Adam Curtis

luka

This is it. But you know noone, including me clicked the link and read the interview, just like noone checked the podcast interview I posted a page or two back. There's something about the intimidation posed by someone actually trying to do something. Almost like it rubs our sense of powerlessness in our faces. The instinct is to knock it. To take the piss. Also, We've had our fingers burned far too many times by those offering a solution. All of which eventually leads to stalemate.
i actually did read that interview. i was really bored.

catalog

Switching subjects a bit, has anyone read David graeber? Any good? I've heard his name come up loads in various places, I'm sure here as well.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A strange and brilliant That's Life researcher with a Skinny Puppy cd Edit: I know you've all seen it before but it follows from the above

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Not bad after 2 episodes, pivoting on 1968. Lot of Aphex. He has a way with depicting faces out of old news and documentary stock footage, completely out of time, often looking into camera focusing directly or crowd scenes that punch at your empathy

So often you're looking at ghosts, as baffled as every human is (apart from the Covid cognoscenti). Not many generations have seen so many random faces caught in time, unknowable yet immediately strange and familiar. Britain looks grim as fuck

1 at a time or the Curtisian voice and style mesh starts to droop

Yes, its a satisfying blend of conjecture, conspiracy, entertainment to good music and nice pics a nice dance of references to pick up. good at conveying a sense of us being unmoored and clueless. and can def give you some interesting people to look further into

but it doesnt join up does it? i dont come away feeling ive understood more about anything, and this is def somewhat intentional, that it questions ideology and coherent explanations of history. but its all about people and ideas, technology too, the material conditions arent considered in depth ar they? this might be down to the fact hes forced to look at everything through the lens of news media and how it glamourises even suffering, how its running scripts and cant help simplifying the world into heroes and villains. in this way its kind of like a not very funny brass eye drawing elegant curves through history

I think ill go back and give the first one another go, but last night i juts felt like i could be watching any of his stuff, i couldnt parse it, or maybe i felt like the message had been received and hed nothing more to say

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I listened to that blindboy interview. I find him a bit annoying, his voice and (ironically, given what he's arguing) his certitude. Despite what he says about John Pilger he does come across as hectoring.

However, I do think what he says about everybody feeling anxious and totally confused by the world, about the sense of a coherent narrative shattering (with conspiracy theories rushing in to fill the vacuum) is OTM. It's what we're constantly struggling with on here, I think - trying to come up with ways to understand the world.

It also makes me wonder about my own personal/private anxiety and alienation. I tend to think of myself as basically cut off from the world (I don't read the news, I'm a fucking ignoramus in fact) so it's intriguing to think that what I think of as my private sense of anxiety and nihilism and even my alienation might be the product of the society/times i live in as much as anything.

I listened to that blindboy interview. I find him a bit annoying, his voice and (ironically, given what he's arguing) his certitude. Despite what he says about John Pilger he does come across as hectoring.
hes a posh english twat he cant help it. you know what more annoying though? the blindboy voice

However, I do think what he says about everybody feeling anxious and totally confused by the world, about the sense of a coherent narrative shattering (with conspiracy theories rushing in to fill the vacuum) is OTM. It's what we're constantly struggling with on here, I think - trying to come up with ways to understand the world.

the postmodern condition bro
It also makes me wonder about my own personal/private anxiety and alienation. I tend to think of myself as basically cut off from the world (I don't read the news, I'm a fucking ignoramus in fact) so it's intriguing to think that what I think of as my private sense of anxiety and nihilism and even my alienation might be the product of the society/times i live in as much as anything.
capitalist realism bro

wild greens

Curtis's ability to find new people who have apparently shaped the course of history but he hasn't mentioned in 25+ hours of this shite before is quite impressive

Nonetheless he's got a good eye for stock footage so will watch the lot eventually.

This one feels a lot sleepier than usual

Last edited:

luka

The idealism of the technique is what we saw with the secret and can be simply expressed in the formula:

(focussed)desire+thought+emotion=production of personal reality.

All structural explanations for experience, whether they are biological, embodied, economic, political or historical, are erased. Materiality disappears into a cloud of psycho-marketing strategy. With magical voluntarism we see a deep confluence between positive psychology, psychotherapy and advertising. This confluence is hardly surprising as these three facets have always been entwined. Smail’s work in The Origins of Unhappiness also point to all this being an intentional strategy first deployed during Thatcher’s demolition of working class communities and organisation. Summarising the argument in that book in an interview with the author of The Therapy Industry, Paul Moloney

Quote:
Margaret Thatcher was a big influence as well. In one sense, she was just about the best psychologist that I’ve ever come across, because she knew better than anybody, (or the influences she stood for knew better than anybody) what changes people, and how to bring people into line and that’s by affecting their interests and threatening them, inducing them through paying them lots of money and so on. It became very evident after 1979 that the people who came to see me didn’t have much room for manoeuvre, no matter how much will power they applied to the circumstances that they found themselves in, and usually because of some nasty, punitive measure that the Tory government had taken. These people blamed themselves, and they struggled to think ‘ what is it about me…. my personal strategies and so on that are not working …why am I so inadequate in these circumstances…?’ and it was perfectly obvious to me that they were not inadequate; it was the circumstances that were the problem.

This work is continued by through ConDem government’s Behavioural Insights Team, or nudge unit, and by the continued spread of psychotherapeutic and behavioural interventions beyond the consultation room. Just as psychiatry autonomised itself from the Asylum following deinstitutionalisation, so to has psychotherapy come to spread itself throughout the social fabric. The most popular form of magical voluntarism today is CBT but motivational interviewing and mindfulness have also metastasized through the body of the social. One of the leading figures of the positive psychology movement, Martin Seligman, has had a profoundly influential role in disseminating the idea that we can train ourselves to be happy through changing our thoughts:

Quote:
Depression is a disorder of the ‘I,’ failing in your own eyes relative to your goals. In a society in which individualism is becoming rampant, people more and more believe that they are the center of the world. Such a belief system makes individual failure almost inconsolable 2.

woops

is not like other people
Has this only just occurred to you @Corpsey? not to sound patronising but what i think you should do is pack in your job tomorrow -now - and get fucked up for about 6 months, whiskey first thing, and then start writing a novel. get in touch with that dimension of life