bandshell

Grand High Witch
My favourite Lynch film is probably Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive. Leaning more towards Mulholland Drive. I felt the nu-metal soundtrack in Lost Highway cheapened it slightly.

MD felt a bit more finely crafted and like he had a better idea of what it was he was trying to do.

Last edited:

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I was disappointed by Lost Highway...having paid a fair bit for it too! Re-sold it for the same price, though. ;)

I got it for about a fiver (new) a while back. Seemed to be hard to get hold for a while though.

Apparently, Bill Pullman actually played the sax in that club scene.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
My favourite Lynch film is probably Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive. Leaning more towards Mulholland Drive. I felt the nu-metal soundtrack in Lost Highway cheapened it slightly.

MD felt a bit more finely crafted and like he had a better idea of what it was he was trying to do.

I used to agree with that exactly, but rewatched Lost Highway last year and was blown away. In a way I think it works better as a whole, whereas Mulholland can seem a little bit like a succession of (brilliant) set pieces. I think Fire:Walk With Me is utterly stunning too. Still not seen Elephant Man, ridiculosuly enough.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Surprised that any fan of Lynch's earlier stuff would dislike IE, it seems to take all the things that make his other films good and ramp them up to the max. Up to and beyond their logical conclusion you might say - maybe that's your problem, you think it kind of went so far into Lynchishness that it became self-parody? I guess I thought that watching the extras when they were talking about him saying to the props guys "get me a stone gargoyle, a one legged-dwarf and a blind monkey (or whatever) for the next scene" and when they looked surprised saying "You're working on a Lynch film". Anyway, I loved it - though possibly not as much as The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant.

I must say, and I've only seen it once, that I thought IE was Lynch intentionally taking the piss, showing his self-awareness of the 'Lynchian' tropes.

Petra von Kant's amazing. The contempt seethes from the screen!

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Watched Synecdoche, New York last night. I wouldn't unreservedly recommend it, but I thought it was great. Dragged a little, but on the whole I enjoyed it.

Miserable film though. Didn't help my mood.

slowtrain

I used to agree with that exactly, but rewatched Lost Highway last year and was blown away. In a way I think it works better as a whole, whereas Mulholland can seem a little bit like a succession of (brilliant) set pieces. I think Fire:Walk With Me is utterly stunning too. Still not seen Elephant Man, ridiculosuly enough.

I thought the first half of Fire Walk with Me was absolutely brilliant (all of it up until cooper turns up at the trailer and the car with the lipstick on it) it should've ended there and it would've been wicked. The bar scene is cool, but the rest is a bit of a flop.

Haven't seen Eraserhead but I think Twin Peaks is prolly his best, despite the big-ish flaws it does have.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I need to see Fire Walk With Me again I think, remember very little about it except that I enjoyed it.
Certainly the bit at the start of Lost Highway when they are being filmed in their bed while they are sleeping is one of the most powerful and straightforwardly/explicably creepy bits in any Lynch film (inspired Haneke for Hidden maybe?) but, whoever said that about the nu-metal, you're right. I remember being dragged out of the experience at times by music that wasn't just shit but which totally lacked any of the qualities of mystery or depth or even creepy banality that you would normally expect. I'm certainly not saying that the music in a film needs to be "good" as such but it needs to be used well and his normally sure touch let him down there.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
It was me that made the nu-metal comment. It completely broke the illusion suddenly hearing some Rammstein (I know they're industrial, but you know what I mean) or Marilyn Manson song. Seeing Manson in it also.

I still think it's great, mind you.

Robert Blake is chilling.

article04.jpg

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Are we still talking favorite Lynch films?
Surprise Blue Velvet didn't come up; too obvious?
And Wild at Heart - is there a better Lynch character than Bobby Peru?

I love Lost Highway and everything that came after, but they feel like late-period Lynch to me (not that's a bad thing, but.).

e/y

Blue Velvet is one of those movies that I can re-watch repeatedly w/o needing a break of a few weeks.

I must say, and I've only seen it once, that I thought IE was Lynch intentionally taking the piss, showing his self-awareness of the 'Lynchian' tropes.

that's what I thought, too - plus it seemed like was just trying to be very difficult. still, an interesting concept, and quite a few of the scenes were wonderful / fascinating.

Last edited:

you

I'm a massive Lynch fan, I like his art too, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Elephant Man, Eraserhead, all classics - mulholland drive is amazing, Inland Empire is just lynch doing lynch - which is, I feel, quite lynchian essentially..... rabbit holes, simulacra, parallels etc....

I've just watched Lars Von Triers Antichrist - wow, best suspense horror I've seen since.....audition.... but darker... wow

Props to whoever recommened TO live and Die in LA - saw that the other day - great flick, ghudang - William Friedkin sure can do chase scenes...

Last edited:

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Just watched The Man Who Wasn't There. Hadn't seen it before. Thought it was excellent. Possibly my new favourite Coen Brothers film. The whole feel and atmosphere of it was brilliant. BBT was awesome.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm a massive Lynch fan, I like his art too, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Elephant Man, Eraserhead, all classics - mulholland drive is amazing, Inland Empire is just lynch doing lynch - which is, I feel, quite lynchian essentially..... rabbit holes, simulacra, parallels etc....

I've just watched Lars Von Triers Antichrist - wow, best suspense horror I've seen since.....audition.... but darker... wow

Have you seen those animations he did? Always meant to pick up the DVD of it, bu haven't yet...

I put Antichrist in the same basket as Inland Empire, ie terrible self-parody, except I think Lynch knew he was doing it and von Trier didn't. Spent most of the film laughing, I have to admit. Love Audition though! Defintiely did NOT laugh much during that...

you

Have you seen those animations he did? Always meant to pick up the DVD of it, bu haven't yet...

I put Antichrist in the same basket as Inland Empire, ie terrible self-parody, except I think Lynch knew he was doing it and von Trier didn't. Spent most of the film laughing, I have to admit. Love Audition though! Defintiely did NOT laugh much during that...

animations - don't think I've seen those... by lynch? Will have to check that out...

Antichrist is actually like Von Trier trying Lynch on.... the fox hole, the sound design, the hospital vase zoom in to letterbox exit.... all reeked of Lynch to me... Having seen the idiots, Dancer in the dark, mandelay, dogville etc Antichrist struck me as being very un-Von trier.... very lynchian instead - anyone else see this?? I'd say its an odd Von Trier film but possibly my favourite... be interesting to see where his next two films lead too, if his style changes much or if he reverts back to his older style more yknow?