thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's quite class bound that isn't it. All middle class liberals eat spicy food. It's an ideological commitment to a fuzzy multiculturalism. Eat a curry.

I totally agree. I've never gotten Jenny to eat raw meat kofta though. one of the only good spicey foods. and sheeps head soup.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
See! It was No. 50.

The Rolling Stones, 'Shine a Light'

Complicated topic.

It’s interesting that Keith Richards is venerated these days as the authentic heart of the Stones, the grizzled blues veteran in the mold of his Delta heros, while Mick Jagger is ridiculed and belittled as the pantomime dame, the poseur, the shagger, the glorified tour manager obsessed with milking profit from deadly mega tours (and shagging). Yeah, right! What, are we supposed to see this all through Keith’s eyes? Are we that weak-minded and craven? What are we, Johnny Depp?

Apart from also being interested in money, Keith is as much of a poseur as Mick, in fact more so because it takes way more work and attention to detail to maintain an image of authenticity in the way that he does. It is worth pointing out that most, if not all, of the bad bits in Stones songs are caused by Mick (although I wouldn’t absolve Ronnie Wood of all blame on that score); but then again, in a perverse way, some of their greatest strengths are also down to Jagger. Ridiculous and venal as he is, he is also a great energizer, a lodestar.

He’s also a fucking funny counterpoint to Keith’s worst Rock and Roll hard man affectations. When punk came along, Keith was temporarily affronted and scared shit-less by the challenge to his credibility, while Mick just sort of shrugged it off, all part of the exciting milieu that formed the backdrop to his international shagging quest: “New York and London, too. Paris—there was punk there. Lots of dance music. Paris and New York had all this Latin dance music, which was really quite wonderful. Much more interesting than the stuff that came afterward.” It was kind of hilarious, too, when Mick tried to make the Stones go disco, to Keith's slow-burning fury (he still talks about it!). Then again, have you tried listening to Some Girls lately? It’s shit.

Anyway, this doesn’t matter to most sensible people who couldn’t give a fuck about Mick or Keith. That would include me, except for Exile on Main Street. I love this album. I am a bit obsessed with this album, actually. It helps that Mick was semi-detached from it, as he was too busy chasing Blanca Pérez-Mora Macías all around St Tropez and Cannes, leaving Keith alone to create his magnum opus. It also helps that Mick’s vocals are mixed down, finding a natural center within this awesome extended band of gospel singers, Bobby Keys, Jimmy Miller etc. Mick Taylor is at the peak of his powers. It sounds like a different band to the pantomime horse of later years, the Stones where Mick seems to loom out like a gargoyle or smear himself across the songs like glue.

This thing that Keith made is like the thing that Lindsey Buckingham made when left to his own devices: like Tusk, Exile is greater than the sum of its parts, a weird rattle bag of odd bits among pieces of great beauty. Luke thinks this is all stale beer and fags, but it’s actually fine wines, expensive drugs, free hookers, and antique art in French villas. It’s big, thrilling, murky, elegant and decadent. What an album!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm not plugged into any social networks here or anywhere really. I don't mind recreational drug use and foreign holidays, but I draw the line at Soul Jazz compilations and reggae.

Hold ur horses, I heard through the gossipp vine that they are planning to curate a deep tech compillation soon. would be a very bad lawyer if you fell into luke's calculated and coordinated trap now wouldn't it?

craner

Beast of Burden

Janet Jackson, 'Come Give Your Love To Me'

I first heard this on a great late night disco show back in 2001 which played one disco banger after another (Absolute or Heart? Can't recall...) but this stood out because it sounded so weird and out of place. I had to track it down immediately and, as ever with these things, it was the only good song on the album, but at least it had good cover art. What is this? Granted, it is marred by an ugly guitar solo, but otherwise the sounds on it are so strange, sketchy and spectral, it sounds like a Kevin Shields remix or something.

Janet has an incredible discography and was instrumental in the work of Jam & Lewis, of course. I like Janet. Maybe I don't love her, but I like her a lot. I love this track though.

craner

Beast of Burden

Loose Joints, 'Is It All Over My Face'

More filth, I'm afraid.

I'm ambivalent about the whole Disco Not Disco thing. I like all the tracks that get lumped in, but I'd loved proper disco since I was 14 and watched Saturday Night Fever on Channel 4. I didn't need the trendy gateway drug, or avant-garde permission; it seemed slightly insulting and presumptuous. You cannot escape how wicked this track is, though. Top Crazy Legs material. Ignore the Gate Keepers, be a Key Master.

Why, for example, is No 93 not Disco Not Disco? Wankers.

luka

There's a rumour going round that Matthew locked this thread cos he was concerned it would steal the thunder of his own lauded connesueirs selection. Deliberate sabotage. Not saying I believe it, just reporting the word on the street

luka

Doesn't help that craners stated intention was to 'obliterate the memory' of Matthews carefully curated, rightfully famed 100