firefinga

Beyonce is first and foremost self-important. She's the perfect embodyment of the crappy "me me me" culture of overbloated egos of today. so yeah, I guess that makes her "important" on a bigger scale.

luka

Kanye is conservative, backwards looking, nostalgic. Fell back from the forward positions won by the generation before. Him and just blaze. So he cant win. Wiley obviously.

sadmanbarty

Grime is the best music from this period, so I can understand picking the most influential or the best grime artists. My only qualm with that would be that grime had a short creative lifespan and didn't really evolve beyond the mid-2000's.

In terms of influence T Pain popularised autotune. The novel use of autotune has lead to some of the most paradigm shifty music of the last 17 years; late-00's dancehall, afrobeats, chicago bop and the post-Future wave of Atlanta rap. But while T Pain's been influential I don't think his music can be said to be the best.

I'd personally pick Kartel. He's made lots of music, it's diverse (novelty songs, daseca war tunes, melodramatic ballads, alien autotune tracks, virtuoso word bombardment), he's got tons of choons under his belt and has done some of the most interesting things with autotune.

I'll put Young thug in 2nd place for similar reasons; diversity, choons, paradigm shift, lots of music.

CrowleyHead

Kanye is conservative, backwards looking, nostalgic. Fell back from the forward positions won by the generation before. Him and just blaze. So he cant win.

You'd say that about the first 2, 2.5 albums for certain but I think those are shit anyway. Did you engage with the last two albums in particular?

luka

No. I managed to avoid them completely. Im 37. I'm not obliged to listen to new kanye albums.
I know MBDTF or whatever it was called is supposed to be influential.

CrowleyHead

No. I managed to avoid them completely. Im 37. I'm not obliged to listen to new kanye albums.
I know MBDTF or whatever it was called is supposed to be influential.

Its inspired a lot of songs that sound like movie trailers and some boring rock bands.

I think your takes on Yeezus and The Life of Pablo would be fascinating tbh.

luka

Ugh you're bullying me into listening... Tell me your take first and i'll youtube as soon as I've got time

CrowleyHead

Long story short, albums based around the concept of fear of Black Vulgarity in America. TLOP also has a lot of themes of failure in becoming an adult, family, paranoia, God. He stopped being inherently autobiographical and thinking like a director of musicals and now he's a conceptual artist, and it works because he so effectively isolates everyone who used to like him.

Its basically a fully-fleshed version of Puffy's solo concepts that Puffy was too limited to achieve in the 90s due to an inability to distort his influences.

rubberdingyrapids

nothing nostalgic about kanyes last two albums.
in fact, since and including graduation, id say the nostalgic, 90s-holdover allegations dont hold.

i stopped listening to vybz kartel a long time ago but im going to reinvestigate.

love young thug but cant really listen to anything of his since 1017 thug in any sustained sort of listening.

also important: the xx. burial. skream.

luka

I've not heard of that. The other night I used up 80% of my data for the month in one go so I have to ban myself from YouTube now for the next 25 days or so otherwise I'd look it up.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Then again, feeling nothingness or emptiness is a kind of affect. Not an absence of affect. There is something in emptiness, which incidentally is what a 21st century artist should strive to capture and convey.

Unrelated note, where tf am I going to get my drugs with Dream Market sailing off into the dark web horizon? Real people? 😝

luka

Then again, feeling nothingness or emptiness is a kind of affect. Not an absence of affect. There is something in emptiness, which incidentally is what a 21st century artist should strive to capture and convey.

Unrelated note, where tf am I going to get my drugs with Dream Market sailing off into the dark web horizon? Real people? 😝

I'm with you. I was trying to talk about exactly that as a feature of Internet music a while back but no one cared.

luka

As for drugs I'm superstitious so when a line dries up I dont go chasing I take it as a sign that I'm due a break. Sometimes I will go a year without. Then when they reappear I gobble them all up.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
I'm with you. I was trying to talk about exactly that as a feature of Internet music a while back but no one cared.

Man I had a Dematerialization Google Doc going, just outlining various topics I thought had relevancy. So I cared, I was just you know fighting bouts of schizoaffective depression and couldn't keep up with the 60-80 page discussion. I could pull it up again but I remember one topic was about Uncanny Valley people in real life, ie people in real life who have an aura, constructed or not, of irreality about them. Ukrainian Human Barbie and Donald Trump being the prime examples.

luka

Man I had a Dematerialization Google Doc going, just outlining various topics I thought had relevancy. So I cared, I was just you know fighting bouts of schizoaffective depression and couldn't keep up with the 60-80 page discussion. I could pull it up again but I remember one topic was about Uncanny Valley people in real life, ie people in real life who have an aura, constructed or not, of irreality about them. Ukrainian Human Barbie and Donald Trump being the prime examples.

I woke up this morning thinking about going back to that thread an pulling out the different ideas cos I've forgotten half of it myself. As I'm sure you know this stuff comes in waves or tides and you don't necessarily keep it all as a possession once the wave recedes.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Back to the thread topic, I know this is the music forum but, since he releases albums and that's close enough for me, I'm going with Louis CK. We're talking artists who embody the 2000's, right? His brand of horror comedy slash crowd reading slash crowd control while successfully hiding behind a constructed liberal, depressive, family man identity just trying to keep it together while joking about raping babies and getting away with it is pure 2000's. Too bad about that terrible scandal. Getting permission from women to jerk off in front of them, then jerking off in front of them. What a fucking monster LMAO. Jesus the alarm went off and it's time to get woke Louis CK.

Last edited: