jenks

thread death
All four of the Riding quartet and also the miners' strike book - nineteen eighty-four (i think). I have not read his Tokyo book yet, anybody got a good word to say about it?

I hear teh Clough book is going to be a film. Wonder what Nigel makes of it all?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I have not read his Tokyo book yet, anybody got a good word to say about it?

yeah, i really enjoyed it. not read his other stuff (been meaning to for ages...).

claustrophopic. humid. dirty. post-war. tokyo. repetition. becomes hypnotic.

looking forward to next one

don_quixote

Trent End
All four of the Riding quartet and also the miners' strike book - nineteen eighty-four (i think). I have not read his Tokyo book yet, anybody got a good word to say about it?

I hear teh Clough book is going to be a film. Wonder what Nigel makes of it all?
barbara HATES it

http://nffcblog.com/2007/10/19/clough-family-condemn-defamatory-brian-clough-book/

god knows how these films will turn out. i'm massively worried about the clough film (media coverage of it appears to be VERY luvvie, i get the feeling theyll try to appease families of the drama a lot more than the book ever did), not so worried about the channel 4 films though cos theyre telly, mostly fictional and ive got a lot of faith in channel 4 drama for some reason.

that said how the hell any of these films will manage to capture the atmosphere of the texts i do not know.

crackerjack

god knows how these films will turn out. i'm massively worried about the clough film (media coverage of it appears to be VERY luvvie, i get the feeling theyll try to appease families of the drama a lot more than the book ever did).

Johnny Giles succesfully sued him, I believe. so expect a drastic downplaying of his part in the film (or a possible reinvention as some a delightful chirpy Irishman who never fouled anyone ever)

Wildly off topic, but Nigel appears to be following his Dad to Derby.

We used to have a footy thread, once :slanted:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i saw Altrincham play at Burton Albion in the Northern Premier League many years ago (Nigel had been in charge for a few seasons at this stage) and they wheeled the great man out at half-time, prodded him out to the pitch. to massive applause from both home and travelling fans (this was 01-02, so a few years before the great man departed this mortal coil).

very humbling and you could tell he was in bad health then, TBH.

John Giles. what was the tagline in his old Express column?

The man the players read.

quality :D

don_quixote

Trent End
did anyone see the trailer for "the damned united" last night? it said "the fall and rise of a legend". yikes. sounds like they're drifting away from the book then.

crackerjack

The White Tiger.

Unspeakably brilliant. The author's voice is nailed on, just perfect.

Never really felt like reading a Booker winner before. Are they always this good?

IdleRich

IdleRich
After picking it up last year I've finally got round to starting Tristram Shandy - or The Life and Times of Tristram Shandy Gentleman to give it its full title. So far seems quite readable although the archaic language and punctuation combined with a digressionary and peculiar style mean that it's sometimes hard to grasp exactly what he's getting at the first time you read a paragraph. Especially because sometimes it's not really explained until the following few lines.

Lichen

The White Tiger.

Unspeakably brilliant. The author's voice is nailed on, just perfect.

Never really felt like reading a Booker winner before. Are they always this good?

I loved it too, especially the voice - you could his lips curling, couldn't you?

crackerjack

I loved it too, especially the voice - you could his lips curling, couldn't you?

Aye, and i loved the way he retained all the habits and superstitions that seem (to my outsider's eye) completely natural for a dirt-poor Indian. Didn't try to cast him as some ghetto genius, just a smart kid denied a fair chance.

I've seen suggestions that it's all a big metaphor for India's emergence from empire, which strikes me as entirely plausible.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Anyone read 'Nostromo'? I'm considering it, I found 'The Secret Agent' pretty fascinating."
Yes, but I'm too drunk now to say anything meaningful. I think that The Secret Agent is sort of better although it's not such obviously Great Literatutre if that means anything. For me Lord Jim was the best Conrad one although I've never read Heart of Darkness.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
I have to teach a class Monday on the first three chapters of Foucault's Madness and Civilization (prof won't be there), and I haven't started it yet. Probably won't have much time for it tomorrow as I'm going to a Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction concert and will be extremely drunk/stoned/fatigued when I get home. Are there any good Cliff Notes versions of this text you guys could recommend?

polystyle

Finished rereading Wm Burroughs Cities Of The Red Night.
Sometimes the early Burroughs books just have to be reread to really catch his tone,
first time around all the local flora and 'fauna' of his writing takes up your brain space.
Like Ballard , Burroughs does have his fave themes and they keep surfacing,
all the time .
But through the mucus, I like his sense of travel.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Havoc, in its 3rd year
Ronan Bennett.

enjoying it, quite plain text, the threat of violence ever present

probably useful training as - wrt Benny B, Craner and Droid on the Updike thread - i intend to get hold of McCarthy's Blood Meridian soon

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Anyone read 'Nostromo'? I'm considering it, I found 'The Secret Agent' pretty fascinating.

Nostromo defeated me. i got maybe 250 pages into it before i ran out of steam. i rarely put down a book----this one is very slow to develop. i do fully intend on trying again.