The Saga of Goblin Nonce.

luka

A good dad. Ralph his name was. A very frightening and terrible man who could read your thoughts. There was no hiding place, no secrets.

luka

I remember seeing his corpse laid out on the bedroom carpet. Mouth open as if gasping for a breath that wasn't there.

luka

I don't know how I felt. You have a second alone with the corpse. Perhaps you kiss the corpse. I did. I don't think I'd ever kissed my dad. Perhaps he'd kissed me, in a sentimental mood, once or twice.

luka

There he is, your dad. Laid out. Dead. A corpse. Without breath. And you know it's over. Alone now, to stumble without guidance.

luka

I doubt I cried. It's unlikely. I smoked cigarettes. My brother and I. We smoked cigarettes. We smoked weed. Well, this is it. Done. Dead. And us all alone now.

luka

I have a sister. I love my sister dearly but she is not like us. She doesn't struggle for each step. It's a different life. An alien.

luka

I could never find a place to rest. Never fitted in. Never found anything I was good at. Never could feel comfortable. For whatever reason. Who knows. Surplus to requirements. With no talents, no special skills.

luka

Not terribly clever. Not an intellectual. Not pretty. Not athletic. If anything good at stubbornly clinging to my sense of who I am. And not budging. Blindly wilful. Bloody minded in an undemonstrative way.

luka

But basically an idiot. And I try very hard to preserve this idiot energy and to remain nakedly an idiot forever. Without obscuring the fact. I am an idiot. Very stupid and unevolved.

luka

So you can look through my history as it is documented here, 15 years of it, and see how very badly behaved I am. How utterly intolerable. A toddler. A screaming kicking writhing child.

luka

There it is. And as embarrassing and shameful as it is, I dont disown it. That's who I am. A botch. Very cruel and insensitive. Wildly egotistical. Needing praise more than I need bread.

luka

Alive. Not certain of where I am or who I might be or where I might be going. Very frightened, actually, of the future.

luka

Incredibly precarious, every day a kind of magic trick. A sleight of hand. And the dust piling up all the while.

luka

Just to keep still. And reliant on so much goodwill. On the rent not going up. And and and. You know to whom you are beholden and how. Just how lucky we are, until they snatch it all away.