Dear PitchforkMedia, You are really freaking me out (Re. Ruff Sqwad)

ryan17

Alright so they review 'Run the Road' no big deal that was a decent release and was pressed by vice mag. and yeah they love dizzee a lot but who doesn't?

but honestly them reviewing 'guns and roses vol. 1' by ruff sqwad that is a little unlike them. well quite a bit unlike them actually.

this is central to the continuous debate on here about GRIME becoming a legit mainstream, money making genre. if pitchfork keeps up reviewing important grime releases i don't doubt it will catch on eventually (in the U.S. that is)

am i the only one really weirded out by this?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Wow! Crazy! This is good. I thought that the Pitchfork review of Run The Road was quite nicely done- pitched well at Pitchfork readers, obviously a lot of it was a bit pedestrian for grime veterans, but it was the right review for the kind of readers they get there.

dubplatestyle

(basically the reason i am writing about grime [and other dissensus friendly stuff like nu-dnb, breakcore, dancehall, etc.] for pfork is three-fold: 1.) it's the stuff i like, 2.) they want me to, and 3.) someone's got to. don't get me wrong...i still have major problems with pfork [see "someone's got to"...when i click on the frontpage and see the majority of stuff covered for their audience i am just baffled as to how anyone could continue, in 2005, to fill their lives with this undistinguished glut of indie/avant/whatever] and could never work with ryan schrieber in 1 million years. but scott [managing ed] is a really nice guy who likes all of this stuff himself and is actively comitted to [however slowly] expanding their remit. i don't expect that ruff sqwad review got read by as many people who read the evens review, but i guess i will just have to beat them down with sheer bloodyminded intent. plus i think it'd be good to have someone covering "this stuff" who's been into it [if we wanna get sticky about it] for eight years now, just so we dont have any repeats of the <i>run the road</i> debacle. though i look forward to defending myself against logan. :D )

stevienixed

i suffer rock
"i am just baffled as to how anyone could continue, in 2005, to fill their lives with this undistinguished glut of indie/avant/whatever]"

Well, some people just don't grow tired of it. I'm always weary of making such assumptions, some people *move on*, some people stick to a genre believing there's no expire date. Or did I just misread your comment?

For what it's worth (about two euro cents), I like PFork, I think they have some really good writers.

dubplatestyle

i do! but that's not even what i was talking about.

stevie: i have no problem with people listening to rock/indie. "undistinguished" was the bigger part of that statemtn, for me.

dubplatestyle

sometimes you just read those band names and your soul yawns. (i am especially sensetive to this, because i think it's how people usually react to all that neo-dnb stuff that i am banging on about. is "equinox" really any better than one of those "the [blanks]" garage band names?)

DavidD

can't be stopped
ryan17 said:
if pitchfork keeps up reviewing important grime releases i don't doubt it will catch on eventually (in the U.S. that is)
I'd say the chief misconception you've got going on is in this sentence....

believekevin

Grime people: The next time you look to our shores, throw on "Crunk Music" or "Put Your Hood Up" at +8 and go nuts.

on dogs, truer words never spoken!

although, that quick take of aaliyah's "miss you" on the RD creeper mixtape is tiighhht.

turtles

in the sea
Yeah, actually pitchfork has been rising slightly in my esteem lately (which ain't saying much, believe me) with the addition of yourself, Jess, as well as Julianne Shepherd (with a column, no less), and Drew Daniel reviewing singles. They finally seem to be getting some people in there that a) can write and b) have some interesting opinions about interesting music. So yeah, more freaking out of pitchfork readership please!

(aside: only 7.2?! You know how much dreck gets better grades than that on that site? For "Heat" alone Guns & Roses deserves better...man i love that song)

anyway, keep up the good work

Progout

rollie fingers
I don't see it as wierd (pitchfork pitching grime and neo dnb) for one reason... it has evolved out of the realm of dance music and into the realm of listening music. Rephlex and others understand this. I remember going on dubplate.net about two years ago and thinking, hmmm... where does one draw the line? The same thing happened with hip-hop twenty-five years ago i suppose. pitchfork may also be largely responsible for having turned on the legions of indie fans who rate Boards of Canada.

Progout

rollie fingers
perhaps... what will create more buzz for RunTheRoad, that it was reviewed on Pitchfork or released on Vice? are they symbiotic channels? Vice just gave the new Sam Prekop disc a 0. I'm curious to see now how Pitchfork rates it.

Clubberlang

I'd be surprised if Run The Road sells many more copies than Wiley's album did in this country (they had ONE, count 'em, ONE new copy at Amoeba yesterday.)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Progout said:
Vice just gave the new Sam Prekop disc a 0. I'm curious to see now how Pitchfork rates it.

I don't reckon there's any chance Pitchfork would completely dismiss one of those Chicago bods. I was going to write "one of the Chicago School" but that might not be taken the right way.

Still love that tune Prekop did with Prefuse. It's one of the few instances where someone's taken the cut-up approach in a smooth direction. Hope it's not too "seductive" and un-challenging. ;)