exercise?!?!

Leo

btw, forgot to mention: when i'm rowing, i much prefer to do it without any iPod/headphone music. something about the repetitive nature that' s rather zen-like (i imagine, anyway), music would be a distraction.

zhao

there are no accidents
whoa, Gabba, and then now Leo! and they call ME a new-age crack-pot!! ;) (j/k)

i can't imagine exercising alone with no ipod... it would be like sleeping with no covers or eating on all 4s.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Damn, lost again again, 3-2 this time, it was very close, a dodgy call in the second game meant I went 2-1 behind and I think I let it affect my concentration. Anyone got any good squash tips?

mos dan

fact music
my only exercise is the weekly football kick around i've played on clapham common for the last three years. it's just fantastic, there's nothing like a good mildly-but-not-really competitive match in the mud, it's one of my favourite things to do in the world. our random assemblage of players - who range from my mates to a 40 year old banker to a 17 year old somalian kid who never speaks - has somehow coalesced into a semi-official team that plays proper refereed 11-a-side games occasionally. we played against the england writer's xi in december and secured our first win. get in.

Damn, lost again again, 3-2 this time, it was very close, a dodgy call in the second game meant I went 2-1 behind and I think I let it affect my concentration. Anyone got any good squash tips?

i don't i'm afraid, but do keep us posted - i feel kind of invested in the narrative now, i want you to beat this guy! lol. it sounds like you're getting closer. someone help idlerich out! are there tactics to squash?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i don't i'm afraid, but do keep us posted - i feel kind of invested in the narrative now"
Thank you, this support could give me the boost I need to beat him next week. That dodgy call still rankles, he was winning 5-4 in the second and I hit what I thought was a winner but he called it out. In fairness he offered me a let but my foolish pride made me turn that down. It was a crucial point because you can only score on your serve and so instead of being my serve and only one point down he kept the serve and went 6-4 ahead, I was so busy regretting that decision I quickly collapsed to 9-4. With the final score at 3 games to 2, if I'd won that game I would have beaten him. Next time no quarter given.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Sometimes I might run to catch the bus to work if I'm running late.
But more times I'll just accept my fate and come up with a good excuse.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I do martial arts (Hsing I and ba Gua) once a week and practice solo a lot (when I'm dead into it which is not at the moment, very bad). No it doesn't mean I can fight before anyone asks but it has improved my co-ordination, movement and so on a lot. Also got into weights a year or two ago and started doing the Olympic lifts as they are taught in a gym near me. Big weights, above the head, lots of sweat, wearing a singlet (one of the clauses in that sentence isn't true).

I also sprint (same health benefits as running but half the time) - normally do 4-6 100+ metres once a week.

There's a whole community of American health and fitness blogs that I got into reading and which are pretty inspiring. The daddy of them all is Crossfit which is marginally terrifying (I can't do the workouts as I don't have regular access to Olympic weights) but it's this that started me sprinting. See www.crossfit.com

www.beastskills.com is loads of fun as well.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I also like www.marksdailyapple.com though this is a nutrition blog rather than fitness.

Being fit is good, but more than that, engaging with your body sorts your head out. I feel I've gone some way towards compensating for my cerebral nature. I still don't find some of the martial arts stuff as easy as some people who have a much better relationship with their bodies but it's still better than it was!

DannyL

Wild Horses
And 45 pressups in a row is well impressive, Zhao! (if you go all the way down that is)

I'm not sure how many I can do, I was trying for three sets of fifteen a bit and regularly failing the last set....

IdleRich

IdleRich
"but do keep us posted"
Victory!
Today everything came together and I thrashed him 5-1. He had no answer to my lob serves (cheers for the tip Liam) and I went 3-0 ahead very quickly. I think I let my foot off the gas in the next game and he won it but I was able to steady the ship very quickly and win the next game to stop him getting back into contention. The last game I just had too much for him. He's going to be out for blood tomorrow.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The daddy of them all is Crossfit which is marginally terrifying (I can't do the workouts as I don't have regular access to Olympic weights) but it's this that started me sprinting. See www.crossfit.com

This is mental. What does he mean, 1 1/2 body weight? Surely there's an extra '1' in there?

"10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:

Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight
Bench press: body weight
Clean: 3/4 body weight

Set up three bars and storm through for time."

DannyL

Wild Horses
That's a deadlift which is only a pull from the floor. That's the lift which normally enables people to shift the most weight. My best is 120 kilos at 90k bodyweight without really training it, so it doesn't seem that unfeasible (I'd have to lift 135 which I probably could do with a bit of work ).

What kills me about the Crossfit workouts is the intensity - a one off 135 deadlift I can handle. Doing ten of the fuckers followed by 9 followed by 8... not so much.

They do recommend scaled down versions of the workouts for most people though, unless you're some kind of top level athlete the workouts will fry you You can find scaled versions on the Brand X martial arts site.

zhao

there are no accidents
time to shape up those beer abs boys summer and all those gorgeous ladies at all nude swimming parties are just around the corner!!!

and to the dissensus women: we love you just the way you are. :D

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
What kills me about the Crossfit workouts is the intensity - a one off 135 deadlift I can handle. Doing ten of the fuckers followed by 9 followed by 8... not so much.

That's what I meant... one of them would be OK with a bit of training, but 10, even for the first set, would be ridiculous. have no idea what my one rep maximum would be, tbh - how do you find out without doing yourself permanent back injury?? :confused:

zhao

there are no accidents
That's what I meant... one of them would be OK with a bit of training, but 10, even for the first set, would be ridiculous. have no idea what my one rep maximum would be, tbh - how do you find out without doing yourself permanent back injury?? :confused:

that's the way to do it though. 10-9-8-so on. because it's when you are already tired and pushing yourself any real work gets done.

i used to do weights super slow as well, count to 18-mississippi one way. that's good because it builds muscle control as well as strength.

also great to do everything sitting on one a them yoga balloon things. builds the muscles in the mid section left and right of abdomin, which is often overlooked in work-out programs.

tom pr

I went back to the gym for the first time in ages today. I'm working at London gyms all week and I get to use them in my two hour lunch break, and it was divine to have loads of time to it and not have it feel like a race or a hassle to fill in other stuff (because God knows i wasn't in a rush to get back to work).

Half hour run, allowed myself a five minute warm up and cool down from it which is the sort of thing i foolishly often skip, then forty/fifty minutes of weights, stretching in the stream room and a long shower to finish. Can't wait to get back there tomorrow - will leave the weights a day obviously but will probs do a massive run and marathon steam room sesh.