

View Full Version : fave grime catchphrases

stelfox
12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
mine is still probably jammer with "neckle!"
any other bids?

Blackdown
12-10-2005, 09:27 AM
actual lyrics or just things that get said?

stelfox
12-10-2005, 09:45 AM
i'm thinking more along the lines of just catchphrases, vocal flourishes, lyrical trademarks (one of the real big links between grime and dancehall, incidentally)...

nine
12-10-2005, 09:52 AM
"are u stupid?"

and anything to do with showers

simon silverdollar
12-10-2005, 10:33 AM
"are you mad? do you hate yourself?!'

Blackdown
12-10-2005, 10:50 AM
how can no one have mentioned 'go on then...' and 'draw for the ...' ?!!

Blackdown
12-10-2005, 11:15 AM
it's not catchphrases but i like all the incidental things MCs say between bars.

ie...

‘dat’s you’
‘quick ting … nothing long’
‘dun the roads’
‘all day, every day’
‘don’t dis me like dat’
‘it’s not dem way der’
‘don’t watch face’
‘not dat’

tom pr
12-10-2005, 12:13 PM
'Get air' is number one and the best, especially when related to private callers. and 'wasteman', obviously.

gabriel
12-10-2005, 02:22 PM
what is it that skepta seems to say all the time, is it 'jack 'em' or 'jacob' or something?

Jezmi
12-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Antight da crew, I think Rapid of the Ruff sqwad says that a lot. Best big up phrase in my book.

mms
12-10-2005, 03:51 PM
either 'oh oh' from d double
or 'go on then go on then ' skepta at the mo

Blackdown
12-10-2005, 03:54 PM
skepta also seems to like 'shuuutyamout' and 'ru'bwoy' a lot too.

Clubberlang
12-10-2005, 03:54 PM
D Double's "Mui mui" or Flirta D's "Unnnnnngh" thing.

gumdrops
12-10-2005, 03:55 PM
i like the mentions of all things 'shower'

DonRuba
12-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't think most of the things mentioned so far are real catchphrases, at least not in the sense I mean. A catchphrase should be something specific to one MC. It doesn't have to be a unique phrase, sometimes it can just be the way it's pronounced. Jammer's "Neckle" is an example of a catchphrase. D Double E's "Uuh-uhh" and "It's me" (the way he pronounces it, like "It's muuye") are other examples.

There are loads of them, but right now I can't come up with any...

In dancehall it has been almost compulsory to have one as an up and coming artist. Like Red Rat's "Ooh noo", Elephant Man's "Corny niggaz" and "They should now" in the beginning of his career, and later "Fo shizzle" and "Yep! Good to go" and Vybez Kartel's "Up to di time"

Many of the Youngers have good ones, like Royal. I don't know what he says, but it sounds cool. It sounds something like "Geniate-ate" Anybody knows what the heck he's saying?

sushi
12-10-2005, 04:21 PM
definitely "suck your mum"

mpc
12-10-2005, 04:28 PM
'pon ya soul' - ribs

'pass me the leng' - jammer

'nah, but differently...' - wiley and other roll deep members

Immryr
12-10-2005, 06:13 PM
royal is saying THATS........THATS GBH!!

petergunn
12-10-2005, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=DonRuba]

In dancehall it has been almost compulsory to have one as an up and coming artist. Like Red Rat's "Ooh noo", Elephant Man's "Corny niggaz" and "They should now" in the beginning of his career, and later "Fo shizzle" and "Yep! Good to go" and Vybez Kartel's "Up to di time"

/QUOTE]

oh, this is more fun with dancehall...

bounty killer- "lord have mercy"

petergunn
12-10-2005, 07:14 PM
and for grime:

"SERIOUS"

DJL
12-10-2005, 07:25 PM
D Double - "Dirteee - dats mwee"

atomly
12-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Bruza - "Get Me!"

Whoa-B
12-10-2005, 10:11 PM
"yeyeyeyeyee" --Scratchy

greeneyes
12-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Another vote for Bruza's "Get Me".

Cracks me up every time.

atomly
13-10-2005, 12:53 AM
"yeyeyeyeyee" --Scratchy

You know, I hated that the first time I heard it, but it's totally grown on me.

Especially after B U N.

zhao
13-10-2005, 03:15 AM
what happened to the "grime terminology" thread? I only got to page 2 and meant to read the rest

toasted
13-10-2005, 04:49 AM
hammer when he gets on the STINNKKKKOYYYY! YEEEEAAH! tip

there was some rinse set where he completely lost the plot

DAT BOY IS STINKOOYY! WHEN U HEAR U BE LIKE YEEHHEAHEA YEEHEAHEA!!

also another vote for scratchys yyeyeyeyeey... i bust this out at uni all the time - ppl are like :confused: so i draw for the screwface :mad:

theo
13-10-2005, 04:59 AM
Although not catchphrases

"I love this war like Captain Hook" - Foots
"I will come to your birthday party" JME

both are jokes

Jammer's neckle annoys the fuck out of me - I think people tolerate it because he makes tunes and so they can't really say anything.
_

outraygeous
13-10-2005, 08:04 AM
'are You Mad!'

appleblim
13-10-2005, 10:24 AM
where DOES 'shoewr'/ 'showerface'/'showerman'/'shower-curtain business(!!)' come from?

i love it! but am intrigued as to where it comes from......who said it first? what does it MEAN?

