Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Cultural Cowardice

i thought this was an advance at the time

to hear that big room bass with these lyrics, capering beat, coming from where it comes from, felt new to me.

"it was all going good 'til the rave end"

and then more recently, a 2-step track from him
    cultural bravery in the 5000 miles west of London context

off the top of my head i'm thinking that the examples of cultural cowardice we're using all have occurred when the music is embraced by a different subculture than the one that originated it.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    don't give up though please
    alright alright

my psychic resources are limited rn so idk how many of these deep dives I'll do with you guys

but I thought about it and it probably is worth the effort, generally speaking

@luka - all that mystical snake oil salesman etc is half-joking (i.e. "banter" but also how you seem to carry it? reflecting I can see how it would seem hurtful or like an attack if it was all just on the level, so no shots.

@crybabies tag - big look

I do think I'm gonna bow out of this particular thread after I respond to one more blissblogger comment tho, just cos "cowardice" and "bravery" seem like such fundamentally inaccurate terms of conception that they make discussion almost impossible

5. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    i don't know if it's a zero sum game though
    well ya there is a valid danger of confusing cultural and actual capital, and resultant power

we're not talking about damage or success, either - we're talking retreat or embrace

and it's not supposed to be taken as a literal binary - we're talking about levels of engagement, disengagement (retreat)

to cite your example - I would say Blondie was closer to being organically (nb: not same as authentically) involved with disco + thru into post-disco than say the Bee Gees but ultimately it doesn't really matter

Heart of Glass is fine btw but the Blondie opus is the 12" mix of Rapture

generally a wonderful moment in post-disco melting pot kitchen sink - speaking of maximalism - wot do u call it club music

Debbie Harry ultimate queen of sprezzatura (one assumes Kim Gordon was taking notes)

not hurtful. but i do take attempts to box me in as an attack on some level. not in a crybaby way
    but as something i have to fight off to protect my freedom of movement.

i think if you find the terms cowardice/courage to be unhelpful, and i agree they are provocative, you can recast them. we're not stuck with them.

it's not just the terms themselves, it's putting the conversation in those terms conceptually

I do think embrace/retreat is a better - or less value judgment, at least - formation

but still it's kind of reactionary way of viewing developments, I'm thinking

(pretty sure crybabies was directed me, btw, or at least that was my assumption)

the psychedelic avant-garde is more my kinda trip anyway