luka

Sorry, it's exciting. I'm getting caught up in the moment. Not wanting to steal the spotlight from you corpse. What's next?

sadmanbarty

This is so good that for years I thought it was peak Jam & Lewis but they had nothing to do with it.

I played this in the car driving Jim and Luke from Brecon after an abortive magic mushroom pick. Jim loved this so much he rewound the intro about 50 times. I think I’d actually driven us out of the National Park and past Merthyr Tydfil before we even got 30 seconds into the song.

It’ll be the first dance at my wedding.

Epic Slow Jam, the Ur-Slow Jam.

i personally would be quite happy if this was the next 5 entries.

it'd even match with the story about [weight adjective] jim rewinding it loads.

craner

Beast of Burden

Al Green, 'Let's Stay Together'

Wow, what a gorgeous slice of sound this is. Edible. Rippling. Sweet. This is Romantic Craner talking.

When I was working as a postman in Cardiff for a year before moving to London, the radio station in the depot played this every day at some point between 5-6am. It was quite grim, getting up at 4am and sorting out all my letters for an hour, but this helped me get through that and once I hit the round in the lovely morning air I had a swing in my step, surfing on the sumptuous vibes this song radiated.

It was a great job, by the way. I had a tough round, in Grangetown and one of the longest in the city, but I was out in the fresh air and even on a heavy post day (Tuesday is the heavy post day, by the way) I was done by 11am. I was working Mon-Sat 5-11am. On Sundays I worked at Virgin Megastore in Cardiff in the Jazz and Classical section. It was great because you could put on whatever you wanted in that room when you were working it. It’s where I discovered how similar Debussy’s Preludes sounded to McCoy Tyner. It was also where I played On the Corner one day and an irate punter came up to me and said, “you do know this is the Jazz and Classical section, don’t you?” “Yeah,” I said, “this is by Miles Davis.”

I was working seven days a week for about 9 months but it meant I didn’t have to work for 6 when I moved to London, and when I did I worked at the Piccadilly Circus Virgin. There was a regular mad man who used to come in to demand Elvis Presley box sets that we never had. He dressed like a seedy, Latin American version of 60s Elvis and called himself “De Elvis”. He’s probably dead now.

I dedicate this to the Cardiff Posties and De Elvis.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

I just took barty to the pub (he just sat there watching me drink till I felt bad and got him some chips) and he kept singing if you were here tonight. He has the voice of an angel. It really soars. He closes his eyes opens up the lungs and puts everything into it. Actually very moving experience.

there was an old veteran sitting over on the other table. luke noticed his bottom lip starting to quiver and as i kept singing he burst into tears. we went over to console him. it turns out it was his first dance with his now deceased wife. he said hearing me sing it was the first time he really felt closure about her death. it'd been 11 years since her passing.

"young man, you have given me a gift that many of the greatest men in history weren't able to. you gave me beauty".

and with that he left. i often think about that man. i think about what his story can offer to us all.

"love takes on a new meaning"

luka

Just for the record, and for when Jim reads this thread, he's not fat, he's dashing intelligent witty and handsome but if craner is going to refer to people no one else knows he should turn them into comic book characters. IMO. It makes it fun for everyone. This rogues gallery of Fat Jims, Badger Gavs and Roger the Dodgers. It's not a slur on the real Jim.

craner

Beast of Burden

Jimi Hendrix, 'Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)'

The greatest guitar track ever recorded. As an intense and almost incomprehensible and insane tour de force it reminds me of the ‘Terminator 2 Remix’.

The fact that this was done in one take the morning after they recorded the turgid, endless ‘Voodoo Chile’ (with Stevie Winwood spunking his organ all over the shop) is amazing, really.

Not a lot of guitars on this list, but this tips the balance in one go.

craner

Beast of Burden
Jim is the one who said I danced "like John Travolta on Acid".

I think it was an insult, but it sounded like a compliment to me.

luka

I've got to get to the shop by 11 or I won't get any dinner but can't bear to leave with this in progress. I just had an apple and some sliced pickled beetroot.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I absolutely loved the Al Green post, and that choon would be assured a place in my top 100 (probably my top 10, actually). One of the most perfect songs ever recorded.

sadmanbarty

this is amazing. the anticipation's overpowering.

it's like that wait in between world cup semi-final penalties when you forget that england are rubbish and you think they's actually a chance we can win.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
As for my favourite selection it has to be Land Down Under

Audacious way to kick things off and I spent the whole weekend singing about the man from brussels and the Vegemite sandwich

craner

Beast of Burden

John Coltrane, 'Joy'

From First Meditations, which is like Meditations but with tunes.

We're in the last stages of the classic Quartet here before moving into the Cosmic realms, which I love too (maybe more), but this is an amazing record and not as easy to get hold of as it should be. McCoy Tyner is on fire! Going at like Hendrix! Almost to the point where it's like, no John, leave it don't come back. But then he comes back, and tears up the fucking floor. I tried driving to this once and ended up pushing 90mph in my shit Citroën without even realising. (Crescent is still stuck in my now removed old car stereo, by the way.)