...:::::...::Real Hip-Hop:::...::.... 2015

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Wondering if we're close to the stage of crowdfunding fan wish fulfilment projects eg crowdfund gunplay Album with beats from X,y,z
Crowdfund nasty nas X premier album 20 years too late

Interesting idea, but is a lack of money what's stopped Nas and Premier making an album?

I suppose if you crowdfunded something you'd have a degree of creative control over what they did.

luka

No its not lack of money and they're both too successful for that to be anything but a thought experiment

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Haven't Public Enemy been crowdfunded for a while now? Surely the question is shouldn't we have a pension fund for all these boring fucks so we all just put in 10 quid a year so they'll all forever fuck off.

luka

Crowdfunding is normal de la are doing it too. I'm just suggesting a scenario where the fans decide on a,project they want to fund and take it to the artist rather than vice versa

rubberdingyrapids

i wonder if it changes the actual music when the fans have paid for it to be made, not for what has already been made. its a bit bespoke isnt it? seems weird. also wonder why i should have to pay for it. im sure these guys have more money than me (see those spike lee and zach braff film projects). on the other hand, i would pay for a de la and prince paul album. or an EP at least.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
1000% OFFICIAL NAS/PREMIER TOP 6

1. I Gave You Power
2. Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park)
3. Second Childhood
4. Represent
5. NY State of Mind
6. Nas Is Like

rubberdingyrapids

i gave you power loses its, er, power when you hear organised konfusion's stray bullet.

id put it like -
1. Second Childhood
2. Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park)
3. NY State of Mind
4. Represent
5. I Gave You Power
6. Nas Is Like

CrowleyHead

Premier got to do a production for Christina Aguilera so now he charges obscene amounts of money in advance for albums. Honestly if you tried to crowdfund a Nas & Premier album, they'd be the type of idiots who'd ask for 2 million $ upfront.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was browsing the Neptunes discography last night and your point re Premier returned to me because at a certain point they started working with people like Katy Perry and I wondered if they also priced themselves out of working with anyone but the richest artists.

Obviously they were working with big artists for a lot of money from early on but I thought that was interesting.

CrowleyHead

premier still produces a bit for artists like MOP or people he just likes so im sure he doesnt bill everyone for the same amount.

I personally know he billed someone FROM the Gang Starr foundation in the six figure range for an advance on producing for his longtime friend for a whole album. I guess he recognizes his value in a declining market, but there was NO WAY that album would get in the black from that starting point, he must've known or didn't care.

Mind you you can get Diamond D beats for a shoe, its goddamned absurd.

rubberdingyrapids

i just cant imagine him charging MOP 6 figures for exec producing that last EP/album thing they put out (which was quite good as it happens), but who knows.

CrowleyHead

I was browsing the Neptunes discography last night and your point re Premier returned to me because at a certain point they started working with people like Katy Perry and I wondered if they also priced themselves out of working with anyone but the richest artists.

Obviously they were working with big artists for a lot of money from early on but I thought that was interesting.

Well back to what I was talking about in regards to Premier, their market value is dependent on their continuous success. Look at Philly's Most Wanted, that album is wall to wall Neptunes production and its a rap fan classic but it sold fuck all right? When a label sees you do that, they get apprehensive, like "Think of all these records you could have given JANET or BRITNEY or JUSTIN".

Actually its been discussed but a lot of The Neptunes work for Timberlake were rejected submissions for Michael Jackson. I have always humored the notion that Pharrell was probably incensed and was like "OH WORD!?!?! WORD!?!?!? WE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!?!?!?..... YO CHAD, CALL UP THE WHITE BOY. WE GON SHOW THIS MOTHERFUCKER."

So now at their point in their career, it doesn't suit them to work with just anyone because then why would they be allowed to do what they do? Pharrell's last album is a clear extension of the accidental hit in "Happy", "Happy" was just meant to be a closing theme for a movie franchise, and instead it revitalized the perception of him as a solo artist. Remember how long the industry balked on "In My Mind" because the singles he sent out for that wouldn't blow? And honestly I do believe "In My Mind" would've been a great album to hear; but the industry wanted to ensure those songs could either be hits or nothing. This was a decade ago when the industry seemed like it would die any minute, and everyone was in a panic, trying to give away free albums and all kinds of wild maneuvers. Now everything's codified and stable-ish again, because they starved out a lot of the various music piracy breakdowns and adapted.

And of course, that's where Pharrell is right now. He is at the victim of an ailing industry... Not dying, but rather like an addict that can no longer support its former lifestyle and has to beg and scrap for every detail. The streaming wars going on right now between Apple, Tidal & Spotify are perfect examples, especially when musicians are transitioning into content providers to achieve celebrity. So Pharrell can't make decisions of artistic liberty because his main source of income is to serve others and try to support artists, its what he's used to as being a rap producer who now has transitioned into being a general producer for pop. His lifestyle is built on working with and improving others, he can't just make a break from the industry and go rogue a la Prince, he was never that guy. But even someone like Prince always comes slowly back to the business that got them where they are, because they can't sustain the position in the world without it. Even outside of pop/rap/R&B, look at Radiohead. They came back to the majors.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is all interesting (you've been killing it with the posts lately Crowley btw) ^^^

I would assume somebody like Pharrell, while belonging to an ailing industry, has got enough money to not worry about commercial considerations but a) this could be wrong and b) I guess if you know you can get paid 100,000 dollars for working with Justin Bieber, say, and the other option is getting nothing for working with Joe Schmo (even if they're talented), you're going to go with the 100,000 dollars, especially if there's no guarantee that Joe Schmo's song will be heard by anyone. Maybe that's the point you're making, too.

The greatest tragedy of recent Pharrell history is him giving ''Presidential'' beat and hook to Rick Ross on Laze-E-Boy full recline mode. Although he re-used those doo wop ''Ba-dahp''s on ''Alright'' by Kendrick so...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Chic Raw outdoes Meek Mill at ethering Drake

Doesn't talk about ghostwriting or anything but goes in hard.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
tumblr_lnj2koO7lA1qf7sx0o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mrvzmxR3rs1srw3jjo1_500.jpg

More photos needed in this thread? Young Thug's dress sense, e.g., should be documented somewhere.

I haven't got Apple music so I'm waiting for the Dre album. I'm filling the time by listening to Curren$y's new mixtape Cathedral produced by Chase & Cash. Not bad either.

''Cathedrill'' would be a good name for a King Louie tape entirely dedicated to proclaiming himself God. (Speaking of which, since Louie was rumoured to be signed to OVO, are we going to hear Drake spitting like him on ''Views From The 6''? NO DRAKE BAN APPLIES IN THIS THREAD, Y'ALL!)

Speaking of Drill, I'm then going to listen to ''Bang 3'' by Keef and I expect an essay about it by Luka and Crowley by the time I'm finished.

Last edited: