...:::::...::Real Hip-Hop:::...::.... 2015

luka

Speaking of Drill, I'm then going to listen to ''Bang 3'' by Keef and I expect an essay about it by Luka and Crowley by the time I'm finished

Sorry feeling emotion today listening to the blue nile

CrowleyHead

Its ok, a let down after Back From The Dead 2, really picks up in the last few records, as "Green Light" sounds like YMO or something, its just fantastic.

Right now Keef's not making great music but his life is becoming the 'interesting' thing, so hey.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Production on this Travis porter tape is so good. Never heard of Mr 217 before. Is he a Zaytoven disciple?

Pandiculate

Production on this Travis porter tape is so good. Never heard of Mr 217 before. Is he a Zaytoven disciple?

He's pretty good, he raps as well but I'd say Production is his strong point:

Seems to like creating dances, not sure who he's associated with

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Bankroll Fresh feat Travis Porter and Boochie - Walked In

One of the best beats I've heard this year and it's three casio piano notes with some 808s and drums. POWERFUL.

Last edited:

Pandiculate

One of the best beats I've heard this year and it's three casio piano notes with some 808s and drums. POWERFUL.

It's a great chorus as well, find myself singing it all the time.

This is another minimal banger I've been bumping lately:

And a sutable replacement for Bobby Shmurda? He's got the dance ready.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've been fucking with that Kyrie Irving song since I've heard it, if you'll excuse my mock yank slang. I was actually wondering if 217 produced that cos its got that ultra minimal sound.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Maceo - Take A Charge

These 217 beats remind me of Zaytoven in this mode (see also Gucci Mane - The Truth)

Pandiculate

I've been fucking with that Kyrie Irving song since I've heard it, if you'll excuse my mock yank slang. I was actually wondering if 217 produced that cos its got that ultra minimal sound.

yeah I know what you mean, come to think of it I reckon I got it off your blog!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Been listening to Mick Jenkins new EP 'Wave' for The Wire column and I quite like it; however, this has prompted me to get around to listening to his 'The Water' from last summer, which I really like. It's one of the few 'conscious' rap projects I've heard in recent years that I find really compelling. (Really rated Oddisee's 'The Good Fight' from earlier in the year, other than that there's obviously Kendrick's ''Good Kid...''.) Much, much prefer him to Chicago's other conscious rap icon Chance The Rapper.* (Need to listen to Vic Mensa's album A.S.A.P. to be fair.)

A random selection:

Mick Jenkins - Jazz (2014)

Wondering now if I should check out J Cole and Lupe Fiasco - if so, what would people recommend by both artists?

Saying all this, the best thing I've heard this month BY FAR is the Travis Porter mixtape, which is 100% ignorance. Also, I think 2-Chainz's new mixtape 'Trapavelli Tre' is pretty great!

2 Chainz - Everything I Know (2015)

Oh, and finally, the Warren G episode of Combat Jack is fantastic and his new E.P. 'Regulate: The G Funk Era Pt. 2' is very enjoyable, featuring presumably some of Nate Dogg's last ever appearances on record.

Warren G feat. Nate Dogg - Dead Wrong (2015)

* Proviso being that I find Lil B and Chance's mixtape quite a lot of fun, even though it's necessarily unpolished and self-indulgent.

luka

New Rick Ross sounding so expensive
If only gunplay got to lounge about in such plush interiors