Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Adam Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    I note that all these comments are endorsing my historic dismissal of Curtis dating back to the ludicrous 'Power of Nighmares' which I eviscerated on an bad-tempered thread back in the day.
    First Fry and now Curtis - any other middlebrow sacred cows you wanna go full "I HATED HIM FIRST!" on?

You're not keen on Will Self either, if memory serves.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I do feel that Curtis' much sniggered at Hypernormalisation seems more relevant and less fanciful now post-Trump... his whole Surkov/Chaos shtick doesn't feel like quite the narrative liberty it was taken to be back in 2016. There, I said it.
    Last edited by you; 30-03-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    First Fry and now Curtis - any other middlebrow sacred cows you wanna go full "I HATED HIM FIRST!" on?

Let's hope not - Will Self is a different class from those two, as much as his novels are bizarrely unreadable. Excellent speaker - clear and usually right, shows contempt towards the right people etc.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 30-03-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Ben Wheatley on Curtis:

Or Adam Curtis. Now thatís scary stuff. The only problem is when he veers into a subject I actually know something about and I think, ĎHang on, woah woah woah, thatís not rightÖí

http://lwlies.com/interviews/ben-wheatley-free-fire/

Apparently he's working on a new series with the working title What Is It That Is Coming?

Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    I do feel that Curtis' much sniggered at Hypernormalisation seems more relevant and less fanciful now post-Trump... his whole Surkov/Chaos shtick doesn't feel like quite the narrative liberty it was taken to be back in 2016. There, I said it.
    cCurtis is great

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post

Craner was actually eviscerated on that thread.

One of craners claims was that the links between Sadam Hussein and al quaeda were "massive, comprehensive incontrovertible"

I quite like Curtis's old BBC blog, I think his ideas are easier to swallow in that less intense, less overwhelming format. Plus the archival footage he dug up was amazing.

he deserves a round of applause for producing the richard billingham film about his family ('fishtank'). total classic right there, another great one to fall asleep to

Quote Originally Posted by rob_giri View Post
    I can appreciate what lanugo is saying here but as has been stated, it really is an argument about the accidental/deterministic nature of both the origins and continuing perpetuation of our current global system of op unsustainable, exploititive economics. I will once again bring the discussion back round to Curtis and state emphatically that the real thrust and purpose of all of his work in the last twenty years has been to suggest that trends of mass disempowerment are as a result of exactly this type of thinking - Lanugo's, I mean.

History is crafted in such a way whereby worldviews such as that of the irresponsible conspiracy-theorist, a tired '60s leftist approach of us-vs-them, as Grizzleb states, are both welcomed and easily festered. It's a disempowering worldview to have because it attempts to create and energize this image of the global elite as all-powered, supremely intelligent and endlessly cunning - whereas in fact, they might just be impaled on their own greed, trapped in their social class, completely subject to economic and social forces, and no more intelligent than anybody. It's as if the system itself has now been cultivated and has now taken on a chaotic and monstrous intelligence of it's own - continual 'enslavement' is assured so long as the belief is upheld that we no longer have any say or any power in the matter. Curtis films, particularly The Trap, The Living Dead and All Watch Over... have this theme and this message as their central tenet.

I enjoyed this interview with Errol Morris that Curtis recently did, in which this exchange occurred:

EM: "Is history primarily a history of conspiracy? Or is it just a series of blunders, one after the other? Confusions, self-deceptions, idiocies of one kind or another? "

AC: "Itís the latter. Where people do set out to have conspiracies, they donít ever end up like they're supposed to. History is a series of unintended consequences resulting from confused actions, some of which are committed by people who may think they're taking part in a conspiracy, but it never works out the way they intended."

Curtis' other triumph is the way that he curtails the dull Leftist approach of endlessly demonizing the Right, the seperationist attitude that perpetuates a Christian image of 'evil'. There certainly are bad people, as IdleRich states, but perhaps mostly it's just a case of ingnorance and sometimes even well-meaning self-delusion that has created the situation we are in now. That doesn't mean we shouldn't submit and forget the Bastards, but only doing so with a realistic and holistically-understanding attitude will get anywhere, surely. If you want to defeat the Right, you have to understand them and where they are coming from, etc.
    Nice thread
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule