Page 51 of 177 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: rolling back to the future garage/post-dubstep/alt-funkstep/intelli-2step etc thread

Quote Originally Posted by UFO over easy View Post
    yeah that kind of angle feels pretty dated and weird now though. reynolds is quite good on this kind of earnestness but re hynagogic stuff rather than all this - http://www.villagevoice.com/2011-01-...illwave-alone/
    thats a wonderful article. One of my fav things about recent music is the earnestness. My remembrance of interacting with breakcore and shoreditch electroclash (jesus) types from last decade, was how they had to smother everything in a protective gloss of irony. While some of them were surely having honest fun, a lot of the post modern sniggering seemed ultimately spineless. I couldnt help wonder if they were scared of being laughing at, if they dropped the ironic veneer, and wore their hearts on their sleeves. This stuff could never have happened in that climate.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops View Post
    yeah but thats just dubstep as a whole innit (dubstep in its pure state anway) - more introverted, serious, not about exuberance. wobble was the opposite, which is actually one of its better qualities. tho there, its a diff in the exuberance you get from crazy cousins or champion and say, caspa or doctor p. the latter is more lairy, even funky at its darkest has a certain restraint to it.
    To me, though, dubstep's mood of introversion and policy of restraint worked for that genre when it was at its most concentrated, whats interesting about post-dubstep is that you often find stuff which is almost grafting that mood (which certainly exists in other genres - deep house, minimal techno etc.) onto the rhythmic template of a genre which is more defined by, as you say, exuberance.

But then, I suppose a lot of people would say that dubstep emerged out of garage through the cultivation of a more Metalheadz-y mood of suspense/drama onto the fundamentally joyous template of 2-step/garage. Tempting to think of it as a sort of reverse flux/evolution movement. So perhaps people are right about something more unified appearing again in the near future?

Difficult to really say, though, given how wide-ranging the styles are that come under this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by daddek View Post
    I couldnt help wonder if they were scared of being laughing at, if they dropped the ironic veneer, and wore their hearts on their sleeves. This stuff could never have happened in that climate.
    ironizing everything is for cowards.

Quote Originally Posted by pantha View Post
    pearson sound - deep inside refix
    ...kode9 - black sun lp...
    ill blu - meltdown...
    i listened to the kode9 album once so im not really sure about it yet but it seemed a little to heady for me, and i have listened to the ill blu mix for mistajam a few times while running. I guess its kindof ironic that i enjoy more dance orientated music rather than headphone because it not like i ever experience it in a club

Ill Blu can do no wrong, simple as

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Face View Post
    tons of the rising synth shit is down to joy orb imo e.g. sepalcure, damu and others
    I cant speak for Sepalcure but still think that run of hyperdub 12"s rustie/zomby, ikonika, joker/2000F is a stronger influence on damu's sound.
    Last edited by Blackdown; 30-04-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    Keysound, Rinse, blog etc

i think the influence of hyph mngo on these other producers has been overstated at this point.

surely black sun?

juanroberto to thread.

Quote Originally Posted by daddek View Post
    hyph mngo
    hyph mngo is a quite wonderful filtered 90s house record in a 140bpm '00s context. I love it to the bone but what makes it good is also what made 90s french & chicago house fun, that warm rising filtery feeling. so if it changed your life as a producer you probably hadn't been listening to much house in the last 15 years.
    Keysound, Rinse, blog etc

Dunno if this the correct place to post what is essentially spam, but fuck it, I'm well exited for this release........

DISTAL - ANDROID TOURIST E.P 12'' & DIGITAL Release date 23rd May (ELIM009) IN ALL GOOD UNDERGROUND STORES
    A.Android Tourism
    AA. Love a la Venturo
    B. Africa to Mars
    B.B. Novocaine Blonde

High grade funk from the cosmos, channeled via Atlanta resident Distal.
    Distal brings more of his trademark melting-pot aesthetic to his first full EP 12" for Fortified Audio. Squeezing the last 20 years of underground club music through his unique filter for "Android Tourism", fusing together the percussion of classic Carl Craig/ Derrick May, the dark bass and lush melodies of Blue Note era Metalheadz and the tight production of Artwork with the energy and freshness of new hybrid genres ala UK Funky and Footwork. Although Distal's productions are at their best when played through a serious soundsystem, little is lost in the transition to home speaker system or headphones, and the nature of Distal's music make it more than just fodder for the dancehall. Nonetheless, you'll sure-as-shit be hearing this behemoth EP at parties across the globe when it drops this spring. Indeed with a whole heap of 12"s set to drop this year, we are pretty confident Distal is going to be all up in everyones grill by 2012.

http://soundcloud.com/gostwan-fortified/distal-androidtourism-ep-elim009-preview

why is footwork a hybrid genre?

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionfive View Post
    juanroberto to thread.
    glad i've been missed

this tune is doing all sorts of things to me

Quote Originally Posted by wise View Post
    why is footwork a hybrid genre?
    I don't write these press releases, as I'm a shit writer, but you're right, that bit needs re-worded. He uses footwork to create a hybrid.