sadmanbarty

John Coltrane, 'Joy'

From First Meditations, which is like Meditations but with tunes.

We're in the last stages of the classic Quartet here before moving into the Cosmic realms, which I love too (maybe more), but this is an amazing record and not as easy to get hold of as it should be. McCoy Tyner is on fire! Going at like Hendrix! Almost to the point where it's like, no John, leave it don't come back. But then he comes back, and tears up the fucking floor. I tried driving to this once and ended up pushing 90mph in my shit Citroën without even realising. (Crescent is still stuck in my now removed old car stereo, by the way.)

YEEEESSSS!!!!!

luka

He's got a mental block. So many contenders. Just two spots. Time to run to the shops....

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
As a result of this, I'm going to pay Craner what he might not realise is the ultimate compliment: I'm going to listen to a John Coltrane choon.

craner

Beast of Burden

Alice Coltrane With Strings, 'Galaxy in Satchidananda'

I have a very high tolerance threshold for this kind of thing. One thing people don't know about me is that I have a very secret, carefully hidden cosmic and mystical side to me which I have to constantly supress. I was once dragged to some Mind Body Spirit convention and was reluctantly put into a spiritual massage (actually it wasn't that reluctant because the spiritual masseuse was quite fit) only to be told that I had "strong psychic powers" and "a very open Third Eye". I mean, I knew this already, but didn't want to admit it to myself. Like, for example, when Luka is in pain, I know it, I can sense it. I don't do anything about it because I'm a materialist bastard, but I know it's happening. When I get to the next realm, when I make it to the Galaxy in Satchidananda, maybe I'll give him a bell when he's feeling sad.

Alice Coltrane was a genius. This is heavy gear. It goes crazy late on, starts throwing in big shocks of sound out of the ether, to throw you off course as you head into the vista, the realms, the Galaxy. On a good day, this is how feel inside. If you play this very loud, it sounds like heavy metal.

On a more earthly note, I also love the cover art.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't want to say thanks for every post because it looks patronising or something but thanks for every post

sadmanbarty

a twist in the tail! this unbelievable!

in his 100th entry we're going to find out he was dead all along or he's keiser soze.

sadmanbarty

has he really railed against something in the past? not keen on bowie was he?

would he post something like that just to blow our minds?

craner

Beast of Burden

Shit, I'm so transparent. The greatest irony, DJ The Droid gets the signed T-shirt.

Killah Priest, 'B.I.B.L.E'

G.O.A.T.

sadmanbarty

what a beautiful ending though.

craner, god bless you. this has been a hell of a journey. we've learned a lot about you and about ourselves. i'll never forget this night. amongst friends and rivals through trials and tribulations we are united in awe and devotion.

a wonderful list by a wonderful man.

version

I was watching the City game when they won the league under Mancini and missed Aguero's iconic goal because I went for a shit.

craner

Beast of Burden
what a beautiful ending though.

craner, god bless you. this has been a hell of a journey. we've learned a lot about you and about ourselves. i'll never forget this night. amongst friends and rivals through trials and tribulations we are united in awe and devotion.

a wonderful list by a wonderful man.

It's been hard. There have been ups and downs, like there always is in life. I've learned a lot about myself and about all of you. Love makes you do crazy things. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. No news means good news, touch wood.

I don't keep things I don't love. Things I like go straight in the bin. Things I love stay.

Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.