sadmanbarty

k - drummerman barty

just skimming through this cos it's quite long.

sounds very lathargic. very lazy. sounds like what people who don't like dope smokers think dope smokers are. it's those snares. no matter how many fills are going on in the background that main plodding beat is sludge. it pulls my head down. tiring and tired.

gets going a bit more when the shakers kick in. it's more funky. not having that defeated feeling.

there's that funky drummer-esque bit later on. quite smooth and satisfying for a tiny bit. like them 'oddly satisfying' videos on youtube. but it gets old quickly. that constant resolution on the two and four.

forclosure

oi webeschatology, when we went chinese i think you said you didn't like migos. do this one

I dont dislike em im just not a a big fan and find their strenghts are kinda limited, theyre better together than solo as they bounce of each other when theyre by themselves their flaws are all on display.

I mean this tracks alright i feel like ive heard this kinda flute beat on a few different Atlanta rappers mixtapes,sounds like the kinda thing Hoodrich Pablo Juan would rap over(theres a track him and Quavo did together that i like)

The songs that i do like from them tend to be their more upbeat tracks (Freak no more,chinatown,Bando isnt bad,Fight Night wasnt bad as like a DJ Mustard rip off thing)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i am busy now will get back to this thread tomorrow.

maybe even next week. got too many books to read. need to be prepared for the rupture.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
main plodding beat is sludge
hmm that's interesting

I guess it's most famous as a breaks record for DJs but personally to me it's like Liebezeit or Dinger or Allen motorik, endless forward propulsion

not as tight certainly, idk about sludge

of course I also like sludge. you guys are probably more strictly into crispness.

padraig (u.s.)

im scared of that record cover like you'd be scared of a haunted porcelain doll in a creepy old toy shop
omg man up and click it

he's a sui generis Japanese rock weirdo, outre even by the expansive standards of outre Japanese rock

the look is I imagine a glam/Bowie thing (record came out in iirc 73) but it's not in the music at all

try it

padraig (u.s.)

it's kind of fey-whimsical but there's something very luka hiding in it too

some kind of protean thing, id but sweetly expressed

padraig (u.s.)

its funny cos i'd heard of the flynt thing and in my head it was supposed to be drone chill out music for stoners
just saw this

i mean idk just for stoners but yeah it's serious drone music

not drugs music but music that works with drugs certainly

tho I think he's more trying to get to that state naturally - a secular religious bliss

Yoshi Wada another good name in this vein

padraig (u.s.)

you guys really have some bewildering (to me) or at least unexpected reactions

I suppose that's a strong point of the game

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
hmm that's interesting

I guess it's most famous as a breaks record for DJs but personally to me it's like Liebezeit or Dinger or Allen motorik, endless forward propulsion

not as tight certainly, idk about sludge

of course I also like sludge. you guys are probably more strictly into crispness.

it's also not a great track to skim through. it pays to follow the evolution. played it at a couple of parties and it always got people moving.

gonna write as i listen. minimal filter.

big fan of don cherry and the holy mountain. i'll try my best to leave value judgements out.

from the first strums of the harp we know where we're headed. we're being swept up and blown like a spring breeze through the long grasses of life. we've just come out of winter. weary, not down. hope on the horizon. a land of plenty, it's colorful bounty spreads out in front of us. the energies are rising. the sun's shining brighter, but we don't forget where we just came from. the chant reminds us of the ancients and all they had to go through to survive. the flute lifting us up, playing the role of the spirit pushing on through. indefeatable exuberance. juxtaposition of dark and light. then around 5:30 we're brought back down to the ground by the asymmetric piano riff, letting us know not to get too carried away, but maintain playfulness at the same time. these types of music carry wisdom and hold a timeless quality that evokes a strange sense of familiarity. something you can't quite put your finger on. and we can't really put it into a category as clear as jazz. it's closer to 4th world if anything. music that feels like it holds the contents of an ancient library. those intervals say more than a million words. but i guess that's only if your ears are open to it. cosmic jazz is probably my favourite music of all.

a tougher call. kind feel like padraig with this one. but hey, someone's gettin' they fuck on! can't ignore those biceps. jay better be qualified. the beat a classic late 90s rnb chug. nice touches on the synth bass giving us some cheeky angles to grind to. the vocal fry groans luring you in to her butter smeared spider's web. she's soaking, willing and wearing very little. the thing that gets me about these type of productions is all the details tucked into the background; the jazzy piano licks, the occasional double-stroke hi hats, the soft synth leads, the vocal doubling. all weaving themselves in and out of the heavy, slow breathing of the bass and drums, like some horny giant being tickled by a gang of ghetto nymphs. it all evokes exactly what it's supposed to. framing the lyrics with even more seductive textures. not bad, jamie foxx.

the screen is black. a synth gurgles an ominous arp, we're moving toward the invisible horizon. faint sillhouettes emerge and fade. the beat kicks in. a rise of key, maybe things aren't going to be so dark after all? another exuberant flute assures us that actually, everything is going to be rather nice. some more reassurance from the rhodes and all of a sudden we're nestled in a cosmic box of cadbury's assortments. bagsy the toffees. feels more library than actual tune. has to have been sampled? oh shit, here's a voice. the kind of shit only europeans bother to make. pastoral, twee, "lovely". could have done without the vox. but then it would just be library. this type of rare groove or whatever it is is cool for a minute but wears at the patience in the end. like lot's of interesting elements but the sum of the parts is kind of forgettable. plus joakim can fuck off.

green velvet, bigg jus and pandit praan nath mentioned in the same thread :love: u dissensus.

Last edited:

luka

very good work pattycakes. what i found last night is that, apart from pattycakes late entry, there was a tailing off in the quality of response.

part of this is the personal, which necessarily intrudes here-
what we think of and how we feel about the person proffering the song for instance-
our preconceptions of them and so on.

part of it is just tiredness. to open ourselves up is difficult and demanding, particularly to open ourselves to an experience we don't find immediately rewarding.

so this game is probably best in small doses. more than one song in an evening would be too much usually, unless on drugs, with the top of your head gone and the light just flooding in.

luka

padraig should have got past his initial response to lick my nuts lick my nuts
should have peeled back that filmy layer to find what lay underneath
but he couldn't- the election was on, it's a terrible time in america, he couldnt give it his attention. it became a symbol and a focus for his disgust and despair. that's not his fault. it's unavoidable. wrong time to play the game.
and likewise i should have examined my response to flynt, to that initial recoil from the sawing, grating, grinding, attack, that great wall of painful, irritating noise,
peeled that back and seen what it was comprised of, and what lay beneath.
but i had other things on my mind. im doing my first bit of teaching today. i was tired and distracted and didn't want to engage with something which i found painful.

all in all
a huge amount of lazy listening last night.

Last edited:

luka

part of what we are doing is learning how provisional our perspectives are and learning to change our vantage point to reveal a new angle on THE FACT.
pivot in the act of listening. see another plane of the
multifaceted crystal.

sadmanbarty

i agree there were too many to do last night, best to limit it to a couple a day.

pattycakes, do the honours please: