Dear PitchforkMedia, You are really freaking me out (Re. Ruff Sqwad)

S

simon silverdollar

Melchior said:
Hey, blame Jess not me! He called it a primer.

Anyway, who's gonna do a mix of all these tracks and then all the tracks in Silverdollar's Wire grime primer, so we can compare them?

Whadaya say?

i didn't do the wire grime primer- simon reynolds (blissout.blogspot.com, blissblogger) did.

i did a grime primer for stylusmagazine.com tho.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
simon silverdollar said:
i didn't do the wire grime primer- simon reynolds (blissout.blogspot.com, blissblogger) did.

i did a grime primer for stylusmagazine.com tho.

I actually realised that after I had posted, but forgot to edit it. Sorry for the mix up.

turtles

in the sea
wow, between jess' excellent article on online mp3 mixes and the review of 7 (!) new kompakt singles, this has to be my favorite day of pitchfork ever! finally all my inexplicable checking of that website has been repaid (a bit).

ryan17

yeah jess and perhaps nick are carrying the website almost single-handedly. big ups harvell.

turtles

in the sea
Ahhh! And now today they've got a "this month in dancehall" peice by stelfox, and are promising next week a "this month in techno" article by philip sherburne...wtf!? now all they need to do is ditch all the crappy indie coverage and this would be a helluva music website.

C

captain easychord

bipedaldave said:
Ahhh! And now today they've got a "this month in dancehall" peice by stelfox, and are promising next week a "this month in techno" article by philip sherburne...wtf!? now all they need to do is ditch all the crappy indie coverage and this would be a helluva music website.

ya i saw that! big.

dubplatestyle

the "this month in..." columns are hopefully going to be a regular thing. aside from dancehall and techno/tech-house, there's also going to be a "the month in grime" (by martin c), and "the month in dnb/jungle/breakcore" (no guesses as to who that one's by.)

all praise for this stuff should go to pfork's managing ed scott plagenhoef, who has been pretty tireless about broadening the site's scope in the face of an audience who (supposedly) wants interpol live reviews.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
haha, jess beat me to the punch there. anyway, i'm psyched about this—hell, if you're going to write about what's still essentially a pretty impenetrable genre to many people, you might as well open some doors for the uninitiated as preach to the converted—and have found scott really nice to work with, so i'm more than happy to carry on with my little bit. if any of you haven't heard the bionic ras that i'm banging on about this month, head over to breakingranks.blogspot.com and you can wrap yer lugs round some downloadable mp3s. also just want to say props to jess for some great work lately, getting those first toes in the door etc.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Bionic Ras is amazing. As someone who attended many many many many nu-nrg events in the past it is bonkers to hear hoovers in dancehall.

turtles

in the sea
dubplatestyle said:
all praise for this stuff should go to pfork's managing ed scott plagenhoef, who has been pretty tireless about broadening the site's scope in the face of an audience who (supposedly) wants interpol live reviews.
well then, praise be to plagenhoef!

(and, i'm psyched. these monthly recaps are perfect for a dilettente such as myself, especially when written by such esteemed fellows :D )

stelfox

Beast of Burden
well thanks, i just hope they do the job and maybe get people to listen to something they might not have done. then again, i'd be pretty fucked off if vibe started reviewing bright eyes, so we'll have to see if this works or not!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I just want to mention that PitchFork has just run a piece about online mixes from "unknowns" where they big up my Abstract 2Step mix as well as Kid Kameleon's fantastic Absolutely Shocking mix, so PitchFork is alright by me!

mms

sometimes
bipedaldave said:

ohh i like the sound of that,
a coupple of years ago after being very cool with pitchfork, alot of dance type labels got totally stonewalled, not even a reply, so it's good to see they realise that life doesn't end at the head of a gibson les paul

originaldrum

from start till done
dubplatestyle said:
(no guesses as to who that one's by.)QUOTE]

are you saying that the person who is to do this column is obvious? cause i wouldn't have a clue who your on about

or do you mean you don't know who is gonna do it, in which case me neither

Blackdown

nexKeysound
those are the genres jess/dubplatestyle likes. he was just trying to say he was going to do one of the columns himself (alongside me, stelfox and mr sherborne).

tate

Brown Sugar
And now Martin's pitchfork debut, the month in dubstep and grime. Which was very, very well done.