Communist music reviews

luka

Is there any way for me and Barty to understand this shit without studying it for 15 years not reading any other books

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's like a film innit. the creator of the written script is an adjunct process to all non-lyric things. the experience and its simulation is part of it. whereas with a novel you have to conceptualise, and most times in solitary isolation.

luka

it's like a film innit. the creator of the written script is an adjunct process to all non-lyric things. the experience and its simulation is part of it. whereas with a novel you have to conceptualise, and most times in solitary isolation.

Marxism is like a film?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't think we're going to get it.its too involved and abstract.

what are you trying to do here? you said no antagonism and we even did a bight size guide for you and now the antagonism is resurfacing.

what does music mean to a christian? a liberal? a conservative? Does it have to serve one specific function?

sadmanbarty

All of the French currents put at center stage a text of Marx which, in the long run, may be more important than all the other new material that started to come to light in the 1950′s and 1960′s: the so-called “Unpublished Sixth Chapter” of Vol. I of Capital.36 It is not known why Marx removed it from the original version of Vol. I. But it is a materialist Phenomenology of Mind. Ten pages suffice to refute the Althusserian claims that Marx forgot Hegel in his “late period”. But the affirmation of the continuity with Hegel’s method is the least of it; the fundamental categories elaborated in the text are the distinctions between absolute and relative surplus value and what Marx calls the “extensive” and “intensive” phases of accumulation, corresponding to the “formal” and “real” domination of capital over labor. These are introduced in a very theoretical way; Marx doesn’t attempt to apply them to history generally. But the French ultra-left started to periodize capitalist history around exactly these distinctions. “Extensive” and “intensive” phases of capitalist history are not unique to Marxists; they have also been used by bourgeois economic historians as descriptive devices. One current summarized the distinction in its essence as “the phase which de-substantiates the worker to leave only the proletarian“.37 In that sentence is the condemnation of the whole Gutman school of the new labor history. The transition to “intensive” accumulation in the 6th chapter, is presented to the “reduction of labor to the most general capitalist form of abstract labor”, the concise definition of the mass production labor process of the 20th century in the advanced capitalist world. The new labor history is one long nostalgia song for the phase of formal domination.

translation for luke:

at first capitalism invents lots of new things to create more goods (factories, new machines, etc.)

eventually it can't do that any more so it just focusses on making people more productive (each person making more goods per day)

during this first stage the bourgeois are just taking your profit (it's a bit complicated to explain, but marxists 'labour theory of value' means that profit is effectively stolen from the person who actually does the work)

during the latter the bourgeois will control everything. your ideas, your reproduction, the lot. very dystopian.

at this point the proletariat will become one collective rather than individual workers.

luka

Sorry I admit I'm getting frustrated. I can't see the link between the huge abstract machinery of the theory and reality.

luka

translation for luke:

at first capitalism invents lots of new things to create more goods (factories, new machines, etc.)

eventually it can't do that any more so it just focusses on making people more productive (each person making more goods per day)

during this first stage the bourgeois are just taking your profit (it's a bit complicated to explain, but marxists 'labour theory of value' means that profit is effectively stolen from the person who actually does the work)

during the latter the bourgeois will control everything. your ideas, your reproduction, the lot. very dystopian.

at this point the proletariat will become one collective rather than individual workers.

Yeah but so what? That's what I'm trying to find out.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
translation for luke:

ok, it seems like im being the cunt here. i meant to quote that passage alongside the one you quoted. the same sort of extensive/intensive dynamic, but this time applied in the factory.

luka

So the point is not really to explain the labour theory of value to me which I understand as well as I ever will, it's more a question of how is this useful to us when we think about music. What does it do? What tools does it give us? Or can we just chuck it in the bin, forget about it, move on?

luka

music that reflects this the end of individual consciousness and the emergence of a singular collective one. everyone becomes a cog in the machine.

That's basically everything isn't it? Bar a goat herder or two in the carapathians singing a lonely lament.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It’s a mistake to appraise Ardkore in terms of individual tracks, because this music only really takes effect as total flow. Its meta-music pulse is closer to electricity than anything else. Ardkore has abandoned the remnants of the verse-chorus structure retained by commercial rave music. At the Castlemorton Common mega-rave in May, MCs chanted “we’ve lost the plot”. Ardcore abolishes narrative: instead of tension/climax/release, it offers a thousand plateaux of crescendo, an endless successions of NOWs. It’s an apocalyptic now, for sure: Ardkore fits only too well the model of terminal culture that Paul Virilio prophesies in The Aesthetics Of Disappearance: “a switch from the extensive time of history to the intensive time of momentariness without history”.

extensive time of history. the blues, rock and roll, soul, something that has a clearly defined communal lineage.

intensive time of momentariness without history: one collective mass process sampling everything and chewing it out with no regards to community or authenticity or lineage. whatever fits, works. it's not a new music really, not in the sense of a new melodic or rhythmic idea. it's new in the mathematical sense. just like the collective proletarian is a new mathematical process but not a new type of old style authentic worker.

luka

That sounds cool third, sorry I get aggravated when I can't understand things but I need every step mapped out. I can't miss bits. I need to know the whole system.