exercise?!?!

zhao

there are no accidents
at least 2 of my friends (both girls, don't know if that has anything to do with anything) look at me with absolute horror and disbelief when i tell them that sometimes i go jogging in the morning -- one of them is british and her exact words were "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR BLOODY MIND?!?!"

"smart and educated" people sometimes have a total aversion to physical exercise. me thinks it is the big stupids. how many people here exercise regularly or have the same reaction as my friends to the idea?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, I play football at least once every week and I've just recently started playing squash at lunchtimes (although I got the ball really hard right in the eye last week, my eye still looks as though it has a bloodstain in the middle of it).... but I would never ever go jogging or go to the gym and lift weights or anything like that. I enjoy doing a sport where you're essentially playing a game that you enjoy and then it finishes and you suddenly realise "oh look, I've done some exercise" but the idea of just doing pure exercise seems like a boring hell to me.

tom pr

i phase in and out of exercise regimes, but right now i'm in the midst of one. I run to the sea front every morning, and I'll work out three or four evenings a week. I don't bother with the gym anymore because apart from fixed weights I can do everything pretty well without one. I reckon it's just another way I put off real work.

I've also become abnormally regimented with my meals when I'm at uni- oats for breakfast every day, then a smoothie about eleven, meat dish for lunch and vegetarian dinner. very little alcohol and coffee. it all goes out the window when I'm back home though- I've just had a weekend off and it was barrage of pizza, drugs and white wine.

zhao

there are no accidents
Well, I play football at least once every week and I've just recently started playing squash at lunchtimes (although I got the ball really hard right in the eye last week, my eye still looks as though it has a bloodstain in the middle of it).... but I would never ever go jogging or go to the gym and lift weights or anything like that. I enjoy doing a sport where you're essentially playing a game that you enjoy and then it finishes and you suddenly realise "oh look, I've done some exercise" but the idea of just doing pure exercise seems like a boring hell to me.

i love football and squash and tennis too! and also would much rather do that than jogging or lift weights... but at the moment i have no one to do this stuff with :(

IdleRich

IdleRich
Squash is a good game, I'd never really played it before but one of the guys in my footie team works right round the corner from me and is a member of a local gym so we can play for free at lunch-time, I'm really getting into it. We're at a good level at the moment where every time someone figures out something new they're ahead for a bit until the other guy figures out how to deal with it, kind of like an arms race. That said he keeps beating me. Last week I was really determined but he got me right in the eye in the very first game, spoilt that match as a contest because everything was blurred. Playing again in an hour or so though and I'm up for it.

swears

preppy-kei
Jogging for two miles most nights after work, weights/situps alternate nights also. Done this for the last six months, cuz I'm sick of being a little scrawn. Have built up a bit, it's gonna take time though.

zhao

there are no accidents
there's a lot of room for improvement in squash for the average player. I've heard that pros basically never move far from the center of the room, and make the other person run around like a crazy.

viktorvaughn

Cycle to and from work. Combining the normally onerous tasks of commuting and exercising into one neat fun little package.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"there's a lot of room for improvement in squash for the average player. I've heard that pros basically never move far from the center of the room, and make the other person run around like a crazy."
Yeah, I love the tactics, it's very satisfying when you're doing the standing but it doesn't happen that often for me. On the other hand we've had some killer rallies where it ends with us both leaning on different walls completely out of breath and unable to speak for a couple of minutes. Squash seems to be a great mixture of thought, hand-eye coordination and fitness; my only criticisms of the game are the fact that sometimes you get in each other's way and sometimes you get hit by the ball.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Cycle to and from work. Combining the normally onerous tasks of commuting and exercising into one neat fun little package."
I often toy with the idea of getting a cheap bike and doing this. It would probably be cheaper and quicker than going on the bus (someone fainted today and I was late again) but I do like to read the paper and it's the only chance I get, also, I'm a sweaty bastard at the best of times and there are no showers at work.
On a related note, does anyone know what's going on with these cheap hire bikes that Ken is supposed to be introducing?

mixed_biscuits

Walk to and from work (50 mins total), quiz machining (barring 'quiz machine elbow'), table-football and occasional BUFF CLUB push-ups challenges with fitness-mad housemate - that's all you really need.

zhao

there are no accidents
BUFF CLUB push-ups challenges

how many can you do? of course we mean all the way up and all the way down but chest not touching floor proper push-ups. finger-tips instead of palms optional.

man I am fucking pathetically out of shape. i ran 2 times around the field and chest was on fire. have to do this every other day if I want to keep partying the way i do and not die at age 42 :eek:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Playing again in an hour or so though and I'm up for it."
Damn, got beat again... 5-1, it's always close on every point and every game but it's like he's always got something in reserve to win the crucial points. I've got to break his psychological advantage.

Pestario

tell your friends
From my experience 'smart and educated' people seem to be the ones who are more likely to go running.

I used to have a regular exercise routine of running 3 times a week and a little bit of weights. But that all finished when I moved to London. Commuting to work everyday invovles a lot of incidential exercise and my job requires lots of time spent trudging around north London on foot. I've actually lost weight doing this but I've lost some muscle mass too and I rarely get the heartrate up anymore (apart from the odd techno night).

mixed_biscuits

We normally do 3 sets of 30-40. I could probably do 60 in a row at the mo' - not particularly exciting.

zhao

there are no accidents
only 45 in a row here... :( but mine are more exciting with an all-star soundtrack and costume changes...

Leo

recently dusted off my Concept II rowing machine, great full-body workout for strengthening legs, arms, abs, back. as little as 10-15 minutes each morning gets the heart pumping and helps clear the mind, no more post-lunch nap urges. it's not a body-building thing, though. won't bulk you up like weights will.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
I think your hours of work have a lot to do with whether you exercise. I'm lucky enough to work afternoons, evenings and nights, which allows me to rise later than the average person and get some exercise in before lunch.

I swim 3 to 4 times a week and try to work a couple of runs in. If I worked 9 to 5 with Britain's harsh winters you could forget it. That doesn't prevent me from feeling superior than people who don't exercise.

jenks

thread death
Lots of cycling - at least fity miles on a weekend (more like 100 miles during school holidays) - on a road bike with skinny tyres and full lycra.

Quite a bit of running - 2-3 lots of 6k runs a week

I've dropped the swimming recently but want to pick it up again as I completed a sprint triathlon last year and am seriously thinking about a full length one this year(either that or Alp D'Huez)

This from a bloke who spent the greater part of his twneties and thirties sitting on his arse. Only started the exercise three years ago and dropped from 16 1/2 stone down to 12 1/2.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I go running, swimming or climbing 3 or 4 times a week - I like to ring the changes as they're all good for different things.

Running is probably my favorite. Climbing is something I've taken up quite recently, great for developing the bodys upper muscles and general sense of balance. It's a good counterpart to running.

I exercise primarily because it clears my mind and makes me calmer and more alert. The physical benefits are a nice side effect.

I've never been a big fan of team sports. I sometimes go running with others but I prefer to go on my own really. You don't lock into the zen thing as much if you're with company.