Diggedy Derek
13-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Definitely "differently". It's just a brilliant things to say. "Yeah, I'm cooking some hot chilli tonight, but with some coriander in it, making you sweat differently".

DonRuba
13-10-2005, 10:53 AM
royal is saying THATS........THATS GBH!!

Seriously? Nah... GBH? What would that mean?

And he rhymes it with words like "great" and "weight"... I'm pretty sure it's something that ends with -ate.

Bruza's "Get me", JME's "Serious", and Scratchie's warrior cry are among my favorites too.

But... I thought there would be more? If you don't restrict yourselves to your favorites, are there more examples you can come up with?

Trim's "Lisssteeen! Are you lisssteniiing?" is another one which I quite like. And the way D. Dark ends his words in a high pitch is maybe not exactly a catchphrase but it's still his signum. Not sure I'm feeling that one though. Maybe he should stick to producing. Lake Days is a nice riddim.

DonRuba
13-10-2005, 10:56 AM
where DOES 'shoewr'/ 'showerface'/'showerman'/'shower-curtain business(!!)' come from?

i love it! but am intrigued as to where it comes from......who said it first? what does it MEAN?

This is the thread for you. A good thread idea, well deserving a bump:

"questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?"
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=2349

nick
13-10-2005, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=DonRuba]Seriously? Nah... GBH? What would that mean?

GBH = grievous bodily harm

"Wounding or inflicting Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH) Section 20
Arrestable offence
Five years imprisonment in indictment; six months imprisonment and/or fine summarily

It is an offence to unlawfully and maliciously to wound OR inflict Grievous Bodily Harm with or without a weapon on any other person.

Instances that amount to a charge of Wounding or inflicting GBH include permanent disability, broken bones, substantial loss of blood."

http://www.policeuk.com/study/law_assault.html

DonRuba
13-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Seriously? Nah... GBH? What would that mean?

GBH = grievous bodily harm

Ok, thanks! But is this really what he says? I doesn't sound like it to me.

bun-u
13-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Haven't we been here before?

Anyway - quite enjoying 'eeediot ting' JME/Riko

stelfox
13-10-2005, 12:16 PM
bun-u i've just messaged you

h-crimm
13-10-2005, 12:52 PM
you kno what time it is!

gumdrops
13-10-2005, 02:20 PM
not really a catchphrase, but i do love how on the rinsessions pack, riko says a couple of times: "soundboy, what you gone and done to yourself?!' he sounds so disappointed/sympathetic.

baboon2004
13-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Not a catchphrase, but Wiley's "I try SO hard" at the beginning of "They Can't Get Along with Wiley" on the Rwd mixtape is absolutely hilarious. He sounds crestfallen.

simon silverdollar
13-10-2005, 07:00 PM
scratchy's corruption of brap-

'BREEE, BREE!', (As heard on the when i'm ere remix)

also, hyper-fen's ultra high pitched, 'it's merk-AGE'.

also, jendor's weird scooby-doo growls.

Immryr
13-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Ok, thanks! But is this really what he says? I doesn't sound like it to me.

yes.

SIZZLE
13-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Definitely Scratchy's Warrior Cry, also his version of skepta's bum bubu bum bum, as well as skepta's original.

Bruza's Get Me is definitely big too.

Lethal's hi pitched scream thing was kinda shower too ie: 'Aaaah! Lethal B's got a gun!'

Also almost all of Flirta's sounds 'The Legend The Legend', 'I'm in Control-trol' and Skepta's jacking of them which is too hilarious.

Double's 'Ouuh Ouuh' is still one of the illest most chi-focused human sound expressions since Bruce Lee's I'm-About-To-Karate-Chop-Your-Ass screams. Pure chi-force energy in audio form.

What about producer sounds? Terrah kinda has this whole area on lock with his Terrah giggle sample.

jack
13-10-2005, 08:45 PM
i'm confused as to how to use 'differently' in a sentence. Is it kind of '...on the contrary...', for instance 'Younger Nasty are appalling', 'differently they're big still'?

sushi
13-10-2005, 10:19 PM

i don't know if it originally came from him, but if you check out the roll deep dvd that comes with "in the deep end", flow dan goes into an in depth explanation of the meaning behind "showa".

toasted
13-10-2005, 10:23 PM
i'm confused as to how to use 'differently' in a sentence. Is it kind of '...on the contrary...', for instance 'Younger Nasty are appalling', 'differently they're big still'?

not quite... you append it when describing something which is done in a different way.. usually taking something to the next level..

"late light caller merks raves differently"

mpc
13-10-2005, 10:37 PM
u can also use it to contradict.

like on westwood when he was bigging up bizzle & wiley was like...."no, but differently, lethal b is a wasteman"

NOT A quote, but...you see what i mean.

originaldrum
15-10-2005, 07:10 AM
flow dan goes into an in depth explanation of the meaning behind "showa".

i was thining that if plasticman couldn't come up with a new name he could always call himself curtainman

Logan Sama
15-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Differently can be a quantitive word used on the end of a sentence to emphasise the point, akin to "a lot".

It can also be used, as wiley used to, as a segue into another point.

Rambler
16-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Don't know if this counts as a catchphrase, but I love the 'Merk, that's the way we work!' line that runs through Blackdown's Keysound Radio mix...