mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
^ that early peanut stuff is great
snoopy on sopwith camel is so much win

Is there one where Charlie Brown wakes up and instead of the sun shining through his window there's a huge face of Colonel Saunders instead? I could have completely hallucinated that though.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ derail but there's this KFC nearby that occupies a former mansion
totally weird - i can't imagine what they do with the upper floors
austere columns and then... a drive-thru
have never been inside

i should snap pics and get a biscuit or something

ah, bless the internet:
28b21eee-222e-488a-bb4d-31dcec30351a.jpg

not so much a mansion, i guess, but a big ol' house

edit: and no columns, i guess...

CrowleyHead

^ derail but there's this KFC nearby that occupies a former mansion
totally weird - i can't imagine what they do with the upper floors
austere columns and then... a drive-thru
have never been inside

i should snap pics and get a biscuit or something

ah, bless the internet:
28b21eee-222e-488a-bb4d-31dcec30351a.jpg

not so much a mansion, i guess, but a big ol' house

edit: and no columns, i guess...

They got a McDonalds like that a town or two away from where live. Except, the thing is HUGE.

polystyle

how is Inherent Vice slim ?,
read some review yesterday.

recently boning up on
Time , Memory And Inner Space
and Atrocity Exhibition by JG

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've been reading sod all lately aside from a long and almost invariably exasperating book by Goethe (which I have to read for uni), so next week I'm hoping to read at least two books these are

Edmund Morris - Beethoven: The Universal Composer (just saw it randomly in a book shop and got it out of the library today... dunno how good it will be)

Balzac - Pere Goriot (please please be better than Goethe)

and I also want to do a few more chapters of Gombrich's 'Story of Art', which I was absolutely loving until I inexplicably stopped reading it about two months ago.

jenks

thread death
Balzac - really hoping you don't feel let down by him - he's one of my absolute favourites.

Think Craner expressed admiration for his stuff as well.

Grombich good too for a general intro - have they brought an edition with decent reproductions yet?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
They seem decent enough to me, although obviously minute compared to the originals I think you get a good sense of texture from some of them.

I'm actually looking forward to Balzac, since I'm not out tonight I should be able to read some of it tomorrow without battling through a hangover.

you

Reading

Finished Dostoevskys "the possessed" a while ago. Still stunned and processing the myriad of facets on every single level - just so so good. Reading Dostoevsky is really turning into an obsession, I just cant stop thinking about his works, - in comparison he makes other writers seem rather flat and their novels like one tricks ponies for carting a singular philosophy....err yeah, hes favourite of mine.

Pierre Guyotat - um, yeah, uh, - words like visceral or raw cant really be applied to his work - or at least the experience of reading his work ( for me reading his Eden Eden Eden in english anyhow ) - but i find the relentless discharge of imagery very haunting in the most cerebral sense.... really creeps up under your skin and follows you ( an autonomous subderma advancement ;-) ) - but the aspects of the work that do this are really the ones you least expect - In many ways I find the experience not dissimilar to a J G Sebald - just me??

The News as a novel ( a while ago now but Mentioning Sebald prompted me to mention Burn here... ) - great great work.

Bataille - Accursed Share - Just picked this one up.

Also stumbled around Reza Negarestanis Corpse Bride in Collapse IV - two thirds seemed comprehensible to me then the connections fell away and I was left more dubious than anything - Feel Free to PM me on this Rezaphiles....

Akira 2 - Word.

robin

i just finished in europe by geert mak,which i would highly recommend to anyone who wants an extremely readable history of europe in the twentieth century.

i had to put on hold berlin and ghosts of berlin by brian ladd, since i'm not there anymore,but i'd highly recommend them based on what i've read so far.

now i'm reading speak,memory by nabokov, which i'm fairly blown away by,and rereading the rings of saturn by sebald which i love.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
how is Inherent Vice slim ?,
read some review yesterday.

recently boning up on
Time , Memory And Inner Space
and Atrocity Exhibition by JG

Only 33 pages into it as I've not had much time to read lately - and I only bought it because I'm a failed Pynchonite up to now having tried the biggies and felt inadequate ( :slanted:) since he's so highly rated. Read that this was 'easier' to get into. It doesn't impress me a great writing as yet and I find the 70's-speak a bit...cliched (?) - but perhaps that is how they spoke in America back then (guess he should know). Some amusing parts. I like crime novels so it had the double appeal of being a Pynchon I might finish with private eye content.

Love Atrocity Exhibition...perhaps because, like Bill, it seems to offer a puzzle...and rewrites (or trashes) 'the rules' of Lit. Have you got the annotated edition?

polystyle

I have the Research edition, is that what you mean ?
We are recording the A Exhibition voice over tonight, in a few hours.
Cheers
:D

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
No, the Flamingo edition, which has notes on the text by Ballard. Two great collections by RE/Search; 'Quotes' and 'Conversations'.

What's the recording for?

MrFence

Oh the humanity.
I finished The Drowned World by Ballard this morning and will read the notes at the back with a cup of tea shortly, I'm also wandering around After Finitude by Quentin Meillassoux.

Next I reckon on reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson and whatever philosophy on my bookshelf that my brain can work with.

pajbre

prisoner of love-jean genet (really stunning and melancholy account of his time with the PLO and the black panthers)

the book of disquiet-fernando pessoa (kafka meets wu-tang?)

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
The Pessoa book's fascinating - but Wu-Tang? :slanted:

Reading 'He Died With His Eyes Open', Derek Raymond, again - first of The Factory series, which I read way back when the man was still alive. Odd writer, by turns brilliant and amateurish.