Corpsey

bandz ahoy
marcus-nasty-rinse.jpg

ill_blu.jpg

Funkystepz.jpg

champion.jpg

crazy_cousinz.jpg

In UK funky, beards tend to be much more neatly trimmed/minimal than in the post-dubstep scene, where beards flourish like possibilities for post-nuum music with generic specificity eradicated.

Simon Reynold's next book should be called ''Energy Tash''

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's that old white-nerd self-hatred.

Like jewish self-hatred, but not quite as good or authentic (obviously).

gumdrops

uk funky has bum fluff and a day or twos growth but dubstep/post dubstep has FORESTS.

the indie thing i was talking about is that a lot of this stuff (prepare for great generalisations) favours a kind of emo-ness over sonic brawn, shyness, a certain tentativeness, its sensitive, kinda withdrawn, self absorbed even, has an apparent braininess, its somewhat self conscious, 'subjective', etc etc. its just criteria you usually associate with indie. obv tho there are lots of exceptions. but this just seems to be the stuff that makes this music different.

FairiesWearBoots

/\ ha! very true,

so basically we need some real road guys, ones who will shank ya mum for a rizla, and their tunes can be played by Oneman, thereby saving the nameless genre from the growing hordes of bearded indie kids:mad:

*calls Joe Cornish for a screenplay

gumdrops

you could argue that its like white producers reclaiming their 'whiteness'. like what ppl say about indie after punk. just with namby pamby indie values rather than rock ones. if any of the producers came out and said something like that, things could get interesting.

Last edited:

meatstixx

totally boring remark over here (a lurker writes) - i am really enjoying the music of this "period" whether it's a "holding pattern" or a "transition" or the changing of the guard or whatever it is. its healthy that people are able to draw instant inspiration from obscure old dance tracks they come across on youtube and throw them into the mix whether electro, trax-style acid or eski. its healthy that the influence of a hyperspeed dancing genre like footwork can throw a spanner in the constraints of 130-this or 140-that. its healthy that each of the camps that blackdown touched on in his article can be interpreted as having a distinctive aesthetic (and that there are way more than just 2 or 3 of them sharing the spotlight so comfortably). we should celebrate the differences and the individuality and not feel uneasy that we can't group things together.

rrrivero

I'm using the James Blake example again, but a lot of his stuff sounds like when Radiohead does electronic/glitchy stuff. Its the sort of flimsy beats that indie kids who turn electronic tend to make. This would all be fine but this stuff gets talked up as dancefloor music, where it just doesn't cut the mustard.
Totally agree with this, it for me is the most bothering aspect about this whole non-movement.

Funny you guys should mention a lack of joyfulness, the main thing that drew me to that Blawan tune (which I don't really consider representative of what usually gets posted here) was that it in fact kept me going / kept me happy whilst I had to work my way through heaps of EU neighbourhood policy paperwork. Maybe all I needed was a shoulder to cry on, ya know

edit: also I was feeling sad and left out when you guys were paying homage to your gargantuan facial manhood, but now I realize I've got a funky beard, and that's okay too

editedit: Eastwood just tweeted "keep your eyes peeled for my free ep thats going up tonight on @dejavufm WWW.DEJAVUFM.COM"

thought I'd make it an early night but now I've got to stay up

Last edited:

Phaedo

All i'm saying is that I have seen Loefah twice fairly recently and to say this kind of stuff doesn't work on a dancefloor really isn't true.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
we should celebrate the differences and the individuality and not feel uneasy that we can't group things together.

Agreed.

The lack of direction and the difficulty in classifying it aren't my problems with it. I just think that a fair bit of this sort of stuff isn't very good.

A lot of it feels very disposable.

There's a substantial amount of great stuff about too, of course. Sometimes it's easier to condemn than praise though.

Edit:

The best stuff I've heard that's come from this sort of area so far this year is -

Actress - Harrier ATTK / Gershwin
Old Apparatus
Zomby - Natalia's Song
Objekt 002
Burial - Street Halo EP
Kode9 & The Spaceape - Black Sun LP
Shackleton - Deadman EP
Bok Bok - Silo Pass
Shackleton - Fireworks EP
Panda Bear - Surfer's Hymn (Actress Remix)
Blawan - Bohla EP
LV - Routes LP
Instra:mental - Thomp / When I Dip
SCB - Loss
Lone - Explorers
Silkie - It's Late

Last edited:

luka

there are two strains i object too. the maudlin, burial being the worst offender and the portentous, see shackleton and others. athoguh i got sick of zomby and rustie after about two tunes i still think their invocation of fun was encouraging and i said so at the time.
corpsey it doesnt make me uncomfortable it makes me very proud. you are vry good at posting on forums too. i think veryone should aspire to being good at posting on forums. craners good, like whn he talkeed about self-loathing wanks over the bathroom sink. that was amazing. i really appreciate the art of posting on forums. swears was quite good too but hes gone now. people dont take enough trouble over little things in life, like the art of posting on forums, or the art of small talk, or the art of funny status updates on facebook but these are the things i have dedicated my life to perfecting. taking a sort of artisanal approach to life as opposed to a posturing artist. to pay attention to detail. a bit of craftsmanship. being able to tell an engaging anecdote. thats a vital life skill. that sort of thing is important to me.

Last edited:

gumdrops

negative reviews

so im listening to bohla for the first time - it sounds just like untold doing wiley! that silkie tune is a nice enough if not really essential ukg revival tune. quite fast. i can kind of see natalias song playing in the credits of an 'edgy' tv series. thinking about this stuff in the same way as normal dance music is prob wrong tho isnt it. ive prob been approaching it the wrong way all this time. i do like that peverelist dance til the police come track though. when the snares kicked in, it reminded me of wookie, in a good way.

this is prob relevant -
http://www.rocksbackpagesblogs.com/2011/04/simon-reynolds-retro-mania/
Interesting that he cites Jaron Lanier’s rhetorical question from YOU ARE NOT A GADGET: “Can you name a track from the last 20 years and say exactly which year it was recorded in?”

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
This drums too thin thing only applies to certain sections of this stuff tho, large parts of it have the opposite problem, d&b compression applied too brutally as to make it loud, level & stiff. Less weird beard more bosh electro bloke house.

Last edited:
I know exactly what type of sound you mean though, that square wave synth & bass noise- over filtered- and the straight generic 4/4. Not a fan.