bugz in the attic

hint

party record with a siren
would be interested to know how many of the members here are into / aware of people like bugz in the attic...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/dance/essentialmix/tracklistings.shtml

that's a mix they did for UK radio at the weekend (you'll be able to listen to the stream until this weekend)

I guess I see them as sort of straddling the gap between house and underground garage... certainly not grimey, but tracks that appear in that mix like "gypo" by mark force, seiji's track with spoonface and the solid groove remix of sunship certainly cross over. one of the crew, daz-i-kue, records as da ends (of "are you really from the ends?" fame) and many of the bigger names in the scene have been active in music for many many years - whether it be drum and bass or house or whatever. dego and domu are 2 good examples of this.

I personally really connect with the whole broken beat scene (as most people seem to call it) and we try and push a lot of the music through our crew's website http://www.futureboogie.com and the club night.

hint

originaldrum said:
and for once they didn't play the red single on big apple recs?

ha!

I think it's good that there's DJs out there still getting mileage out of stuff like "dollar $ign", "oriental express" and "red"... I'm always happy to hear those tunes and the crowds that bugz play to week in week out seem to enjoy them too.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i like them a lot. their fabric mix was great and i still play red 1, it's a good tune and a great bridge record to get into other things when playing to a more housey/techy crowd

Andy K

"______"
What has there been this year album-wise -- beyond DKD (love it), NSM (a little lukewarm on it) and the Bugz remix album (need to track down the vinyl since the CD has edits)? I've fallen behind.

As One might as well be considered full-fledged broken beat now, no? Not quite as into his new one as I was/am Planetary Folklore and 21st Century Soul. Doesn't mean I won't be wearing it out.

hint

Andy K said:
What has there been this year album-wise -- beyond DKD (love it), NSM (a little lukewarm on it) and the Bugz remix album (need to track down the vinyl since the CD has edits)? I've fallen behind.

it's slim pickings as far as albums are concerned... there's:

alex attias' album as mustang on compost - absolutely nuts. some people really hate it... it's certainly patchy, but you've gotta admire the balls, cos it's so out there. like a kind of broken techno jazz opera fusion album. :confused:

the troubleman album on far out - this is fresh... again, patchy (some of the slower tracks are a bit wishy washy), but the strong tracks are very, very strong.

domu's umod album on sonar kollectiv - not strictly dancefloor or broken beat, but domu's one of the best in my opinion and 90% of what he does is an enjoyable listen.

madlib's album as DJ Rels on stone's throw - I'm not a big fan of it as an album... it's typical madlib in the sense that it's pretty frustrating (good bits don't hang around long enough) and it has that whole squased-to-death sound he puts on all his tracks these days.

Logan Sama said:
They sound very much like a bootleg Wookie

don't agree with this at all... they certainly share the same influences, but tracks like "booty la la", "loose lips", "transcend me"... sound nothing like wookie. which tracks (wookie / bugz) are you referring to in particular?

gumdrops

anyone know what good new broken beat stuff there is to check out? there doesnt seem to have been many comps out in a while. i cant keep playing my 5-year old people make the world go round cd...

mms

sometimes
the troubleman album on far out - this is fresh... again, patchy (some of the slower tracks are a bit wishy washy), but the strong tracks are very, very strong.

that's man like mark pritchard isn't it ?
i really like booty la la it's a rum cove of a track but i can imagine listening to too much of that stuff and you might start to feel like a milksop pantywaiste .

gumdrops

does anyone else think that with obvious exceptions, a lot of the songwriting and often even the singing/lyrics in broken beat tracks can be pretty weak? its one of the things that puts me off.

sweetfred

songs

Their production is up to standards but songwriting is not tops.
There is a new guy from Bristol called Zumen who I have a prerelease of (Rolexx).
It is even better than Seiji.
Isn't the broken scen a bit up its own arse (aka coop) with an almost "northern soul" attitude ?

gumdrops

well they dont look upon much else with much affection, they seem to regard themselves as the heirs to 70s fusion, soul and soul-jazz, and think of themselves as sophisticated, mature, 'real music' etc etc. sometimes though, the 'classiness' in the music reminds me far more of 80s/90s notions of fusion, so seems a bit tepid and tame.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i dont know if it's cos Kaidi Thadam plays on all of their tunes, but loads of the bugz tracks have these trademark keyboard riffs. kinda moody/modal or summat.

gumdrops

kaidi is something of a genius. his album feed the cat is maybe the best back to front broken beat album ever. not sure if he plays on all bugz' stuff though. i dont think so.

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
love 'em. I still go back to the Fabrix mix and the Phuturistic Dancin' comp on Bitasweet. Loose lips! :D

After hearing these guys and folks like IG Culture, Madlib went and did that broken Dj Rels album.BTW.

gumdrops

blackdown, have you heard the misa negra remix of afronaught's carnival track? its amazing (and it has some killer D&B/UKG-ish basslines).